Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
So, how does Houston's image compare to other cities of its class??? Is it up to snuff in terms of image and attractiveness to visitors, or is it lacking? I think it is severely deficient in that area.
Don't forget, Al Gore's big fibbing mouth did a lot of damage to Houston too about a decade ago. City leaders had to travel up to D.C. to attempt some damage control after that.
Enron didn't help either.
Then there was the hurricane, in which the outside media made it seem as if Houston was nearly wiped off the map (far from reality, of course.)
Basically, the news and media don't seem to care about Houston unless it's something negative. On top of that, the negative is greatly exaggerated.
Meanwhile, Houston is still attracting new business, visitors, new residents, and most things that matter in real life. Everywhere you look there are cranes building something new, even right now. So, it's doesn't seem to be bothering them that much that it's not a Las Vegas or Orlando, or a poser magnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
First of all, from the northeast, people view Houston as yet another over sized suburb.
Yes, it's just a huge suburb with no core, no history, and nothing original at all. Evident in all of these photos, recent contributions of a member in the Houston forum.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-i-photos.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...re-photos.html

Old 01-13-2010, 10:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Yeah, where do you get that? I'm interested in seeing it.
1. Memphis, TN
2. Birmingham, AL
3. San Antonio, TX
4.Riverside/San Bernardino, CA
5. Detroit, Mi
6. Jacksonville,FL
7. Nashville,TN
8. Oklahoma, City
9. Kansas City
10. San Diego,CA
11. Cincinnati, OH
12. Indianapolis,IN
13. Baltimore,MD (Tie)
14. New Orleans,LA (Tie)
15. Virginia Beach (Tie)
16. Atlanta,GA
17. Milwaukee,WI (Tie)
18. Richmond, VA (Tie)
19. Austin, TX (Tie)
20. Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
To determine which cities were the most obese, we looked at 2006 data on body mass index, or BMI, collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, which conducts phone interviews with residents of metropolitan areas about health issues, including obesity, diabetes and exercise.
America's Most Obese Cities - Forbes.com

Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
1. Memphis, TN
2. Birmingham, AL
3. San Antonio, TX
4.Riverside/San Bernardino, CA
5. Detroit, Mi
6. Jacksonville,FL
7. Nashville,TN
8. Oklahoma, City
9. Kansas City
10. San Diego,CA
11. Cincinnati, OH
12. Indianapolis,IN
13. Baltimore,MD (Tie)
14. New Orleans,LA (Tie)
15. Virginia Beach (Tie)
16. Atlanta,GA
17. Milwaukee,WI (Tie)
18. Richmond, VA (Tie)
19. Austin, TX (Tie)
20. Las Vegas, NV

America's Most Obese Cities - Forbes.com
Woah, didn't expect to see San Diego on there.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Yes, it's just a huge suburb with no core, no history, and nothing original at all. Evident in all of these photos, recent contributions of a member in the Houston forum.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-i-photos.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...re-photos.html
I think calling a Houston a giant suburb is the wrong designation. What I would call Houston is that it is suburban in nature. You can thank the area outside loop 610 for that.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I'm not suggesting or implying anything. I'm simply pointing out history. Plenty of sane people believed it. Hardly a sanity test.

Dallas suffered tremendously after the assassination. Many people believe(d) that the city was a city of hate and that the assassination was somehow the city's fault. That is a fact, whether you choose to believe it or not. Look it up.

And I might add, many of those people from that generation are still alive. So I am indeed suggesting that attitude still exists to this day. To the same extent? Certainly not.

Here's an article that speaks to my point. I'm not defending the mindset in any way. But it is a very real part of Dallas' history and its subsequent reputation.

25 Years After the Death of Kennedy, Dallas Looks at Its Changed Image - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/21/us/25-years-after-the-death-of-kennedy-dallas-looks-at-its-changed-image.html?pagewanted=1 - broken link)
The article is 22 years old.

I have no doubt that Dallas' image was harmed in the years after it happened. However Kennedy's assasination doesnt impact Dallas today other than historically. Dallas isnt the same city that it was then, Dallas isnt even the same city as it was when the article was written. Hell, DFW is almost twice the size it was when that article was written and now the whole metro area is only 50% white. Only 4 other metro areas in the US are less white.

There are alctually alot of people Ive talked to who didnt even know Kennedy was assasinated in Dallas. This is a significant historical event, but it has very little impact on the Dallas of today the same way Robert Kennedy's assasination has little effect on LA today.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think calling a Houston a giant suburb is the wrong designation.
And I agree (as I was being sarcastic in my post... the photo threads show it is not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
It's just a forum. There are people everywhere like that. I knew a lot of people like that from Atlanta in real life, but I went there and thought it was okay. Didn't like those braggers, but I liked the city.

This is not about Atlanta this is about Houston and people are a representation of the cities they live in.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:

I have no doubt that Dallas' image was harmed in the years after it happened. However Kennedy's assasination doesnt impact Dallas today other than historically. Dallas isnt the same city that it was then, Dallas isnt even the same city as it was when the article was written. Hell, DFW is almost twice the size it was when that article was written and now the whole metro area is only 50% white. Only 4 other metro areas in the US are less white.

There are alctually alot of people Ive talked to who didnt even know Kennedy was assasinated in Dallas. This is a significant historical event, but it has very little impact on the Dallas of today the same way Robert Kennedy's assasination has little effect on LA today.

Go back and actually read my post instead of focusing on the date of the article. The article was accurate and had many important facts you summarily dismiss in one fell swoop.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Go back and actually read my post instead of focusing on the date of the article. The article was accurate and had many important facts you summarily dismiss in one fell swoop.
What I dismiss is the the JFK assasination still affects how people see Dallas. It might have at one time in the years following the assasination, but thats the a thing of the past now.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:13 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
What I dismiss is the the JFK assasination still affects how people see Dallas. It might have at one time in the years following the assasination, but thats the a thing of the past now.
You're dismissing the fact that many of those same people are still alive.

I suggest to you, that those folks STILL feel that way. Liken it to your own political bias.

I realize that's difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City