Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I get what they're saying. The closer you live to the lines, the better off you can sustain without a car. You can do this in any city. Does not mean your city is a car city. But you can rely on public transit to get you to most places you really want to go. Buses are buses. They are great but psychologically, people do not like to deal with them.

Again, you can do this is in any city. Dallas, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Portland, w/e.
Are these the best cities you can live without a car? Not even close. But it can be done only if you live close to a transit line.

Now if this thread was about just simply car-free cities, than the answers are easily NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia. Maybe San Francisco could be added as well. But that's it.
I lived on a light rail line in the Hampden Heights area of Southeast Denver, but my neighborhood was hardly walkable. The light rail was very convenient for commuting to work and school, but not for everyday activities like grocery shopping. I also lived in Capitol Hill, which has no light rail access, but that neighborhood is infinitely more walkable than my Hampden Heights address. Most cities that are building new light rail systems are placing them on existing right-of-ways, which tend to be in undeveloped industrial swaths, rather than routing them through densely populated, walkable areas. The stations also tend to be park-n-rides, so you need a car to ride the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Whatever you say. Five Points and Fairlie-Poplar are probably about the only neighborhoods that could come close to the urbanity of your average Milwaukee neighborhood, to say otherwise would be pretty disingenuous. FYI, new urbanist, town center-type developments aren't the same as real urban neighborhoods.
Geez.

I guess I'm going to have to spell it out for you.

My current Neighborhood, North Buckhead:

My previous neighborhood in South Midtown:

My neighborhood before that in L5P:

My neighborhood before that in West Downtown:

Now that's four different sections of the city, miles apart from each other. All of them are at least very walkable neighborhoods according to Walkscore.com. ALL of them have MARTA subway stations, some even have 2 or 3, that allow easy access between the dozens upon dozens of other very walkable neighborhoods in the city.

How many subway stations does your neighborhood in Milwaukee have? Oh that's right, ZILCH.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:14 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,019 times
oh god, looking at these maps of atl brings me back. Little 5 pts, just forthe record, isnt very urban. It's also isolated from the rest of the city, and Im pretty sure the MARTA doesnt go there. At least it didnt when i lived there.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM

155 posts, read 196,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Now if this thread was about just simply car-free cities, than the answers are easily NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, and Philadelphia. Maybe San Francisco could be added as well. But that's it.
Exactly, these are the only cities that are truly walkable and can be lived car-free.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
I think people just have a different idea of what "livable" is. For most people, being restricted to within walking distance of your home or otherwise being forced to spend hours on public transit would be intolerable. But if you're not like that then you'd consider Atlanta or LA or whatnot to be livable without a car.

Having once lived carfree in a place where people usually had cars (the Virginia suburbs of DC), I can say this... I was really very exceptional. When I took the bus I was basically the only person on there who wasn't either a recent immigrant or looked like he/she lived in the poorest areas of DC. Not to bring race in this but I was also the only Caucasian American-born person, the best I could tell. Actually, that's not quite true. There was one young woman who I'd see on my commute. Creepy guys would approach her on occasion. Eventually I saw her reading magazines about cars and then she disappeared. After about a year of living there, even I got a car, and I had never owned a car in my whole life before. It was just too hellish to wait forever for these buses and have to sit next to recently-released prison inmates. So yes, I would have physically survived if I had continued, but it was miserable and I just never ever saw people on the buses who just chose to live carfree. They were always too poor to own cars.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
oh god, looking at these maps of atl brings me back. Little 5 pts, just forthe record, isnt very urban. It's also isolated from the rest of the city, and Im pretty sure the MARTA doesnt go there. At least it didnt when i lived there.
Yes, L5P has a MARTA station...Inman Park/Reynoldstown is within a very short walk. L5P is actually the business district for Inman Park.

It's not about whether a neighborhood is urban...I thought the discussion was about living car-free?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
I think people just have a different idea of what "livable" is. For most people, being restricted to within walking distance of your home or otherwise being forced to spend hours on public transit would be intolerable. But if you're not like that then you'd consider Atlanta or LA or whatnot to be livable without a car.

Having once lived carfree in a place where people usually had cars (the Virginia suburbs of DC), I can say this... I was really very exceptional. When I took the bus I was basically the only person on there who wasn't either a recent immigrant or looked like he/she lived in the poorest areas of DC. Not to bring race in this but I was also the only Caucasian American-born person, the best I could tell. Actually, that's not quite true. There was one young woman who I'd see on my commute. Creepy guys would approach her on occasion. Eventually I saw her reading magazines about cars and then she disappeared. After about a year of living there, even I got a car, and I had never owned a car in my whole life before. It was just too hellish to wait forever for these buses and have to sit next to recently-released prison inmates. So yes, I would have physically survived if I had continued, but it was miserable and I just never ever saw people on the buses who just chose to live carfree. They were always too poor to own cars.
It's funny how some people think they can know why others use public transit...and they think they can tell the economic status of others just by looking at them - or did people in the D.C. suburbs wear "poor" signs around their necks?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's funny how some people think they can know why others use public transit...and they think they can tell the economic status of others just by looking at them - or did people in the D.C. suburbs wear "poor" signs around their necks?
Well, without exception they spoke either Spanish or had a thick "ghetto" accent. And I don't mean your average black Washingtonian accent. I mean Maury Povich show accent. Their dress and demeanor coincided. Believe me, they were poor.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Well, without exception they spoke either Spanish or had a thick "ghetto" accent. And I don't mean your average black Washingtonian accent. I mean Maury Povich show accent. Their dress and demeanor coincided. Believe me, they were poor.
So now you think you can tell the economic status of people by their clothes...that's funny. You also seem to think that people of certain accents are poor as well. Unbelievable.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
And when was that? The early 1970s?

The Inman Park Train Station is about 1/4 mile away from the square in L5P and has been open since 1979. There is also the #113 bus that covers Euclid Ave and Moreland Ave, with connecting points at Candler Park Station and Arts Center Station with coverage in the King District and Downtown. And the #6 Bus that connects with Inman Park Station and Lindbergh Station.

I'd like to hear how you think L5P is isolated? Immediately north is the Virginia-Higland and Poncey-Highland neighborhoods, directly east is the Candler Park Neighborhood, south is Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown, and Downtown is only 2 miles west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City