Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM

190 posts, read 465,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
I have NOT misrepresented ANYTHING.

Miami gets into the mid to upper 70's ( at least 70) for the maximum in January usually , even when it gets its characteristic COLD mid to upper 30's.

Hong Kong average maximum in January is only 67. Miami's average maximum in January is 76. This is a huge reason why Miami "averages" warmer, the DAY factors into it.

HOWEVER, HONG KONG IS MORE STABLE IN WINTER THAN MIAMI AS FAR AS LOW NIGHT TEMPS.

AGAIN DO THE R E S E A R C H .

Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

YEAR BY YEAR BY YEAR BY YEAR DECEMBER, JANUARY AND FEBRUARY LOW NIGHT TEMPS.

HONG KONG IS WARMER AT NIGHT IN THE WINTER - MORE FAR MORE CONSISTENTLY.

MIAMI CANNOT GROW LIPSTICK PALMS - HONG KONG CAN.
I think he's right

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM

525 posts, read 760,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
I think he's right

I am

Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Miami gets into the mid to upper 70's ( at least 70) for the maximum in January usually , even when it gets its characteristic COLD mid to upper 30's.

Hong Kong average maximum in January is only 67. Miami's average maximum in January is 76. This is a huge reason why Miami "averages" warmer, the DAY factors into it.

HOWEVER, HONG KONG IS MORE STABLE IN WINTER THAN MIAMI AS FAR AS LOW NIGHT TEMPS.

Hong Kong low Miami low

January 1

January 2

January 3

January 4 61 44

January 5 62 43

Jnauary 6 55 40

January 7 51 44

January 8 50 49

Jnauary 9 54 38

January 10 59 35

January 11 53 36

January 12 49 43

Jnauary 13 49 47

January 14 54 54

Jnauary 15 58 63

Jnauary 16 57 71

January 17 57 68

Jnauary 18 59 63

Jnauary 19 60 57

January 20 69 56

January 21 71 71

HONG KONG, while not exactly warm in winter, IS CONSISTENT AS STILL HAS TROPICAL CALIBER TEMPS

MIAMI GETS TOO COLD FOR DELICATE TROPICALS.

THIS IS TYPICAL EVERY YEAR. HONG KONG WINS FOR THE NIGHT LOW.

You people are LAZY. NO ONE has researched this as thorughly as ME RAZWELL. The Tropical Myth Dispeller. I will not type that out again for you.

This is the type of research that needs to be done.HONG KONG IS A STEADY STEADY 50 or more . Miami got 35

DELICATE TROPICAL VEGETATION CANNOT HANDLE MIAMI

THEY CAN HANDLE HONG KONG

THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT

Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM

If you want to claim to be a tropical area, you MUST be on and between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

Some of the Bahamas are moderated and pretty warm . I am sure they are pleasant , BUT THEY ARE NOT tropical.

Washington D.C. , like I said earlier, even if they were like they are in summer year round - WOULD STILL NTO BE TROPICAL.

THE SUN IN THE TROPICS IS STRONGER - TROPICAL CALIBER UV SUNLIGHT RULES.

THERE IS A CERTAIN STANDARD OF SUNLIGHT STRENGTH TO BE TROPCIAL THAT ALL PLACES IN THE TROPICS HAVE.

all places in the TROPICS have it........

Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Alabama, Houston etc is the TEMPERATE ZONE, NOT subtropical.

Subtropical means a transitinal zone between the tropics and the temperate zone ( Miami to Key West )

You two just do not get it........

Miami in its NATURAL STATE would have predominantly TEMPERATE ZONE VEGETATION.

MUCH of Miami's tropical vegetation was INTIALLY IMPORTED from Hispanola. Yes, Miami can grow Cuban Royals but they are VERY COLD HARDY for a tropical species.

The coconut palms ( a bit less cold hardy) DO NOT do THAT well. Many in Miami are freeze damaged and they DO NOT THRIVE outside of a tropical area. Full height is usually not reached, and even if so they are freeze damaged . Coconut palms do NOT thrive in Miami. They THRIVE IN PUERTO RICO though.

MIAMI CANNOT GROW BREADFRUIT DURIAN MANGOSTEEN LIPSTICK PALMS
UNPROTECTED.

So, NO, Miami ALSO does NOT live up to the true tropics as far as vegetation. Miami also does NOT live up tp the true tropics as far as sunlight strength. Miami also does NOT live up to the true tropics for temps

HONG KONG IS WARMER AT NIGHT IN WINTER DO THE RESEARCH EACH MONTH IN WINTER YEAR BY YEAR.IN THE ARCHIVES

YOU WILL SEE WHY HONG KONG BEATS IT.

YOU TWO DO NOT GET THAT HONG KONG IS A STABLE 50 - 68 DEGREES IN WINTER. THE LOW IS NOT NEARLY AS LOW AS MIAMI'S

The difference is MIami heats up in the DAY alot . THis factors in the average.

HONG KONG CAN GROW SOME DELICATE TROPICALS UNLIKE MIAMI BECAUSE HONG KONG IS FAIRLY CONSISTENT. CONSISTENT 50- DEGREE LOW TEMPS TRUMP THE UPPER THIRTIES OF MIAMI.

MIAMI WILL DIP LOWER THAN HONG KONG IN WINTER AND FOR A FAIR AMOUNT OF TIME- (AT LEAST 15- 20 DAYS A WINTER)..

THIS IS A FACT.

MIAMI HAS COLDER ABSOLUTELY TEMPERATURES IN THE WINTER MONTHS AT NIGHT.

SO LISTEN CLOSELY YOU TWO:

HONG KONG CAN GROW THE LIPSTICK PALM

MIAMI CANNOT

There IS a REASON for this. The REASON is HONG KONG'S ABSOLUTELY LOWS IN AT NIGHT IN WINTER ARE NOT as low as Miami's.
So what you're telling me is, all those Coconut Palms that I saw grow TALL AND HIGH, with Coconuts on them, were just mirages, or figments of My imagination?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Wow, I though this thread died a month ago!

I can see where this is leading so I just make a single comment…perhaps someone has a personal issue with Miami (?)…. but

Climatologists consider a location as “Subtropical” (Cf/Cs) if it has eight (8) or more months with a mean temperature of 50 F (10 C) or higher (New Orleans, Los Angeles, Charleston…etc)

Climatologists consider a location “Tropical” (Aw/Af) if all months have a mean temperature above 64.4 F (18 C) (Miami, Hanoi, Darwin…etc).

These temperature parameters have been the bases for climate classification since 1900 and are undisputed. Obviously Miami and a city like Charleston or Houston are in a different climate zone.
Exactly, saying Miami is SUB-Tropical is putting it in a category with these cities, when in reality it Miami is in a WHOLE nother plant hardiness and climatic Zone.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Because your assertions about Miami being colder at night are an attempt to mis-represent the facts. Whatever way you try to skew it facts are facts. Hong Kong is on average cooler than Miami in winter. Extremes, or unusual lows aside, it's the averages that matter most in climate classifications. Those archives you talk about refer to odd cold spells. Miami's January low average is nowhere near the high 30s. As we've pointed out it's about 60F. You make it out that temps in the 30s are common in Miami when it can get years without temps below 40F.

Others can continue to argue with you but you seem so set in your ways so I won't continue this. Either way, I don't think it's terribly important, people will still flock to Miami for it's warm weather.
Exactly it is EXTREMELY uncommon. They make it seem like coconut palms DIE, EVERY year in Miami. This year was VERY, VERY, VERY, unsually cold. People on this thread should know this. I was in Miami last year in December and it was 80 degrees outside!!! People were walking around in white tees and shorts. 65-70 degrees is the AVERAGE Miami winter temperature. People keep using what happened this year as a barometer to how Miami's winter weather is, and it's COMPLETELY WRONG!!! MANY warm winter places in the US saw there AVG winter temperature go DOWN a couple degrees(I think even Hawaiii.) MANY websites list the Southeastern US as SUB-TROPICAL, I don't know why razwell keeps denying this, when it's FACT!!! I don't know what climatic weather system they use in PR, but it's definitely WRONG!!! The Southeastern US is SUB-Tropical!! Miami is NOT!!!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So what you're telling me is, all those Coconut Palms that I saw grow TALL AND HIGH, with Coconuts on them, were just mirages, or figments of My imagination?

I see coconut palms in Miami every year since 1996. They are generally ALOT smaller than Puerto Rico's DEFINTIELY NOT AS LUSH GREEN, and also FREEZE DAMAGED.

Do YOU even KNOW what FREEZE DAMAGD coconut palm looks like?

Where were YOU in January. Strangely quiet........

ALL THE FLORIDA TROPICAL WANNABES COME OUT AROUND MAY

Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly it is EXTREMELY uncommon. They make it seem like coconut palms DIE, EVERY year in Miami. This year was VERY, VERY, VERY, unsually cold. People on this thread should know this. I was in Miami last year in December and it was 80 degrees outside!!! People were walking around in white tees and shorts. 65-70 degrees is the AVERAGE Miami winter temperature. People keep using what happened this year as a barometer to how Miami's winter weather is, and it's COMPLETELY WRONG!!! MANY warm winter places in the US saw there AVG winter temperature go DOWN a couple degrees(I think even Hawaiii.) MANY websites list the Southeastern US as SUB-TROPICAL, I don't know why razwell keeps denying this, when it's FACT!!! I don't know what climatic weather system they use in PR, but it's definitely WRONG!!! The Southeastern US is SUB-Tropical!! Miami is NOT!!!

I KNOW what I am talking about.

The SUBTROPICAL ZONE IS VERY SMALL It is BETWEEN THE TEMPERATE ZONE AND THE TROPICS example: Miami to Key West

T R A N S I T I O N A L

SOUTH CAROLINA IS NOT subtropical. Maine is NOT the Arctic. They are both the temperate zone.

THey are the notthern and southern outter areas of the TEMPERATE ZONE. ONE IS COD TEMPERATE THE OTHER IS WARMER TEMPERATE

MAKE NO MISTAKE , ALABAMA ,HOUSTON ARE TEMPERATE ZONE PLACES . THE SPECIES OF PALMS ARE TEMPERATE. NOT ALL PALMS ARE TROPICAL SPECIES.

Maine is NOT the Arctic

Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Hong Kong low Miami low

January 1

January 2

January 3

January 4 61 44

January 5 62 43

Jnauary 6 55 40

January 7 51 44

January 8 50 49

Jnauary 9 54 38

January 10 59 35

January 11 53 36

January 12 49 43

Jnauary 13 49 47

January 14 54 54

Jnauary 15 58 63

Jnauary 16 57 71

January 17 57 68

Jnauary 18 59 63

Jnauary 19 60 57

January 20 69 56

January 21 71 71

HONG KONG, while not exactly warm in winter, IS CONSISTENT AS STILL HAS TROPICAL CALIBER TEMPS

MIAMI GETS TOO COLD FOR DELICATE TROPICALS.

THIS IS TYPICAL EVERY YEAR. HONG KONG WINS FOR THE NIGHT LOW.

You people are LAZY. NO ONE has researched this as thorughly as ME RAZWELL. The Tropical Myth Dispeller. I will not type that out again for you.
You only researched it to spin certain things in YOUR favor. Using CERTAIN years to show how cold Miami gets. ON AVERAGE Miami doesn't get below 50 in the dead of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City