Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better skyline?
Atlanta 196 52.27%
Miami 179 47.73%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, but Miami suffers from not having any supertalls. It's highest is 794 feet. Atlanta has 3 buildings taller than that, and another supertall is waiting in the wings once the final design and financing is worked out. 1400 Peachtree is expected to be 20 stories higher than the BofA tower.
Miami also has a few supertalls in the works also.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
most of these images only show miami's brickell and downtown area, they dont show the health district( the first photo has the health district, its the random clusters of semi highrises) or design district, some do, but 90% of the photos are what i said in my first sentence.

this is the area past downtown , its dense but not as tall
See, these are the photos that I like of Miami. They show different angles instead of the same old angles.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami also has a few supertalls in the works also.

Indeed! I was looking at some of the future buildings planned. They look beautiful.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Indeed! I was looking at some of the future buildings planned. They look beautiful.
People just don't understand Miami's skyline. All those condos in the Miami skyline FIT the style of Miami, because of it's location in a tropical climate. All those Gothic buildings that you see in ATL, Houston, etc, etc, wouldn't FIT in Miami. Same thing vice versa, all the pastel colored condos in Miami wouldn't fit in ATL or Houston. People just don't understand that certain architecture fits in certain climates. Miami also DOES have signature and standout buildings, CONTRARY to popular belief. The Bank Of America building is one of them. Miami is like the whipping boy of the South for some reason. Oh well, when you're different people tend to hate, because people don't understand things that are different.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
People just don't understand Miami's skyline. All those condos in the Miami skyline FIT the style of Miami, because of it's location in a tropical climate. All those Gothic buildings that you see in ATL, Houston, etc, etc, wouldn't FIT in Miami. Same thing vice versa, all the pastel colored condos in Miami wouldn't fit in ATL or Houston. People just don't understand that certain architecture fits in certain climates. Miami also DOES have signature and standout buildings, CONTRARY to popular belief. The Bank Of America building is one of them. Miami is like the whipping boy of the South for some reason. Oh well, when you're different people tend to hate, because people don't understand things that are different.
I agree with everything you said, especially the comparisons in style of buildings across the country. I have been to many cities in the east and I see the downtowns and to me they are bland. They all have the same "BRICK-LIKE" type of feel. Which is nothing wrong with that, it just says "Our Downtown Matches So and So city" .

I personally do think the style FITS. Most people dont like change because change leads to great things. Most people dont like Florida because it normally is ranks high amongst statistics in many categories. Population and economic attention surpassed that of other mportant cities and boom we get bashed. (Not Bashing Any City or Region imparticular).

That Bank Of America building is indeed unique just as Orlando's is as it is shaped like a stairwell. I beleive Miami's buildings compliments the environment of the region more to FIT in with whats around them. That being said in My opinion is has a fantastic skyline. So does many other cities of course!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,938 times
It's just a matter of personal taste. I'm from Miami and I love my hometown but the buildings aren't that appealing to me. It's bigger than atlantas skyline Atlanta skyline is much more modern even the condos are very modern looking in Atlanta. Theres a better variety of buildings in Atlanta. It's true that Miami skyline fits the enviroment...

Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
It's just a matter of personal taste. I'm from Miami and I love my hometown but the buildings aren't that appealing to me. It's bigger than atlantas skyline Atlanta skyline is much more modern even the condos are very modern looking in Atlanta. Theres a better variety of buildings in Atlanta. It's true that Miami skyline fits the enviroment...
All man, my post Atlanta pictures post gets deleted because I forgot to put a link, I know it can't be the size because ol dude posted 9 large images of Miami
first time posting pictures in the city Vs. city thread but I know better next time
but anyways Atlanta has more diversity in architecture the posters above tried to paint Atlanta as all Gothic, when Atlanta is modern and post modern at most. I kinda agree a little with them about the Miami skyline fits the enviroment thing but Hong Hong and others are tropical too and there skylines are more diverse. I envy Atlanta vs. Miami Skyline because what the other one has, the other is missing! it's quality vs quantity

Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,846 times
Miami without question

Old 01-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
All man, my post Atlanta pictures post gets deleted because I forgot to put a link, I know it can't be the size because ol dude posted 9 large images of Miami
first time posting pictures in the city Vs. city thread but I know better next time
but anyways Atlanta has more diversity in architecture the posters above tried to paint Atlanta as all Gothic, when Atlanta is modern and post modern at most. I kinda agree a little with them about the Miami skyline fits the enviroment thing but Hong Hong and others are tropical too and there skylines are more diverse. I envy Atlanta vs. Miami Skyline because what the other one has, the other is missing! it's quality vs quantity
I didn't mean that ATL is ALL Gothic architecture. I just mean, ALOT of ATL's signature buildings wouldn't fit in Miami's environment. And Hong Kong isn't like Miami, Honk Kong doesn't have the same tropical Caribbean feel that Miami has, which INSPIRED the type pf architecture you see in Miami's skyline. Miami's is a tropical, vacation, Latin American, Resort City. The pastel colored highrise condominiums are very fitting of what type of city Miami is. Colorful buildings, Colorful lights.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM

228 posts, read 460,213 times
Does anybody think that Miami can keep up this building craze, even after the recession ends? Personally, I doubt it, or I at least see many other cities doing so before Miami. I beleive that Miami has, unfortunatley, overbuilt and now needs to fill up what it already has.Miami was centered too much on housing and condos, and a big industry was tourisim. As far as that goes, places based on tourisim can go through major ups and downs.

Not that I don't like Miami, because I would really like to see it again. However, right now, the future doesn't look quite as bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City