Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Texas city is most well known?
Dallas 218 67.70%
Houston 79 24.53%
Austin 9 2.80%
San Antonio 16 4.97%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yep, and everyone else, if they make it past the Vikings. I like Wade Phillips as a coach much better this season sense he's taken over control of the defense.
I was thinking the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Just to clarify, only MANNED space flights by NASA are run in Houston and operations with the Space Station. Unmanned robotic space flights are run by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA.
I'm well aware of JPL, but a lot of people aren't.
Unmanned space missions often don't carry the "intrigue" associated with manned missions. The original topic was what cities are well-known, and the point was made that Houston is HQ for manned space flight, which is the kind that is usually featured in movies and such (thus, the more "well-known" factor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
As the manned space program begins to shut down with the end of the shuttle program to focus on unmanned space exploraton, JPL will be the main NASA campus as it currently leads the unmanned mission control center.
Manned space flight program shutting down? The shuttle will be retired, but the Constellation Program (the initiative to build a successor to the shuttle for missions to the moon and Mars) will be ongoing in Houston...
Dynamic plan for future in space forms
Spacesuits Designed for Return to Moon, Mars

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I think the Cowboys defence is going to shutout the Vikings!
no. they won't. I do hope we win. But Minnesota offense is much more balanced than Philadelphia. They actually run the ball.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,057,745 times
Dallas
Houston-San Antonio tie
Austin

Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I'm well aware of JPL, but a lot of people aren't.
Unmanned space missions often don't carry the "intrigue" associated with manned missions. The original topic was what cities are well-known, and the point was made that Houston is HQ for manned space flight, which is the kind that is usually featured in movies and such (thus, the more "well-known" factor.)
Correct. I was just correcting a statement that said Houston is "Mission Control for ALL space flight" and added the qualifier that Houston is just mission control for "Manned" space flight. Didn't want people assuming Houston is running stuff like Mars Rovers, because they aren't. Unmanned missions are out of Pasadena, CA. Houston is certainly the command of operations of the more well known and "interesting" type of space exploration to pop culture.

Houston will certainly have an interesting future with the Orion and Constellation missions. My point was that initially there will be a lag in manned space programs once the shuttle program retires and until these other programs are ready.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
I think Dallas is the most known, personally it was the first Texas city I've ever heard of.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM

196 posts, read 457,906 times
I said Houston, but Dallas takes a very close 2nd.

Last edited by MikeG2011; 01-14-2010 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Houston is the premier city in Texas. But it seems like Dallas is more well known in the USA, probably due to the Dallas Cowboys. Internationally, Houston has more clout.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Houston is the premier city in Texas. But it seems like Dallas is more well known in the USA, probably due to the Dallas Cowboys. Internationally, Houston has more clout.
Sorry, but this is WAY too debateable to be true. NYC is the premier city of NY. Seattle is the Premier city of Washington. Atlanta is the premier city of Georgia. But Houston and Dallas are way too competitive and close in recognition and clout that there is no definitive premier city of Texas.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Sorry, but this is WAY too debateable to be true. NYC is the premier city of NY. Seattle is the Premier city of Washington. Atlanta is the premier city of Georgia. But Houston and Dallas are way too competitive and close in recognition and clout that there is no definitive premier city of Texas.
This is true. I don't think either one is more important or more recognizable then the other one. If someone has heard of one, they've heard of the other. I would give a slight edge to Houston for the economy and a slight edge to Dallas for name recognition because of the Cowboys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City