Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
I think your right I dont think anyone doesnt like the cities Its the Texas forumers on city data that they dont like.....
That could be said about anybody anywhere! I can't stand some of the arrogant pricks form CA or New York(or anywhere for that matter), but that doesn't mean I don't like the places.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That could be said about anybody anywhere! I can't stand some of the arrogant pricks form CA or New York(or anywhere for that matter), but that doesn't mean I don't like the places.
This.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
wow is the LA real estate that bad? The massive Sugarland houses don't come cheep so I couldn't image a ghetto bungalow in LA costing that much.
Sugar Land, TX
5bd/3bth/3,337 sq ft
$296,000

Compton, CA
2bd/1bth/1,146 sq ft
$299,900

Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Either way, Texans will still be depicted as arrogant and backwards. There is really no way to change the mind of someone who has been brainwashed to the point of hopelessness.
I've spent way more time in Texas than most Texans have spent out of it. It is what it is.

Quote:
If people have actually been to Texas and took the time to talk to Texans; the pride and Bush BS goes out the window. Those stereotypes are really only played out by the older Texans.
That's a crock. The Texas tude is handed down from generation to generation like gun racks and Chevy Pickups.

Quote:
It's sad we are one of the most progressive states in the country, but yet we are judged and criticized because of Bush

Texas is a progressive State? I missed that memo. Remind me of the last time Texas voted blue in an election. (Here's a hint...you were probably not born yet)

Quote:
Presidents like Lyndon B. Johnson are usually ignored because no one ever likes to speak on the positives and the good that Texas has done. Everything great we've done is consistently shot down.
LOL Nice metaphor. That is certainly part of the problem. We Americans don't like it when our President is assassinated.

Quote:
It's best just to ignore ignorance.
Or maybe do something about changing the tude.

Or not.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
I've spent way more time in Texas than most Texans have spent out of it. It is what it is.

That's a crock. The Texas tude is handed down from generation to generation like gun racks and Chevy Pickups.

Texas is a progressive State? I missed that memo. Remind me of the last time Texas voted blue in an election. (Here's a hint...you were probably not born yet)

LOL Nice metaphor. That is certainly part of the problem. We Americans don't like it when our President is assassinated.

Or maybe do something about changing the tude.

Or not.
Oh wow, what we're not American also?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:18 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Oh wow, what we're not American also?
No you're Texans. Aren't they better?

(You missed the point entirely)

Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
No you're Texans. Aren't they better?

(You missed the point entirely)
What point? Unless you are kidding, I am going to take the part in bold and respond. Okay, um why would I think that?

Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
i concur with bcjohnny's basic premise. to many outsiders, houston does not have the cachet of its peer american cities. even compared to smaller cities such as denver, san diego, seattle, and miami, houston seems to have a less prominent national profile, which is kind of surprising given its size.

now, this is not a slam against houston at all. i think it's a fine city, and it definitely seems like a nice, clean, pleasant place to live and work. its relatively affordable cost of living, business-friendly policies, and racial and ethnic diversity are major pluses in my book. overall, my perception of the city is positive.

that said, i probably know less about houston than any of the other ten largest metropolitan areas in the u.s. nationally, houston seems to have a neutral image with a minority of naysayers who focus on the negative stereotypes. this is probably because the city doesn't do a good job of marketing itself outside of texas, as others have suggested. plus, those of us who do not hail from texas or the south are simply unaware of any iconic landmarks, scenic natural landscapes, or local cultural phenomena that are indisputably associated with the city. it would probably help if the city were to ever serve as the backdrop for a popular tv show or film that heavily showcases the city's attractions and/or has the city's name in the title (a la "dallas") so that the city gains some pop culture cachet. just look at what the films, tv shows, and music of the '90s did for seattle's international profile.

actually, now that i think about it, there is one iconic structure in houston - the astrodome. back in the '60s and '70s, the astrodome was probably the first thing outsiders thought of when they heard the name "houston". remember the "bad news bears" film in which the team plays at the astrodome ("let them play!")? that movie was released in 1977, when the stadium was still considered state-of-the-art and was clearly one of houston's calling cards.

but in recent years, the building has lost much of its prominence. not only does it currently lack any major anchor tenants, it also did not stand the test of time as an architectural or technological marvel and has been replaced by newer stadiums.

while reliant stadium and minute maid park are beautiful, state-of-the-art facilities, they didn't have the impact on the national consciousness that the astrodome did during its heyday. if houston can build an iconic structure or landmark that really becomes emblematic of the city and is able to retain its luster over the long-term, then i think the city's national and international profile will rise significantly. IMO impressive, man-made structures are especially necessary for aspiring world cities that do not have an outstanding natural feature like world-famous beaches, major mountains, oceans/major bays/major lakes, etc. i know houston has the bayou, but for people around the nation and world, it isn't an instantly identifiable feature of the city the way the beaches are for miami, the rockies for denver, lake michigan for chicago, san francisco bay for sf, etc.

another thing to keep in mind is that houston is still in its infancy as a major american city. for most of its history, it's been a mid-sized city; only in recent years has it catapulted up to the 4th largest city proper and top 10 CSA. but things can change dramatically in the next few decades. if houston can improve its infrastructure (especially mass transit), build an iconic structure that screams "HOUSTON", and market itself aggressively, maybe we won't be having this discussion 25 years from now.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
No one said Texans were responsible other than you. But if you're going to suggest that Dallas didn't suffer as result of the Kennedy assassination, then you are blind to history.
Of course they suffered; everyone did. But no sane person would ever put the blame for Kennedy's assassination on Dallas...and I really don't what else you could be implying here.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sugar Land, TX
5bd/3bth/3,337 sq ft
$296,000

Compton, CA
2bd/1bth/1,146 sq ft
$299,900
Wow... In the cityyyy... City of Compton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City