Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Texas city is most well known?
Dallas 218 67.70%
Houston 79 24.53%
Austin 9 2.80%
San Antonio 16 4.97%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Tell me something that I don't know. I know all this, but like I said, the average person either doesn't know or doesn't care, believe me.

And Houston was nuked in Independence Day. Houston gets no respect I tell ya!
Knowing that NASA is in Texas requires no research or reading; it's right in your face. Just because you and the few others thought NASA was just in Florida; doesn't mean others believe that. The average joe would think either Texas or Florida.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 01-14-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Knowing that NASA is in Texas requires no research or reading; it's right in your face. Just because you and the few others though NASA was just in Florida; doesn't mean others believe that. The average joe would think either Texas or Florida.

Can you read or do you just select certain things in order to make you look more right? I said when I was a child I thought NASA/Space Shuttle was just in Florida. Of course, when I put away childish things, I learned about Mission Control and Astronauts being trained there.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because I know you're an unabashed Houston homer and there is no use telling you anything from another perspective.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Can you read or do you just select certain things in order to make you look more right? I said when I was a child I thought NASA/Space Shuttle was just in Florida. Of course, when I put away childish things, I knew about Mission Control and the Astronauts being trained there.

We'll just have to agree to disagree because I know you're an unabashed Houston homer and you tend to let that get in the way of having a conversation.
I should be asking you that because I put "thought NASA was....." (past tense).

Btw, call me a homer or whatever, but I say this because it's all over the media and school textbooks. It doesn't take a genius to figure out NASA is in Texas.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How about "There's no basement in the Alamo!"
My bad! That quote from Ms. Jan Hooks should definitely be #4...plus I added a couple.

1. "Who shot J.R.?"
2. "Remember the Alamo!"
3. "Houston, we have a problem."
4. "There's no basement in the Alamo!"
5. "Cowboys win!"
6. "Everything is bigger in Texas."
7. "All My Exes Live in Texas"

Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My bad! That quote from Ms. Jan Hooks should definitely be #4...plus I added a couple.

1. "Who shot J.R.?"
2. "Remember the Alamo!"
5. "Cowboys win!"
8. "Don't mess with Texas"
Our favorite one!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Now see, I didn't even know that.

The main reason why NASA has a center in Houston is because LBJ wanted it there and by golly, he was a Texan and he wanted the Space Center in Texas. It was originally supposed to be in Hampton, VA (outside Norfolk).
NASA also has a launch facility in Huntsville AL...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Our favorite one!
I knew I was forgetting a big one...that one probably needs to move up a few spaces.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Tell me something that I don't know. I know all this, but like I said, the average person either doesn't know or doesn't care, believe me.

And Houston was nuked in Independence Day. Houston gets no respect I tell ya!
If it makes you feel any better, the aliens blew up Atlanta. So apparently they thought it was more important than the Texas cities.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

1. "Who shot J.R.?"
2. "Remember the Alamo!"
5. "Cowboys win!"
8."Texas Has a Whorehouse In It! Lord Have Mercy on My Soul!"

Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I didn't say all I said most. The average young mind always see the launches from the Kennedy Station and thus they will believe that is where it is based. But if you think most people believe so, then I repeat what grindin says. You have more faith in humans than I do.
well your experience is completely different from mine because most people i've met know nasa is based in houston

in fact, i believe that the only people who would think its based in florida are those who aren't paying attention. because i believe mission control is usually always referenced during a launch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City