Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
I never even realized there was a "rivalry" of any sorts excluding sports teams until I went up to sf awhile back.
They seem to hate us socal folks up there. Lol
I could care less....i love visiting sf and love living in la
Well that's the general attitude overall, people in NorCal care and talk about SoCal a lot more than the other way around. Many Southern Californians don't really seem to care and laugh it off like you. I just moved back up north after 9 years in SoCal and find it fairly annoying how much people talk out of their a*ses about SoCal, especially considering usually none of the people talking have actually ever lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well that's the general attitude overall, people in NorCal care and talk about SoCal a lot more than the other way around.
I agree with what you say except for the word 'care'. Caring implies some sort of endearment and that isnt the case at all.

Its more of a misplaced snobbery/smugness. Perhaps a pity or sense of dissapointment.

However the topic of SoCal doesnt come up often. Its only when the topic comes up that people are extremely vocal and sharp in their criticism.

Like I said, much of it misplaced and uncalled for.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I agree with what you say except for the word 'care'. Caring implies some sort of endearment and that isnt the case at all.

Its more of a misplaced snobbery/smugness. Perhaps a pity or sense of dissapointment.

However the topic of SoCal doesnt come up often. Its only when the topic comes up that people are extremely vocal and sharp in their criticism.

Like I said, much of it misplaced and uncalled for.
"Caring" doesn't necessarily imply that at all, especially the way I was using it. What I mean is that some people give thought/regard and attention to SoCal and not for really any good reason either. But some people here tend to be very over opinionated anyways so maybe that's part of it. And the ironic thing is many of these people are so critical of SoCal and other places but get extremely defensive if you dare point out any flaws of the Bay Area and the people here. But either way, as you pointed out it's just an occasional occurrence and not some sort of daily or often thing.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
It's true, Northern California does "care" more about this goofy rivalry.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I would take Northern Cal anyday of the week, I love the people there. They are not that snobby and they tend to be very bright.

People from So Cal are really caught up in stereotypes and view you based on race/ethnicity while people in Nor Cal are not like that at all. I have had great experiences with them, god forbid I EVER go back to So Cal.
I'm just curious if anyone else caught this bit of irony? Anyone? Just me then, ok...

Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
"Caring" doesn't necessarily imply that at all, especially the way I was using it. What I mean is that some people give thought/regard and attention to SoCal and not for really any good reason either. But some people here tend to be very over opinionated anyways so maybe that's part of it. And the ironic thing is many of these people are so critical of SoCal and other places but get extremely defensive if you dare point out any flaws of the Bay Area and the people here. But either way, as you pointed out it's just an occasional occurrence and not some sort of daily or often thing.
I agree with all of this.

My main point is that its not like people sit around obsessing about SoCal because that couldnt be further from the truth. We don't think about SoCal hardly ever. Im pretty sure that you know that being a Bay Area person urself.

But when the topic comes up, people's claws come out and the comments can be pretty nasty.

Having lived in both, I love both areas quite a bit and think we compliment each other more than anything else.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Seriously, SoCal should not be supporting that many people. It's almost a desert, yet they are taking water from another part of the state to support somewhere which is unsustainable.
You do realize the following, correct?:

"The San Francisco Bay Area imports more than 65% of its water through the Hetch Hetchy Aqueduct, the Mokelumne Aqueduct, the State Water Project and the Contra Costa Canal (part of the Central Valley Project)."

The Hetch Hetchy reservoir is about 200 miles from San Francisco, near Yosemite in the Sierras.

Is that "stealing" water as well?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I agree with all of this.

My main point is that its not like people sit around obsessing about SoCal because that couldnt be further from the truth. We don't think about SoCal hardly ever. Im pretty sure that you know that being a Bay Area person urself.

But when the topic comes up, people's claws come out and the comments can be pretty nasty.

Having lived in both, I love both areas quite a bit and think we compliment each other more than anything else.
True, some people here are too obsessed with politics and the likes to worry about SoCal, haha kidding. No but I agree with what you say here. People don't randomly bring it up out of nowhere usually, talk about sports teams tend to bring it out the most.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'm just curious if anyone else caught this bit of irony? Anyone? Just me then, ok...
Ignore this user, the guy has a chip on his shoulder, an agenda, or something and bizarre preconceived notions about race in CA and nothing you tell him will change his distorted view of reality. His threads in the CA forum were even worse than on here.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
You do realize the following, correct?:

"The San Francisco Bay Area imports more than 65% of its water through the Hetch Hetchy Aqueduct, the Mokelumne Aqueduct, the State Water Project and the Contra Costa Canal (part of the Central Valley Project)."

The Hetch Hetchy reservoir is about 200 miles from San Francisco, near Yosemite in the Sierras.

Is that "stealing" water as well?
This is true and I've pointed this out before to people who get all worked up about importing water to Southern CA. I don't think a lot of people here realize that many of our water sources aren't exactly "local". And Hetch Hetchy used to be a mini-Yosemite before it was filled up from what I understand. Some people here would probably have an aneurysm if LA had destroyed a Yosemite-like valley for water, haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City