Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM

293 posts, read 900,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
One thing that I've heard about Houston (and someone who has more knowledge perhaps can confirm or deny this) is that it is America's "heaviest" city. Basically it has a high percentage of out of shape people, and more donut shops per 10,000 people than anywhere else in the country.
Like I said, someone from Houston maybe can verify this fun fact or dispel it as a myth.
That's the first time i'v heard that.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Maybe Houston has a marketing or "product placement" issue (among other products/cities). Growing up in NC and subsequently living in GA, I never heard as much about Houston - not much at all really - as I have on this C-D forum. Everything "Texas" we were exposed to or heard about was Dallas, Dallas, Dallas. From sports, to nightlife, to city living, to headline news... it just seemed as if Dallas was THE thing in Texas. Granted, twenty/thirty-somethings don't tend to sit around and talk about oil and medical centers...which seem to be the recurring discussion points when people here discuss Houston's place among peers.

I think the image nationwide is pretty neutral, not because Houston is not worth much more (it seems it is), but perhaps imagewise, Dallas is in the way.
That might be the reason some Houstonians hate Dallas.........lol!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
at the end of the day, i don't think there's anything wrong with houston. it's all about personal preference. you either like it or you don't. some have visited the city and loved it, while others find some sort of fault with it

me personally, i think houston itself is a big messy city with great food and the greatest people lol. i love houstonians (whereas you have other cities like new york where the city is great but the people ehhh not so much)

i think chicago is a very realistic goal for the type of city houston could be like over the next century

Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
One thing that I've heard about Houston (and someone who has more knowledge perhaps can confirm or deny this) is that it is America's "heaviest" city. Basically it has a high percentage of out of shape people, and more donut shops per 10,000 people than anywhere else in the country.
Like I said, someone from Houston maybe can verify this fun fact or dispel it as a myth.
I think that myth came from a list on Men's Health magazine in which had Houston ranked as "America's fattest city" for several years in a row. The criteria for the list was kind of stupid though. I think it was something like the ratio of fitness centers to restaurants.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I knew Houston was fat ,but I didn't know it was that fat! On TLC they showed a woman who weighed half a ton she was from Houston! She couldn't get out of her house! She was on the local news and told people who are mobility obese to get out of there house because there is hope! She had gastric bypass surgery but a few days later she died!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
That's the first time i'v heard that.
You've inspired me to do some research. Here's where I must have stumbled upon that info in the past:

USATODAY.com - Houston again tops fattest city list

And here's a 2009 Men's Fitness article that has Houston as #6. I'm sure the criteria is subjective, though.

2009 Fattest Cities in America - Men's Fitness

Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
That might be the reason some Houstonians hate Dallas.........lol!
It seems now a days for people in their teens in twenties, they're both overshadowed by Austin. For the young kids in Texas, it's Austin, Austin, Austin, Denton is pretty cool, Austin, Austin.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I think that myth came from a list on Men's Health magazine in which had Houston ranked as "America's fattest city" for several years in a row. The criteria for the list was kind of stupid though. I think it was something like the ratio of fitness centers to restaurants.
Yeah, something like that. That's where I got the donut shop ratio comment. I agree with you that the criteria can render the results misleading, especially in a city/metro area the size of Houston.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It seems now a days for people in they're teens in twenties, they're both overshadowed by Austin. Now days for the young kids in Texas it's Austin, Austin, Austin, Denton is pretty cool, Austin, Austin.
Austin isn't all that!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Austin isn't all that!
Yes it is haha! At least for someone in they're 20's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City