Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
South Beach is big...South of Fifth is still very desirable (and pricey) and quieter. Then again, living in certain parts of SoBe would be equivalent to living in The French Quarter.

When I first moved here I had to decide between SoBe and Brickell. I chose Brickell because it seemed to have more day to day professionals on the street and more year round residents with far less trashy and noisy tourists.

Choose wisely.
Apparently you chose wisely, as the article suggests that wealthy clients are eschewing SoBe for areas like Brickell and Coconut Grove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 06:23 PM

242 posts, read 174,004 times
Miami easy !!!

Old 06-28-2019, 06:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
If I had to choose it'd be Miami. Would much rather live in Brickell over anywhere in NO.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Miami

Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 PM

754 posts, read 569,241 times
Having visited both, I'm going to say Miami. Both were a good visit, but I like Miami's metro area much more & I think it has more to offer overall.

Plus I'd rather be in Florida than Louisiana

Old 06-29-2019, 10:32 AM

77 posts, read 62,626 times
Miami. New Orleans is awesome, but Miami has a better climate and access to water. It's closer to the Caribbean too.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Miami. I like New Orleans' history, architecture, and food. But that's where it stops for me. The partying culture doesn't appeal to me at all, huge flooding issues, grimy/gritty feel, and the only city that I've gone to more than once that I didn't feel safe much of the time. Those negatives are huge for me and override Miami's higher cost of living. Miami's metro is much larger, has more to do, and has very good beaches. Miami hands-down for me.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Miami. New Orleans is a great place for nightlife and partying, but wouldn't be among my preferable places to live.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:51 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Definitely New Orleans. Its much more friendly and laid back than Miami, though its not as friendly compared to the rest of Louisiana especially the smaller towns.

Miami is fun to visit but culturally its too foreign for me. Miami isn't really an American city, its a Latin American city located in the US. The fact that English is not the dominant language and one won't be accepted in Miami or even able to find a job unless you're fluent in Spanish makes that city a big turn off for me.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:30 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Miami is a majority minority city but who says you must speak Spanish to get a job or be accepted in Miami?

Plenty of English spoken here. There are SOME jobs in which companies are looking for bilingual or Spanish and SOME areas (such as Hialeah) where Spanish is predominant, but that is a broad generalization and incorrect. Nice(r) neighborhoods of Miami with residents with some form of higher education—including people not born in the US—speak English. If one’s career aspiration is to be a food handler, car washer, or baggage handler, then—sure—brush up on your Spanish. If you are white collar and do not believe me check out LinkedIn job postings. I also have had no problem meeting and becoming friends with people from all backgrounds as an open minded white person born in the USA.

It is OK not to like Miami for a number of reasons, but thinking you will need to rely on Google Translate and be an outcast for speaking English is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Definitely New Orleans. Its much more friendly and laid back than Miami, though its not as friendly compared to the rest of Louisiana especially the smaller towns.

Miami is fun to visit but culturally its too foreign for me. Miami isn't really an America city, its a Latin American city located in the US. The fact that English is not the dominant language and one won't be accepted in Miami or even able to find a job unless you're fluent in Spanish makes that city a big turn off for me.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-02-2019 at 04:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City