Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
2001 murders- BOJ statistics

New York- 714
Chicago---666
L.A.-------588
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Its less this year, by 30 or so homicides.
whoa i coul dof swore their were headlines saying that for 2010 homicides were up, i guess i read the wrong info.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
in Naples, Florida, which has a population of 21,000. 2 people murdered in one day in NYC with a population of 8 million. So which is worse do you think?
A couple of weeks ago the Queens Community District 12 (200k) was rivaling the city of San Diego (1.4 million) as far as homicides go, which do you think is worse? And on top of that most are coming from one neighborhood in the district (South Jamaica, <70k). So according to the numbers game it's safe to say South Jamaica, Queens is about 20 times as dangerous as San Diego. I don't believe in "bragging" (it's actually sad) nor the numbers game because it's way more complex than just math. But you see how easy it is to twist things to make them sound way way 100 times worse than it actually is (not saying South Jamaica = roses & meadows because it's really not, it's actually more on the wild side).

Person 1: _____'s murder rate is 3 times as high as NYC's.

Person 2: People must be dying right and left.

^^^See how crazy that sounds and it's unfair to those cities. The numbers game is pretty meaningless in most cases imo.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:50 PM

And painting NYC as some Paradise is almost just as crazy.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
whoa i coul dof swore their were headlines saying that for 2010 homicides were up, i guess i read the wrong info.
I'm sure you did, the media has been going crazy this year with Chicago violence stories. Of course they're true stories and awful, but I'm not sure why they tend to stick in that there's been a huge upswing in murders/violence this year, or that it's a crazy "wave of violence" as CNN put it.

Murders this year so far are at their lowest point YTD than any other year since they started keeping record back in the early 1960's.

Violent crime is also down over 10% from last year, and last year had the lowest number of incindents since they started keeping track.

I like that it's big news this year because at least it gets people's attention and forces some hands as far as actually doing something to stop the problems. On the other hand though, it certainly creates a paranoia and is misleading to both residents and people looking on from the outside as far as the situation on the ground.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's funny how my cousins in Miami claim Miami is more dangerous then West Palm Beach. West Palm Beach,(which has a WAY smaller population then Miami), also has 3 homicides so far this year.
maybe they are talking about crime as a whole... mugging, drug use, prostitution and such.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
idk the exact number for Miami or Miami dade, but there up, about 10-25 more than last year, especially in Miami, lots of shootings in the north side,, just last night there were 5 shot, 2 died

the bahamas is at 62, if the current rate keeps up it will pass 100 for the first time, which is really sad, as its population is only about 3.4k

Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
A couple of weeks ago the Queens Community District 12 (200k) was rivaling the city of San Diego (1.4 million) as far as homicides go, which do you think is worse? And on top of that most are coming from one neighborhood in the district (South Jamaica, <70k). So according to the numbers game it's safe to say South Jamaica, Queens is about 20 times as dangerous as San Diego. I don't believe in "bragging" (it's actually sad) nor the numbers game because it's way more complex than just math. But you see how easy it is to twist things to make them sound way way 100 times worse than it actually is (not saying South Jamaica = roses & meadows because it's really not, it's actually more on the wild side).

Person 1: _____'s murder rate is 3 times as high as NYC's.

Person 2: People must be dying right and left.

^^^See how crazy that sounds and it's unfair to those cities. The numbers game is pretty meaningless in most cases imo.
I stated those numbers in 2001 in response to someone who thought that Chicago had more murders than New York that year. Plus being a lifetime New Orleans resident, people would look at me as a lamebrain halfwitt numbskull if I made New York seem like a lethally violent place that's out of control because it's not, while the city I live has been and still is.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
I stated those numbers in 2001 in response to someone who thought that Chicago had more murders than New York that year. Plus being a lifetime New Orleans resident, people would look at me as a lamebrain halfwitt numbskull if I made New York seem like a lethally violent place that's out of control because it's not, while the city I live has been and still is.
What numbers? I honestly didn't see your post.

I was speaking in general about the notion that these "murder rates" hold weight. Like is NYC really 3 times as safe as DC? Heck no, are you serious (I'm just using both as examples).

That "rate" stuff doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 AM

17 posts, read 63,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwun804 View Post
Update:

richmond- 26
norfolk- 21
newport news- 15
portsmouth- 11
hampton- 8
petersburg- 5
virginia beach- 4
chesapeake- 3
alexandria- 2

Update:

Richmond - 27
Norfolk - 25
Newport News - 18
Portsmouth - 11
Hampton - 10
Petersburg - 5
Virginia Beach - 5
Chesapeake - 4
Alexandria - 2
Suffolk - 2

the peninsula (mostly hampton and newport news) have been heatin it up with murders these past couple months. its been relatively quiet in other places besides virginia beach where there were recently 4 stabbings in one weekend, inculding a tourist at the beach that gets randomly stabbed in the throat.

Four stabbings reported in Va. Beach over weekend | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City