Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

981 posts, read 805,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandyou View Post
oh, i see. Sorry, i missed this. I've got relatives out in la who i've stayed with on a number of occasions, and have spent some time there during vacations and trips out west. It was an ok place to visit--i liked the getty, for instance--and the proximity to the beach was nice. But the city itself did absolutely nothing for me. Sorry.
ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
Los Angeles is often hated for its stereo types.. vacuous,materialistic,Hollywood ivory tower liberalism,pollution,traffic issues,gangs,illegal immigrant issues ad infinitum. Detroit is often perceived as a cold, dirty,economically stagnant city. Some of these stereo types are dead on IMO, depending on where you are within either city. Many people hate LA simply out of jeolousy; I don't think any one is too envious of Detroit...Not a huge fan of LA as a whole myself, but there are certain areas of town I would live in a heart beat. Detroit..not so much. Try telling the people having lunch outside in 70 degrees at a swank West Side bistro."that LA sucks" they might have a different response for you than someone sand blasting the graffiti off their walls in Downey.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
I understand why LA gets a lot of flak, particularly from the east coast. For one, LA for all of it's hype and glamour doesn't fit our preconcieved noitions of what a city portrayed as such SHOULD look like. We get to Los angeles, take a look at the freeways, the small downtown, the sprawl of the valley and write it off, dismissing the entire region as some sort of a social hoax. I too fell victim to this mentality. I'm originally from Boston and craved the vibrancy and glamour we come to expect from manhattan and hollywood. What I found when arriving in LA was a completly different city.

10 years later and now living in manhattan, I have since gone back to LA and found my response to be quite different. LA never claimed to be NYC, it never once misrepresented itself. is it different? absolutely. A whole different lifestyle. No 3am cab rides texting in the back rockin the latest gear before jetting to a rooftop party in the west village. no, LA is laid back. It's SUNNY. It's sunglasses in december relaxing in Santa Monica, sitting at an outdoor cafe. It's privacy, being able to stay fit, eat well (great produce), and still have a TON of amenities around. There is still a tremndous amount of opportunity in LA, a ton of industry, and all of the culture and options that come from being the nations second biggest city. I don't think I could ever permenently live in LA again, but 3 months a year? Hell Yeah. The natural beauty, the weather, and yes, the amenities give it a nod. NYC will be waiting. For all of NY's strengths (and I do belive its the only US city to truly compete on a global level) it has it's drawbacks. It's crowded, expensive, cold and tough. Things are easier in LA.
LA is all of those things you mentioned, and then it shares all of those characteristics that you mentioned about NYC. I don't know what you people have experienced while in LA, but LA has the same recreational amenities as NYC, and then some. LA won't give you the "urban experience" of NYC because of the layout of the city, but it offers the exact same pursuits, just LA-style.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 PM

160 posts, read 498,792 times
I like Los Angeles but it's not on my radar for places I would live right now. Detroit is decaying which is a shame because it could have easily been one of the best cities in the U.S handsdown. I still have a positive opinon about the overall metro area though.

I don't 'hate' any cities, I just know that some cities I would not want to live in but I don't bash them because of it.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times
Here's my take on why LA gets so much hate thrown its way. You have people who love the city and you have people who love the suburbs. LA doesn't adequately satisfy either one of those two groups. For urban lovers, LA is far too car-oriented, decentralized, and lacks the pedestrian/transit culture typically expected of big cities. However at the same time, LA has become too crowded, congested, and costly for suburban lovers. Why settle for a 2br/1ba bungalow with a tiny yard in LA when one could get a 4 br/3.5ba in Texas, Arizona, or Nevada? Generally, people feel LA offers all the disadvantages of city and suburban living, with none of the advantages of either. Now that's not entirely true, but is true in many instances.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Here's my take on why LA gets so much hate thrown its way. You have people who love the city and you have people who love the suburbs. LA doesn't adequately satisfy either one of those two groups. For urban lovers, LA is far too car-oriented, decentralized, and lacks the pedestrian/transit culture typically expected of big cities. However at the same time, LA has become too crowded, congested, and costly for suburban lovers. Why settle for a 2br/1ba bungalow with a tiny yard in LA when one could get a 4 br/3.5ba in Texas, Arizona, or Nevada? Generally, people feel LA offers all the disadvantages of city and suburban living, with none of the advantages of either. Now that's not entirely true, but is true in many instances.
Yes, I can see that.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You've never been there and all of your post are bashing either Chicago or Milwaukee.
Nearly every poster on this forum who bashes Chicago has fewer than 100 posts and has registered within the last couple of weeks. Methinks it is the same guy. And whoever it is must live in a place where there is absolutely nothing going on, because he/she apparently has a significant amount of time on their hands.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
It's very strange how so many of these threads I read having no mention of Chicago what so ever instantly become these huge anti-Chicago rants. I mean seriously.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Nearly every poster on this forum who bashes Chicago has fewer than 100 posts and has registered within the last couple of weeks. Methinks it is the same guy. And whoever it is must live in a place where there is absolutely nothing going on, because he/she apparently has a significant amount of time on their hands.
I think the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
It's very strange how so many of these threads I read having no mention of Chicago what so ever instantly become these huge anti-Chicago rants. I mean seriously.
It's one poster who keeps trolling, gets banned and does it again.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM

97 posts, read 238,556 times
Detroit is as good as any other city. I still got hope for the city of Detroit. I've never been to L.A, but keep your head up L.A and look to God, then....your whole city will change regardless of race and nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City