Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

As of Jan 26th, Chicago is at 17 homicides.

All on the south and west side. And the beat goes on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Atlanta now has 4 that I know of (5 if the one in unincorporated South Fulton counts as in the city).

Old 01-27-2010, 04:06 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Muder rates are overrated.

You have to look at the number of shootings or knifings instead. Anyone who shoots someone and does not kill them is just as bad as if they kill them since the general reason for shooting is to kill. It just means that the criminal is a bad shot...

If shootings are no lower in number than in past years, should we not be just as concerned about violence? Or should we be happier that better medical technology is saving more shooting or knifing victims?

Anybody have police stats on shootings for their cities?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
^ yeah, I remember from back in 2008 when Chicago's murder rate jumped over 10% before falling back down even more than that in 2009, they did a study on the # of shootings.

Just over the summer months from Memorial Day to Labor Day there were roughly 360 shootings in the city, and obviously not all those people died, probably less than half.

If you look, 16 of those shootings happened in the areas of Hyde Park, Bridgeport, the entire northern lakefront of the city, and everything on the north side beyond Fullerton Ave.

That's about half the population of the city in that area and a few others on the southwest side of town that had zero shootings, and those areas are seeing around 4.5% of the shootings in the city. So the other half of the city is having to deal with 95.5% of the shootings. I've been here 9 years now on the north side, and have yet to see a crime scene involving anyone hurt, or personally hear any shootings. Of all my friends, I only have two friends who I know of that were ever victims of crimes. One had his place robbed, the other was hit by a drunk cubs fan on the street a few years ago. Reporting shootings on the south side is so common I don't think it registers with people in the city anymore. On the south side it's just another day of needless violence, and on the north side it's like they're reporting on another world. Get a shooting in Lakeview or Lincoln Square though and it's like the world's ending with people cowering in their homes.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

You have to look at the number of shootings or knifings instead. Anyone who shoots someone and does not kill them is just as bad as if they kill them since the general reason for shooting is to kill. It just means that the criminal is a bad shot...

If shootings are no lower in number than in past years, should we not be just as concerned about violence? Or should we be happier that better medical technology is saving more shooting or knifing victims?

This is a good point. If it weren't for the medical advancements we've had in the past few decades, murder rates would be quite a bit higher. Still below the record years that most cities had from the 70's through the mid 90's (there have been more improvements/changes in cities beside better health care of course), but it would be a bit higher than what most cities are currently experiencing.

As far as SF goes, here are some shooting/gun stats from October 20th 2008 to October 20th 2009:

shooting calls: 343
shots fired calls: 1,920
shots fired calls (detected by city gunshot detectors, which are in just 3 neighborhoods so far. They can differentiate between different gun calibers, car backfires, fireworks, etc): 2,051
"person with gun" calls: 1,938

As far as people actually hit by gunfire, there were 274 shooting victims in 2007, 70 of which were killed, and 184 of which were injured.

When it comes to stabbing victims it seems to usually be just slightly higher than shooting victims (so in the 200-300 range), though less people die from stab wounds than gun shot wounds.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

Typically, there is a strong correlation with the number of homicides and the overall number shooting/stab victims. I spoke to a trauma surgeon at Metro in Cleveland and they said their hospital alone receives around 350-400 shot/stabbed/seriously beaten people a year. That's just one hospital.

I also recall an article about somewhere near 8,000 police reports of shots fired in one year in Cleveland as well. One thing Cleveland has that a lot of other cities don't are world-class hospitals. So I'm sure that helps keep the homicide numbers down.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral...homicides.html

That is a Cleveland metro homicide map, do other cities have this?

Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Orlando/Orange County (population: 1,100,000) has had 7 homicides in 2010 as of 1/27/2010.

Two of them were in-family murders (daughter killed elderly mother, and husband "accidentally" killed wife), three of them were due to the confrontation between people who knew each other, and two of them were random (robberies).

heres a homicide map of the area Orlando-Area Murder Map 2010 - OrlandoSentinel.com

Last year there were 74 murders in Orlando/Orange county, down from 123 in 2008.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
One thing Cleveland has that a lot of other cities don't are world-class hospitals. So I'm sure that helps keep the homicide numbers down.
SF has an excellent level 1 trauma center at SF General Hospital, so I've heard (the only one in the city too). I wonder how many people would die if it were'nt as good, or if the closest level 1 trauma center were somewhere else in the Bay Area instead.

Interesting map too. There's nothing like that for the Bay Area, but here's one for SF alone, with the 200 or so homicides from 2007 and 2008 represented (black markers are double homicides, except for one which is a triple homicide, and blue ones are justified):

for scale, SF is just barely under 7x7 miles.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Inner DC Suburb of Fairfax County, VA: 0 Homicides as of 1/27/2010.

Population: 1,015,302 (2008)

Old 02-01-2010, 02:51 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
There was a massacre at a party attended by College and High School students last night in Ciudad Juarez. So far, 16 people were gunned down and 29 wounded at the party. All of the victims were aged 14-19 years old. Just absolutey senseless even for Juarez.

Juarez is over 200 for the year, but not quite sure on the exact figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City