Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM

190 posts, read 465,699 times

Advertisements

los angeles? the entire gulf coast is more tropical than LA

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Alabama, Houston etc is the TEMPERATE ZONE, NOT subtropical.

Subtropical means a transitinal zone between the tropics and the temperate zone ( Miami to Key West )

You two just do not get it........

Miami in its NATURAL STATE would have predominantly TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

MUCH of Miami's tropical vegetation was INTIALLY IMPORTED from Hispanola. Yes, Miami can grow Cuban Royals but they are VERY COLD HARDY for a tropical species.

The coconut palms ( a bit less cold hardy) DO NOT do THAT well. Many in Miami are freeze damaged and they DO NOT THRIVE outside of a tropical area. Full height is usually not reached, and even if so they are freeze damaged . Coconut palms do NOT thrive in Miami. They THRIVE IN PUERTO RICO though.

MIAMI CANNOT GROW BREADFRUIT DURIAN MANGOSTEEN LIPSTICK PALMS
UNPROTECTED.

So, NO, Miami ALSO does NOT live up to the true tropics as far as vegetation. Miami also does NOT live up tp the true tropics as far as sunlight strength. Miami also does NOT live up to the true tropics for temps

HONG KONG IS WARMER AT NIGHT IN WINTER DO THE RESEARCH EACH MONTH IN WINTER YEAR BY YEAR.IN THE ARCHIVES

YOU WILL SEE WHY HONG KONG BEATS IT.

YOU TWO DO NOT GET THAT HONG KONG IS A STABLE 50 - 68 DEGREES IN WINTER. THE LOW IS NOT NEARLY AS LOW AS MIAMI'S

The difference is MIami heats up in the DAY alot . THis factors in the average.

HONG KONG CAN GROW SOME DELICATE TROPICALS UNLIKE MIAMI BECAUSE HONG KONG IS FAIRLY CONSISTENT. CONSISTENT 50- DEGREE LOW TEMPS TRUMP THE UPPER THIRTIES OF MIAMI.

MIAMI WILL DIP LOWER THAN HONG KONG IN WINTER AND FOR A FAIR AMOUNT OF TIME- (AT LEAST 15- 20 DAYS A WINTER)..

THIS IS A FACT.

MIAMI HAS COLDER ABSOLUTELY TEMPERATURES IN THE WINTER MONTHS AT NIGHT.

SO LISTEN CLOSELY YOU TWO:

HONG KONG CAN GROW THE LIPSTICK PALM

MIAMI CANNOT

There IS a REASON for this. The REASON is HONG KONG'S ABSOLUTELY LOWS IN AT NIGHT IN WINTER ARE NOT as low as Miami's.

Climate of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Humid subtropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 AM

150 posts, read 560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
los angeles? the entire gulf coast is more tropical than LA
Quite true:

Cities on the Gulf Coast are more “tropical” in their annual weather (humidity, high rainfall, long hot season, hot temps…etc) than a city like Los Angeles or San Diego.

However… both regions climatically fall under the “Subtropical” climate classification: 8 or more months 50 F (10 C) or higher. Los Angeles and San Diego of course are a “Dry Summer Subtropical” (often called Mediterranean) known as Cs…while locations in the Gulf and South Atlantic are known as “Humid Subtropical” or Cf. Both regions are located in the subtropics however by climate classifications.

But your right in the sense that a city like LA has more of a dry (even desert) climate than a typically tropical climate. I have often thought they should rename the subtropical dry summer climate (Cs) to just "subtropical dry".

Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Quite true:

Cities on the Gulf Coast are more “tropical” in their annual weather (humidity, high rainfall, long hot season, hot temps…etc) than a city like Los Angeles or San Diego.

However… both regions climatically fall under the “Subtropical” climate classification: 8 or more months 50 F (10 C) or higher. Los Angeles and San Diego of course are a “Dry Summer Subtropical” (often called Mediterranean) known as Cs…while locations in the Gulf and South Atlantic are known as “Humid Subtropical” or Cf. Both regions are located in the subtropics however by climate classifications.

But your right in the sense that a city like LA has more of a dry (even desert) climate than a typically tropical climate. I have often thought they should rename the subtropical dry summer climate (Cs) to just "subtropical dry".

very interesting. were does brownsville fit in? is it more like new orleans, houston, pensacola or more like south florida I wonder?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because your assertions about Miami being colder at night are an attempt to mis-represent the facts. Whatever way you try to skew it facts are facts. Hong Kong is on average cooler than Miami in winter. Extremes, or unusual lows aside, it's the averages that matter most in climate classifications. Those archives you talk about refer to odd cold spells. Miami's January low average is nowhere near the high 30s. As we've pointed out it's about 60F. You make it out that temps in the 30s are common in Miami when it can get years without temps below 40F.

Others can continue to argue with you but you seem so set in your ways so I won't continue this. Either way, I don't think it's terribly important, people will still flock to Miami for it's warm weather.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because your assertions about Miami being colder at night are an attempt to mis-represent the facts. Whatever way you try to skew it facts are facts. Hong Kong is on average cooler than Miami in winter. Extremes, or unusual lows aside, it's the averages that matter most in climate classifications. Those archives you talk about refer to odd cold spells. Miami's January low average is nowhere near the high 30s. As we've pointed out it's about 60F. You make it out that temps in the 30s are common in Miami when it can get years without temps below 40F.

Others can continue to argue with you but you seem so set in your ways so I won't continue this. Either way, I don't think it's terribly important, people will still flock to Miami for it's warm weather.
including myself

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Quite true:

Good point. Warm does not mean tropical or even subtropical. The Southwest is as warm or warmer than much of the Gulf Coast but in no way reflects a tropical climate. The exception is the summer monsoon that primarily effects Arizona & New Mexico [also the desert regions of California & southern Nevada]. During the monsoon season humidity can soar & thunderstorms are not uncommon. That's when visiting places like Palm Springs & Phoenix can be deadly [temps over 100F w/ dew points above 70].

What surprises people is that Los Angeles is warmer than Gulf Coast cities [Houston\ New Orleans\ Jacksonville, etc] during winter & isn't much cooler than even Brownsville & Tampa. All areas much further south than California. It has to do with how the Pacific ocean modifies winter air masses & that Canadian cold gets blocked from entering California due to the high mountains. LA rarely observes minimums below 40F [even less than Tampa & Orlando].

But, as you point out, the climate of LA & San Diego is southern "Mediterranean" [more like northern Africa] with a long dry season [often over 7 months without rain] and sunny weather. Summers are delightfully mild compared to the rest of the U.S. right along the immediate coastline though much warmer just a few miles away from the Pacific. And winters are also mild [mainly 60's-low 70's] with occasional rain. Not tropical by any means but warmer than most of the U.S. from November to March.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My husband, who is a Science teacher and teaches this, said that the tropics are between 23 1/2 degrees north and south of the equator; therefore, that makes Hong Kong tropical. I'd say he's pretty reliable when it comes to this since he has Masters + 30 in Science and has been teaching this every year.

So this would therefore rule out Miami. It's tropical in nature, but it's not IN the tropics. Hong Kong is.
EXACTLY!!! Tropical in Nature. I am NOT saying Miami is in the tropics or gets as much sun light as a place in the tropics. All I am saying that if you define climate on how it is defined by Precipitation and Temperature Miami has a tropical CLIMATE!

I am going by my many geography books I use in college Miami has a tropical CLIMATE!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 AM

525 posts, read 760,495 times
I have NOT misrepresented ANYTHING.

Miami gets into the mid to upper 70's ( at least 70) for the maximum in January usually , even when it gets its characteristic COLD mid to upper 30's.

Hong Kong average maximum in January is only 67. Miami's average maximum in January is 76. This is a huge reason why Miami "averages" warmer, the DAY factors into it.

HOWEVER, HONG KONG IS MORE STABLE IN WINTER THAN MIAMI AS FAR AS LOW NIGHT TEMPS.

Hong Kong low Miami low

January 1

January 2

January 3

January 4 61 44

January 5 62 43

Jnauary 6 55 40

January 7 51 44

January 8 50 49

Jnauary 9 54 38

January 10 59 35

January 11 53 36

January 12 49 43

Jnauary 13 49 47

January 14 54 54

Jnauary 15 58 63

Jnauary 16 57 71

January 17 57 68

Jnauary 18 59 63

Jnauary 19 60 57

January 20 69 56

January 21 71 71

HONG KONG, while not exactly warm in winter, IS CONSISTENT AS STILL HAS TROPICAL CALIBER TEMPS

MIAMI GETS TOO COLD FOR DELICATE TROPICALS.

THIS IS TYPICAL EVERY YEAR. HONG KONG WINS FOR THE NIGHT LOW.

AGAIN DO THE R E S E A R C H .

Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

YEAR BY YEAR BY YEAR BY YEAR DECEMBER, JANUARY AND FEBRUARY LOW NIGHT TEMPS.

HONG KONG IS WARMER AT NIGHT IN THE WINTER - MORE FAR MORE CONSISTENTLY.

MIAMI CANNOT GROW LIPSTICK PALMS - HONG KONG CAN.

You people are LAZY. NO ONE has researched this as thorughly as ME RAZWELL. The Tropical Myth Dispeller. I will not type that out again for you.

Last edited by RickSantos; 04-13-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM

150 posts, read 560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Good point. Warm does not mean tropical or even subtropical. The Southwest is as warm or warmer than much of the Gulf Coast but in no way reflects a tropical climate. The exception is the summer monsoon that primarily effects Arizona & New Mexico [also the desert regions of California & southern Nevada]. During the monsoon season humidity can soar & thunderstorms are not uncommon. That's when visiting places like Palm Springs & Phoenix can be deadly [temps over 100F w/ dew points above 70].

What surprises people is that Los Angeles is warmer than Gulf Coast cities [Houston\ New Orleans\ Jacksonville, etc] during winter & isn't much cooler than even Brownsville & Tampa. All areas much further south than California. It has to do with how the Pacific ocean modifies winter air masses & that Canadian cold gets blocked from entering California due to the high mountains. LA rarely observes minimums below 40F [even less than Tampa & Orlando].

But, as you point out, the climate of LA & San Diego is southern "Mediterranean" [more like northern Africa] with a long dry season [often over 7 months without rain] and sunny weather. Summers are delightfully mild compared to the rest of the U.S. right along the immediate coastline though much warmer just a few miles away from the Pacific. And winters are also mild [mainly 60's-low 70's] with occasional rain. Not tropical by any means but warmer than most of the U.S. from November to March.

Exactly right.

That’s why I think folks get so lost in this tropical Vs no tropical climate: They are stuck on temperature as “single absolute bases for this label”. Tropical climates have certain characteristics besides temperature …i.e…high rainfall…warm annual mean temps…higher humidity…etc. in addition to being mostly or totally frost free…that make them tropical.

Of course the same is true of the “subtropics”: Both Los Angeles and New Orleans are subtropical climates …Los Angeles has fewer bouts of colder temps (under 40 F), but has cooler summers…while New Orleans has more severe cold snaps, but paradoxically is the warmer climate - with higher annual mean temperatures and a much hotter summer. Yet, temperature differences hide the truly “big difference” between these both “subtropical climates”: subtropical California is a very dry climate (and bone dry in summer)…while New Orleans is wet climate (with a summer monsoon). LA gets less than 15 inches of rainfall annually…New Orleans gets 50 inches. This is truly the biggest difference between them. You are right…in terms of climate…LA or San Diego (and much of southern California) shares much more climatically with North Africa or Perth than with New Orleans or Brisbane, or Hong Kong.

Also, I saw some of the posters above debating the issue about being in the 23.5 N/S tropical zone. Folks should keep in mind that locations at the edge of any climate zone (tropical, subtropical, temperate, sub polar…etc.) will move a few hundred km north/south of the line over the long term: Once a decade or so, cities near the margin of 23. 5 N/S… like Miami (25 N), Hong Kong (22 N), Rio (24 S)…etc will fall slightly out of the tropical zone. This goes for the line near any climate zone. The normal line for the subtropics (8 months mean temp 50 F or higher) on the East Coast is around Virginia Beach …and on the West Coast around San Francisco. However, in some years (or set of years) the subtropical line reaches Crescent City, Cailifornia (41 north)…and southern Connecticut (41 north). In some years the line contracts south of the mean line.

Locations near climate lines are not set in concrete. What distinguishes where a certain city or location is "classified in"…is based on long term observation (15 , 30, 45 years, etc). This is especially important in locations that straddle a climate boundary.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City