Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Monica 35 63.64%
Miami Beach 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,685 times

Advertisements

Noland's vid forces a question... why not live on a nice Boat in a Marina? Like in Marina del Rey, or one of the many Biscayne Bay Marinas or Haulover Marina? I recall Don Johnson's character living on a large sailboat Miami Vice days..... Seems like an adventure, low over head, and with the internet you got Direct TV and access to the world inside a cozy sailboat?

Sounds like fun....?

Why not....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM

150 posts, read 560,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
For the record, I think your critique of Santa Monica (in bold) is very legitimate. Ok, the Seattle comment is going a bit far....but the FOG and COLD WATER are REAL downsides that can't be ignored.

When comparing SoFla to SoCalif., Californians will often harp on Miami for the humidity without copping to the downsides to the fog, cold water, and overall colder beach environment. I am one SoCalif. person that admits it.

Despite what the images from the Chamber of Commerce and the Beach Boys songs say.....cold water and fog at the beach are never fun.
Well, I’m another who will too. As someone who has lived on/off again on the California coast…I agree with you there.

The beach environment, while beautiful for the most part in California – can be a bit cool/cold often. I think most folks of the West Coast seem to try to tune out the better beach/coastal environment of the East Coast. Having spent three full years on the East Coast…a lot of what I had thought about the climate/weather was wrong. The summers while humid, are not that bad at all on the coast. The higher the ambient summer temperatures on the East Coast beaches… makes the humidity burn off much quicker. In fact, a sunny, semi-humid 85 F day on an Atlantic beach – seems to feel drier than a overcast/foggy 66 F cool day in Santa Monica. Truth be told …it was only during the mid-day hours (2:30 – 5:00 PM) in deep summer (June – September) that I even considered a bit hot and humid in Florida (Again, I love tropical climates, so I loved every minute of it).

One other note, since you seem to have some of the same interests as I do…if you are really a fan of warm ocean waters, warm temperatures, and blue skies you would like the Bahamas. I have been to Jamaica, Rio, Cabo, Hawaii, Barbados, the US Virgin Islands, and Aruba. However, the Atlantic Ocean around the Exumas in the southern Bahamas is the most amazing combination of water/sand/sky that I have ever seen in my life. The sand is like a fine powder while the water is crystal clear. Add in the bright yellows, blues, and reds of the fish in the coral… and it an amazing place! Snorkeling/scuba are big in the Bahamas; people from all over the East Coast seem to converge in the Bahamas to scuba/snorkel in winter. In the cold season, boaters come down from as far as Newport, Rhode Island and dock for a month or two in the Bahamas. The Bahamas are so close to Florida. Miami is the biggest point of origin for flights to the Caribbean, so flights are very cheap. You can now even take a high speed ferry from Miami to the Bahamas in two hours (breakfast in Ft. Lauderdale – lunch in the Bahamas –lol). Next time I’m in Florida/Washington DC I will definitely go back.

The Exumas really give one the feeling of a castaway tropical life where the sun and the sea are in control. These pictures don’t do justice to the ocean/sand (they almost seem like they merge)…but anyway here are some;

TW.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
R66

Trade Wind -
Good stuff. Thanks for adding images. About your map shown, down in the bottom area near Georgetown? To the left it says "Great Exuma"? Of all the Bahama Islands, Exuma is best for white, clear skies, torqouise water?

Fyi: One big plus about Miami it's close proximity the Caribbean, a short boat ride/jet flight to a favorite worldwide destination.

Off SoCal, or LA, all you got is Catalina Island. No comparison to the options off Miami Beach/SoFL. One Cuba will open it;s doors to the world and when that day comes Miami will really take off. Can you imagine Miami Beach to Havana daily Ferry rides and flights every hour? I know a retired will off Espanolo man in Malaga, Spain, he flys to Cancun and other Carribean areas yearly. Malaga-Madrid-Miami-Cancun a long flight. Malag-Miami alone is 12 hours including layovers. I asked him if Maldive Islands were closer to Spain and he said "No".

Trade Wind: Any cheap Hotels recommeded in Exumas? They have Taxis. A/C, decent Hotels? Expensive? If I want to check it out for 30 days? -Thanks

Last edited by R66; 02-28-2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
R66

Tonight, I randomly looked in Craigs List (LA's South Bay and Miami Beach). I found the following info. I hope this gives us a starting point. What I did notice upon looking is Miami Beach had way more Condos for sale, better deals, wider selection, etc.

Miami Beach Condos...
*** BEST SALE AT THE BEACH IN BAL HARBOUR *** (http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/reb/1621603834.html - broken link)

**FOUNTAINEBLEAU III**GORGEOUS STUDIO xi (http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/reb/1621762109.html - broken link)

----

And Beach side in Los Angeles....
Super Low Price! A Short Sale Bargain!View Condo! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1622086406.html - broken link)

Beautiful Remodeled Unit! Priced to Sell! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1622074393.html - broken link)

Note To Admins/Mods: I have no relations whatsoever with Links posted or their representatives. If my post is illegal, please accept my full apologies. Thank you.

Last edited by R66; 02-28-2010 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 08:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Tonight, I randomly looked in Craigs List (LA's South Bay and Miami Beach). I found the following info. I hope this gives us a starting point. What I did notice upon looking is Miami Beach had way more Condos for sale, better deals, wider selection, etc.

Miami Beach Condos...
*** BEST SALE AT THE BEACH IN BAL HARBOUR *** (http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/reb/1621603834.html - broken link)

**FOUNTAINEBLEAU III**GORGEOUS STUDIO xi (http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/reb/1621762109.html - broken link)

----

Super Low Price! A Short Sale Bargain!View Condo! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1622086406.html - broken link)

Beautiful Remodeled Unit! Priced to Sell! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/reb/1622074393.html - broken link)

A few years ago they couldn't build enough high rise condo\ apartments in Miami. Once the housing crisis is over I imagine more construction will start again.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A few years ago they couldn't build enough high rise condo\apartments in Miami. Once the housing crisis is over I imagine more construction will start again.
California Sur -

Fair comment and 100% agreed... However what is your opinion on listed Condos for sale in both locales be discussed in this thread?

Comments? Opinions?

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
California Sur -

Fair comment and 100% agreed... However what is your opinion on listed Condos for sale in both locales be discussed in this thread?

Comments? Opinions?
I really don't know much about real estate prices but understand that costs have gone down until people feel comfortable spending that much money [or even get a bank loan].

Old 03-01-2010, 01:35 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:

Miami Beach Condos...

----

Note To Admins/Mods: I have no relations whatsoever with Links posted or their representatives. If my post is illegal, please accept my full apologies. Thank you.

I am actually surprised the pricing is as close between both locales. Of course, I can't comment on the quality of the SPECIFIC Marina Del Rey buildings in the SoCali. listings. Definitely look lower end in the quality spectrum.

No question there is more supply of ocean front condos in Miami.....zoning on the coast in SoCalif. is VERY RESTRICTIVE. In addition to the local city zoning laws, The California Coastal Commission is an extra layer of burreacracy that has great power to review and reject all major coastal developments.

There are ONLY A FEW places where NEW oceanfront high rises are allowed: Marina Del Rey and Long Beach in LA County are pretty much it.

Santa Monica has some older high-rises from the 1960's but in 2007, the Macerich Company proposed a new 21-story residential high-rise in Santa Monica near the beach and they got SHOT DOWN by the community and the elected officials. The city told the developers no way....and in the end will probably only be able to build up to 6 stories high. They don't call it the People's Republic of Santa Monica for nothing. Very hard to get anything built there.

That said, there is somethign to be said for preserving the beach front with low-rise buildings so views can be had from all around.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Well, I’m another who will too. As someone who has lived on/off again on the California coast…I agree with you there.

The beach environment, while beautiful for the most part in California – can be a bit cool/cold often. I think most folks of the West Coast seem to try to tune out the better beach/coastal environment of the East Coast. Having spent three full years on the East Coast…a lot of what I had thought about the climate/weather was wrong. The summers while humid, are not that bad at all on the coast. The higher the ambient summer temperatures on the East Coast beaches… makes the humidity burn off much quicker. In fact, a sunny, semi-humid 85 F day on an Atlantic beach – seems to feel drier than a overcast/foggy 66 F cool day in Santa Monica. Truth be told …it was only during the mid-day hours (2:30 – 5:00 PM) in deep summer (June – September) that I even considered a bit hot and humid in Florida (Again, I love tropical climates, so I loved every minute of it).

One other note, since you seem to have some of the same interests as I do…if you are really a fan of warm ocean waters, warm temperatures, and blue skies you would like the Bahamas. I have been to Jamaica, Rio, Cabo, Hawaii, Barbados, the US Virgin Islands, and Aruba. However, the Atlantic Ocean around the Exumas in the southern Bahamas is the most amazing combination of water/sand/sky that I have ever seen in my life. The sand is like a fine powder while the water is crystal clear. Add in the bright yellows, blues, and reds of the fish in the coral… and it an amazing place!

TW.
TW: Thanks for the amazing pics of the Bahamas...yeah, that is AMAZING WATER and SAND!!! Almost makes HAWAII look plain!!!

Agree with your bolded comments above. The SoCalif beach scene is too cold, too often which is a shame.

That said, the east coast humidity DOES get to me. Ironically, it never seemed to bother me much in Miami. Though I have MOSTLY been there as a toursit so I was in shorts on the water (and as you say the breeze really makes it more tolerable).

But having lived for a few years in NYC and Wash, DC, I REALLY could NOT stand those humid east coast summers (as a resident going to work every day it DROVE ME NUTS). At least in Miami, you get a gorgeous beach in exchange for the humidity. A more reasonable trade off......

Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
I have been to Jamaica, Rio, Cabo, Hawaii, Barbados, the US Virgin Islands, and Aruba. However, the Atlantic Ocean around the Exumas in the southern Bahamas is the most amazing combination of water/sand/sky that I have ever seen in my life.
TW -
The locales you listed, although have great points, there are negatives. Forget Jamaica... and Rio has Favellas in every barrio, also dangerous, and you can't trust anyone in Brazil! Barbados, US Virgin Islands and Aruba all have great Beach beauty but way to expensive to buy or live part / full-time. Cabo also stupid expensive. Hawaii forget it unless your family bought property 50 years ago. Exumas may have it all but only super rich can buy and live there. I think most of us on City-Data are average guys looking for a bigger, better deal. I know small islands that offer huge bang for buck that can rival any Bahama island. My life last 20 years traveling Latin Ameica. I know the game SOTB. That said, when recommending or referring locales, include the cost of living, RE, etc.

Have nice evening everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City