Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Texas city is most well known?
Dallas 218 67.70%
Houston 79 24.53%
Austin 9 2.80%
San Antonio 16 4.97%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think you guys are both missing the mark.

How many visitors a city gets is not an indication of which city has the highest name recognition.

Lets be honest with ourselves, there is no where in Texas that is a major tourist destination worldwide and even Houston international business traffic pales in comparison with New York, LA, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, or Miami.

People abroad to to recognize city names they can identify with an image (like something they see on TV, read about in a magazine, or hear in a song, for example). It is because of this that I believe Dallas has the best name recognition of the cities in Texas. This also comes from my travels overseas that I have done. I often travel with a colleague from Houston and he agrees with me on this.

Again I am talking only of name recognition, not importance.
I have heard your travel stories. No one has seen that washed up TV show in 25 years The world's eyes were on Houston in 2003 when that space shuttle crashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have heard your travel stories. No one has seen that washed up TV show in 25 years The world's eyes were on Houston in 2003 when that space shuttle crashed.
No argument that it is a washed up show. I thought it sucked.

However, for whatever reason, Dallas is the city that pops to mind when people think of Texas abroad. I dont know exactly what that is the case, but it sure seems to be. The exceptions are:

1) China, where Houston is indeed the most popular. This is because of Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets. Every sports store I went to sold Rockets jerseys.
2) Saudi, Bahrain, UAE, where Houston is more popular.

Every other place I have been Dallas is the name that pops into mind when Texas is mentioned. I was in Seoul 3 weeks ago with my colleague from Houston and the greeter at the hotel thought Houston was a neighborhood in Dallas. Its not so much that people dont know the name Houston, but Dallas is the name people associate with Texas abroad for whatever reason.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No argument that it is a washed up show. I thought it sucked.

However, for whatever reason, Dallas is the city that pops to mind when people think of Texas abroad. I dont know exactly what that is the case, but it sure seems to be. The exceptions are:

1) China, where Houston is indeed the most popular. This is because of Yao Ming and the Houston Rockets. Every sports store I went to sold Rockets jerseys.
2) Saudi, Bahrain, UAE, where Houston is more popular.

Every other place I have been Dallas is the name that pops into mind when Texas is mentioned. I was in Seoul 3 weeks ago with my colleague from Houston and the greeter at the hotel thought Houston was a neighborhood in Dallas. Its not so much that people dont know the name Houston, but Dallas is the name people associate with Texas abroad for whatever reason.
It may be the city you think of when you hear Texas but that does not mean it is more well known.

Before I moved to the US I had heard of Houston but I didn't know it was in Texas. I thought it was somewhere closer to Florida.

So being associated with Texas doesn't mean crap when it comes to which is more well known.

Since I have been back I have heard Houston mentioned everyday on CNN and Fox News. I have not heard Dallas mentioned once. I have seen 3 UH professors and one from Rice commentating on things on CNN just this week alone. Nothing from Dallas. Dallas may be important in Texas, but doesn't have much of an international draw. Regional influence is more of its thing

Why on earth would Dallas ever make the news?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
It may be the city you think of when you hear Texas but that does not mean it is more well known.

Before I moved to the US I had heard of Houston but I didn't know it was in Texas. I thought it was somewhere closer to Florida.

So being associated with Texas doesn't mean crap when it comes to which is more well known.

Since I have been back I have heard Houston mentioned everyday on CNN and Fox News. I have not heard Dallas mentioned once. I have seen 3 UH professors and one from Rice commentating on things on CNN just this week alone. Nothing from Dallas. Dallas may be important in Texas, but doesn't have much of an international draw. Regional influence is more of its thing

Why on earth would Dallas ever make the news?
Why does Houston or any city ever make the news?

Your over compensating. I have never heard Dallas or Houston mentioned more than the other on the news and I watch CNN every night before I go to bed. Neither seem to be mentioned as much as Miami or Atlanta.

Economically, I agree. Houston's economy is more international than Dallas'. That doesnt make the name more popular. Go to an elementary school in Japan. They wont know that Houston has one of the biggest ports in the world, but they know who the Dallas Cowboys are (I can say that with confidence because I worked at one). If they know anything about Houston, its NASA.

Even in China where Houston is more well known, it has nothing to do with its economy, port, or anything else that people think is important. Its because Yao Ming plays for the Rockets.

Again, youre confusing importance with name popularity. They are not the same. In this case they are much different. Houston is a bigger player in the world economy, but Dallas has more name recognition abroad.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM

I am not saying that it is as well known as Miami or Atl, but it sure in hell isn't lesser known than Dallas.

And Houston has been on CNN since I moved back here for a number of reasons:

1. The NASA funding talks
2. Gulf Coast Oil spill (that accounted for most of the consultants from the Universities).
3. The economy
4. Gas Prices
5. The Housing Market
6. About an hour ago, they read that darned list of most stressed cities

and popularity and name recognition goes hand in hand. Dallas is just not as well known as some from Dallas would lead CDers to believe. It is very well known, but not as much as they make it seem here, and certainly not more than Houston

Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
I am not saying that it is as well known as Miami or Atl, but it sure in hell isn't lesser known than Dallas.

And Houston has been on CNN since I moved back here for a number of reasons:

1. The NASA funding talks
2. Gulf Coast Oil spill (that accounted for most of the consultants from the Universities).
3. The economy
4. Gas Prices
5. The Housing Market
6. About an hour ago, they read that darned list of most stressed cities

and popularity and name recognition goes hand in hand. Dallas is just not as well known as some from Dallas would lead CDers to believe. It is very well known, but not as much as they make it seem here, and certainly not more than Houston
Maybe in your mind but general speaking Dallas name goes a lot farther than Houston name.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Were going to have to agree to disagree. Look at the poll results. Most of the people who voted don't really have a dog in this fight. Even a lot of the Houston posters said they thought Dallas (in name) was more popular than Houston.

I think Dallas is more well known based on my experiences. You think Houston is. Were going to have to leave it at that.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Were going to have to agree to disagree. Look at the poll results. Most of the people who voted don't really have a dog in this fight. Even a lot of the Houston posters said they thought Dallas (in name) was more popular than Houston.

I think Dallas is more well known based on my experiences. You think Houston is. Were going to have to leave it at that.
with all the ahte against Houston on this site I was surprised that Houston got so many votes. A more scientific result would be the link that sweethomesa posted a few weeks ago which asked people to name the top 25 cities in Texas. Both Houston and Dallas got close to 100% ie almost universal name recognition for both. It ludicrous to say someone would know about Dallas and not about Houston. simply silly

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Maybe in your mind but general speaking Dallas name goes a lot farther than Houston name.
ha further in your dreams, but not in reality

Old 08-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
with all the ahte against Houston on this site I was surprised that Houston got so many votes. A more scientific result would be the link that sweethomesa posted a few weeks ago which asked people to name the top 25 cities in Texas. Both Houston and Dallas got close to 100% ie almost universal name recognition for both. It ludicrous to say someone would know about Dallas and not about Houston. simply silly
No one is saying that Dallas blows Houston out of the water, but it does have a slight edge.

On top of which Dallas receives as much hate as Houston does on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City