Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Texas city is most well known?
Dallas 218 67.70%
Houston 79 24.53%
Austin 9 2.80%
San Antonio 16 4.97%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Because most of them just hit up Six Flags, Sea World, Schlitterbahn, and go home. I know we did. It's still tourism.
I know it is still tourism, but they claim to be the capital.

For one they get less visitors than both Houston and DFW.
Two they get less overnight visitors

Three, the visitors spend less money than either Houston or DFW (hotel rooms cost more than Six flag tickets, and overnight visitors are more likely to spend more on food and more likely to pop into a store and buy some nicknack).

How are they the capital again? I know the Riverwalk and the Alamo are very well known visitor sites, but the fact of the figures is that those two sites do not generate as much income or attract as many visitors as other cities.

Also apart from tourists, people underestimate Business travelers. They spend a good chunk of money too:

Top 25 Cities for General
Business Travelers
1. Chicago
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach
3. Washington, DC (metro area)
4. New York
5. Atlanta
6. Houston
7. Boston (metro area)
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
9. Dallas
10. Detroit
11. Denver
12. Phoenix-Mesa
13. St Louis, MO
14. Philadelphia
15. Seattle (metro area)
16. New Orleans
17. Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
18. Nashville, TN
19. Orlando
20. Las Vegas
21. Austin-San Marcos, TX
22. San Diego
23. San Francisco
24. Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
25. San Antonio, TX

I don't know how anyone can say Dallas or San Antonio is more well known when more people come here for business or pleasure. and we also get more international travelers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Three, the visitors spend less money than either Houston or DFW (hotel rooms cost more than Six flag tickets, and overnight visitors are more likely to spend more on food and more likely to pop into a store and buy some nicknack).

How are they the capital again? I know the Riverwalk and the Alamo are very well known visitor sites, but the fact of the figures is that those two sites do not generate as much income or attract as many visitors as other cities.
Because Houston and Dallas are not built on tourism as much as San Antonio. Corpus Christi doesn't get the amount of visitors Houston and Dallas does, but you would expect someone to vacation there over the other two.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Because Houston and Dallas are not built on tourism as much as San Antonio. Corpus Christi doesn't get the amount of visitors Houston and Dallas does, but you would expect someone to vacation there over the other two.
yes, you would expect them to vacation there, but they are not the tourist capital.
Tourist capitals of states apart from being built on tourism, also get more visitors than other cities in the state.

Miami is much larger than Orlando and yet Orlando is the tourist capital of Florida because it gets the most visitors.

The Grand Canyon area is the undisputed tourist area of Arizona.
Las Vegas is for Nevada, NY is for the entire NE

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:

Also apart from tourists, people underestimate Business travelers. They spend a good chunk of money too:

Business Travelers
1. Chicago
4. New York
5. Atlanta
6. Houston
7. Boston (metro area)
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
9. Dallas
10. Detroit
11. Denver
12. Phoenix-Mesa
13. St Louis, MO
14. Philadelphia
15. Seattle (metro area)
16. New Orleans
18. Nashville, TN
19. Orlando
20. Las Vegas
22. San Diego
23. San Francisco
25. San Antonio, TX

I don't know how anyone can say Dallas or San Antonio is more well known when more people come here for business or pleasure. and we also get more international travelers

San Antonio's convention and tourisim is a $11 billion yearly industry. DFW area claims 24 million again San Antonio's is over 26 million. How is that more than San Antonio?
Get over the knick knack crap, they spend money on lodging, shoppping, entertainment, fine dining etc.
San Antonio's hotel prices go up on the weekend moreso than Dallas and Houston's. When did I every say San Antonio gets more business travelers than Houston or Dallas? What else you going to pull out of your purse? Just recently Houston was added to Travel and Leisures favorite destinations. San Antonio, Dallas-Ft Worth and Austin have been listed since the start, about 10 years.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Can you add a link to this list of business travelers?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
yes, you would expect them to vacation there, but they are not the tourist capital.
Tourist capitals of states apart from being built on tourism, also get more visitors than other cities in the state.

Miami is much larger than Orlando and yet Orlando is the tourist capital of Florida because it gets the most visitors.

The Grand Canyon area is the undisputed tourist area of Arizona.
Las Vegas is for Nevada, NY is for the entire NE
Visitors are not just tourists. I would expect most people who visit San Antonio to be tourists, but most people who visit Houston and Dallas might be for business.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Visitors are not just tourists. I would expect most people who visit San Antonio to be tourists, but most people who visit Houston and Dallas might be for business.
Oh I know that, that is why I separated them. The website that sweethomeSA posted separated leisure and business travelers too.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's convention and tourisim is a $11 billion yearly industry. DFW area claims 24 million again San Antonio's is over 26 million. How is that more than San Antonio?
Get over the knick knack crap, they spend money on lodging, shoppping, entertainment, fine dining etc.
San Antonio's hotel prices go up on the weekend moreso than Dallas and Houston's.
lol, how are you still claiming 26 Million when the link you gave says otherwise?

And SA hotel prices go up more than Houston and DFW on weekends because we get visitors all week not just for a night or two

You say they spend on lodging, shopping etc, but they all spend more in Houston than in SA.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Business Travelers
1. Chicago
4. New York
5. Atlanta
6. Houston
7. Boston (metro area)
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
9. Dallas
10. Detroit
11. Denver
12. Phoenix-Mesa
13. St Louis, MO
14. Philadelphia
15. Seattle (metro area)
16. New Orleans
18. Nashville, TN
19. Orlando
20. Las Vegas
22. San Diego
23. San Francisco
25. San Antonio, TX

link?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I think you guys are both missing the mark.

How many visitors a city gets is not an indication of which city has the highest name recognition.

Lets be honest with ourselves, there is no where in Texas that is a major tourist destination worldwide and even Houston international business traffic pales in comparison with New York, LA, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, or Miami. Most people from other countries and even parts of the states will never set foot in Texas (unless maybe its DFW or IAH airports).

People abroad to to recognize city names they can identify with an image (like something they see on TV, read about in a magazine, or hear in a song, for example). It is because of this that I believe Dallas has the best name recognition of the cities in Texas. This also comes from my travels overseas that I have done. I often travel with a colleague from Houston and he agrees with me on this.

Again I am talking only of name recognition, not importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City