Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best skyline?
Seattle 126 49.61%
Portland 1 0.39%
San Francisco 77 30.31%
Los Angeles 41 16.14%
San Diego 9 3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

253 posts, read 967,629 times

Advertisements

Really, AcroJimmy2? Seattle doesn't hold a candle to SF's downtown? The poll would suggest otherwise...did you mean to say SF can't hold a candle to Seattle's downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
There is no false assumption there. SFs downtown is far bigger than Seattle's.

SFs downtown: Financial District, Union Square, SOMA, Tenderloin, Nob Hill, Chinatown, North Beach, Polk Street are all part of 'downtown'.

Seattle's downtown: Commercial core, Waterfront, Pioneer Square, Belltown, (lower Queen Anne is a stretch).

San Francisco's DT is much bigger, much denser, much more vibrant, urban, gritty.

Seattle's DT is more modern and cleaner than SFs.

Not to belittle Seattle's downtown, its excellent for a newer American City and a city its size, but it really doesn't hold a candle to SFs downtown.

Also, as Rah just showed, SFs downtown has nearly twice as many taller buildings than Seattle, so it is without a doubter bigger. As for which is better, it's subjective, of course.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
Really, AcroJimmy2? Seattle doesn't hold a candle to SF's downtown? The poll would suggest otherwise...did you mean to say SF can't hold a candle to Seattle's downtown?
Good grief!?! That's his opinion, and mine as well. So why not just let it be. Here's the actual Best West Coast Downtown thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-downtown.html

Here's the actual SF vs. Seattle skyline head to head poll: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-seattle.html

IMO
Downtown: edge SF
Density: edge SF
Size: edge SF
Color: edge Seattle
Natural setting (within city limits): edge SF
Natural setting (outside city limits): edge Seattle
Scale: edge Seattle
Postcard picture angles: edge SF
Recognizable structures: edge SF
Modern architecture: edge Seattle
Better aerial view: edge SF

Overall: It's pretty close, but edge SF, unless you really like the things that Seattle has an edge in.

PS: please let this topic RIP.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 03-02-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_206 View Post
You are tripping, SF's downtown is far superior to Seattle's. This thread is about skylines and not the actual downtown's. SF has a much more vibrant and dense DT than Seattle, though Seattle's is nice. I think most people on this forum would agree that when it comes to DT's in the u.s NY, Chicago, and SF are the best with of course Boston, DC, and Philly being up there as well.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I thought this was about skylines. Since that's the case it's Seattle's skyline all the way.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:24 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
No brainer. Seattle.

I like Seattle over sf for the same reason I prefer Chicago to NY.

It is not about the size, its about the scope. Seattle simply offers a more compelling skyline than sf's which is dense, but very modest/lack-luster (like nyc).

Old 03-27-2010, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 687,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Good grief!?! That's his opinion, and mine as well. So why not just let it be. Here's the actual Best West Coast Downtown thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-downtown.html

Here's the actual SF vs. Seattle skyline head to head poll: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-seattle.html

IMO
Downtown: edge SF
Density: edge SF
Size: edge SF
Color: edge Seattle
Natural setting (within city limits): edge SF
Natural setting (outside city limits): edge Seattle
Scale: edge Seattle
Postcard picture angles: edge SF
Recognizable structures: edge SF
Modern architecture: edge Seattle
Better aerial view: edge SF

Overall: It's pretty close, but edge SF, unless you really like the things that Seattle has an edge in.

PS: please let this topic RIP.
the link u sent doesnt have to deal with skylines so dont try to use it to make it seem like SF akyline is better.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Perhaps everything that needs to be said about this topic HAS been said. Just a thought.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Seattle wins, handsdown. It has the prettiest skyline and greatest variety of architectural concepts in it's skyline and instantly recognizable.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...rf/Seattle.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...tt/seattle.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...er/Skyline.jpg

-----------------------------------

Image removed by Moderator - contains a copyright watermark ( © ). Please read our photo posting guidelines for posting photos: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

-----------------------------------

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,203 times
I voted Seattle but SF's skyline at street level and in person is more cooler looking and more dense than Seattle's downtown. However from a photo stand point Seattle wins easily due to Mt. Rainier and if you get the right angle you can capture the Seattle skyline with the Olympic mountains which are on the other side of the Puget sound.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
In terms of over all height, LA. In terms of backdrop scenery, SF.

Seattle has a little of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City