Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Monica 35 63.64%
Miami Beach 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
Miami Beach wins in nightlife. SM wins in every other category IMO. South Florida (hell, all of Florida) is just tacky. Florida has lots of places that are great for vacation, but you couldn't pay me to live anywhere in that State.
Most of South Florida's architecture is pretty similar to SoCal architecture. When you say Florida is tacky(and it kinda is) it isn't much different from SoCal. Spanish-style roofs and stucco? Check!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Most of South Florida's architecture is pretty similar to SoCal architecture. When you say Florida is tacky(and it kinda is) it isn't much different from SoCal. Spanish-style roofs and stucco? Check!!

To the untrained eye perhaps. Socal has more Spanish Colonial influence, and outside of Addison Mizner had a bigger renaissance in the 20s & 30s. So for me there are more historic spanish structures in Socal. Orange County is and has been the epicenter of residential architecture in the US.
I love Miami too.....

Old 11-24-2011, 08:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
To the untrained eye perhaps. Socal has more Spanish Colonial influence, and outside of Addison Mizner had a bigger renaissance in the 20s & 30s. So for me there are more historic spanish structures in Socal. Orange County is and has been the epicenter of residential architecture in the US.
I love Miami too.....
That's fair. Mizner Park in Boca was named after Addison Mizner. And alot of the older SoFla hoods have the similar 20's and 30's Spanish-renaissance architecture as SoCal. I will say, SoCal by it's self(not even including NorCal) is more architecturally diverse than Florida. But they are similar:

west palm beach - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

miami - Google Maps

Alot of these types(especially in Little Havana): miami - Google Maps

Old 11-26-2011, 02:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyRocks View Post
Miami Beach by far. It's not dead like Santa Monica is at night.

Dont think either are Dead. Both are pretty cool in their own right

Def like Miami better for the beach overall but Santa Monica feels far more liveable to me personally. Fun and some real world amentities. Miami Beach feels more like a true beach vacation while Santa Monica is a cool part of LA (LA overall offers more than does Miami IMHO)

Though there is nothing quite like the Fountainbleau in Santa Monica

The pool scenes are little less resortish in SM. Was just there this week and had a great time as usual and man I love the farmers market there.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Monica, CA vs. Miami Beach, Fla-img00563-20111121-1829.jpg  

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

182 posts, read 301,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I work in Santa Monica and though its nice I would definately live in Miami Beach. Love Miami Beach's art deco over Santa Monica's 70's and 80's look along with its hideous giant parking garages all over downtown. Plus its beaches are much nicer imo. I have some pics of Santa Monica.
There are plans to replace one of those big parking garages on 4th Street with new AMC movie theatres, but apparently the city is just going to build a new parking garage on 5th street to replace it. So there'll still be just as many hideous giant parking garages in downtown Santa Monica.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
I will say that Santa Monica's residential areas particularly north of Wilshire are very nice. Beautiful homes, quiet streets with lots of vegetation and mature trees.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I love Miami too.....
Orange County, CA the center of residential architecture in the USA?

I couldn't disagree more. Cookie cutter tract homes, yes.

Los Angeles County has been much more of an innovator in residential architecture than OC.

One example is the "Case Study Houses" which were mostly built in the late 1940's.
Case Study Houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles has many homes designed by the likes of Neutra, Soriano, Koeing, and Saarinen. I can only think of one well known Neutra house in all of Orange County (in Newport Beach).

Old 11-29-2011, 03:40 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,284 times
Santa Monica in a landslide...

Miami Beach does nothing for me

Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Only been to Santa Monica and liked it. I'm sure Miami Beach beats it for nightlife, but Santa Monica is pretty chilled and it's close to Venice.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:28 PM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
I think both are great and have their interesting qualities.

However I think Miami Beach looks like a jungle in it's residential neighborhoods, way too many trees and lack of landscaping.

Santa Monica I think is very well landscaped their palm trees are much better taken care of, and and seems more homely.

Miami Beach does seem great too, but the humidity, and lack of scenari, and it doesn't seem as manicured as Santa Monica.

If all of Miami beach looked like Bal Harbour / Aventura /Golden Beach i would love that! But it's only a drive away anyways.

Both are great, Miami beach has more nightlife for sure, Santa Monica is more sophisticated and seems to have a better quality of life for grown adults.

You can never get bored in either, but to live and raise a family and retire I would think Santa Monica. If you are young and wild and like to party MIA Beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City