Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Monica 35 63.64%
Miami Beach 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The only problem is, North Miami Beach is kinda ghetto. Haitian gang violence, and whatnot. I mean, I'm Haitian myself, but my aunt used to own a salon in North Miami Beach, so I observed that it KINDA ranges to semi-affluent, to low income.
I disagree. Surfside, just south of Bal Harbour is wonderful and clean. Violence? Where? Maybe over the peninsula, large black ghetto there.

From tip of SoBe to Hollandale is excellent, can't go wrong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 AM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I am curious to know exactly what you meant by the BOLDED section above??? Do I understand you to mean that the "American/Miami" attitude rubs off on these otherwise "average" gals and they THINK they are now top notch.....????
You don't understand b/c you've never traveled or lived outside the US and you've never spent extended time in Latin America. Americans, and American women, sorry to say are spoiled, both men and women. Not all of us, but most. I think 75%. But mostly women. That said, when 3rd world knock out hot babes from Brazil, Colombia enter the US via Miami MIA... they are unspoiled. However, once they intermingle among us Americans and their American lady friend counterparts, they become, well, like us! Unfortunately, American women have a reputation around the world, outside the US as bossy, dominating, power hungry, obese, abusive, not feminine, etc. Example; 1-10 scale of beauty, both physical and personality. A 5 in Rio would be a 8 in US. A skinny 26 your old Latina from Medellin w/bolt on boobs dime a dozen in Colombia. Now that same gal in Miami a 9.

If you are heterosexual male reading this. My personal opinion, I think Miami is easier to meet and know women. LA women seem so hard to meet. LA women always walking fast, on the cell, work, work, work seems he goal in life. I recall 3 months ago while visiting friends in LA staying in Marina del Rey.... drove up to SF Valley. Off Hazeltine the old Fashion Square mall. Different name now. I went in, walked around, sat upstairs in restaurant area coffeee shop. Took a seat to people watch, work on Laptop. So many Persian people! Well off minorites from Iran, Iraq, Jordan, etc. I saw a lot of women but they seemed unaproachable. Mother's with their daughters, and the kid was yacking on the cell wearing designer clothes made in Europe. I feel so sorry for the dudes who marry women like this. I cannot imagine being married to a woman like this.

Either way, for 40+ single men in SoFL or SoCal, meeting attractive, intelligent women not easy!

Last edited by R66; 02-26-2010 at 01:38 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
I disagree. Surfside, just south of Bal Harbour is wonderful and clean. Violence? Where? Maybe over the peninsula, large black ghetto there.

From tip of SoBe to Hollandale is excellent, can't go wrong there.
Yeah, within the city-limits of North Miami Beach. North Miami Beach, Golden Glades the city of North Miami, and the areas directly SOUTH of there such as Little Haiti, Miami Shores, El Portal, are lower income high crime areas. Maybe you were talking about the islands ACROSS the bridge from these areas like Sunny Isle Beach, Normandy Shores, Surfside, and North Bay Village.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 AM

150 posts, read 560,809 times
As you can tell by my screen name, I love the tropics…I have been to Jamaica, the US/British Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Hawaii…etc. In terms of water and waves and beach activities…coming from the West Coast I learned a lot more about the East Coast in terms of the beach;

In Florida, particularly south Florida and the Florida Keys…more people seem to be into scuba/snorkeling. I was shocked at how clear the Atlantic was, the fish in the coral were amazing off the Florida Keys and even around Miami Beach. I went to a place about 40-minutes south of Miami Beach called the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. Well, the coral reef of Southeast Florida is really amazing. Here are some pics of JPCRSP and Fort Jefferson.

Also, although normally the waves off the coast of Miami Beach are small (I think this is why the good snorkeling/scuba, the waters are not filled with silt that was been tossed up)…the is a big surf culture around Coco Beach, Florida (even Daytona Beach a little). Due to the position of the coast of Florida around Coco Beach/Cape Canaveral (it faces southeast)…there are swells that come out of the Bermuda High. Of course, when a hurricane pass north of the Bahamas the waves are amazing, they look like Australia (lol). So, from what I understand, if you want to surf in Florida, Coco Beach is really the area. The Ron Jon in Coco was a fun surf shop to see:

Old 02-26-2010, 07:34 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

YouTube - Sunny Isles Beach view - Collins Avenue

Las Vegas on water.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
As you can tell by my screen name, I love the tropics…I have been to Jamaica, the US/British Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, Hawaii…etc. In terms of water and waves and beach activities…coming from the West Coast I learned a lot more about the East Coast in terms of the beach;

In Florida, particularly south Florida and the Florida Keys…more people seem to be into scuba/snorkeling. I was shocked at how clear the Atlantic was, the fish in the coral were amazing off the Florida Keys and even around Miami Beach. I went to a place about 40-minutes south of Miami Beach called the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. Well, the coral reef of Southeast Florida is really amazing. Here are some pics of JPCRSP and Fort Jefferson.

Also, although normally the waves off the coast of Miami Beach are small (I think this is why the good snorkeling/scuba, the waters are not filled with silt that was been tossed up)…the is a big surf culture around Coco Beach, Florida (even Daytona Beach a little). Due to the position of the coast of Florida around Coco Beach/Cape Canaveral (it faces southeast)…there are swells that come out of the Bermuda High. Of course, when a hurricane pass north of the Bahamas the waves are amazing, they look like Australia (lol). So, from what I understand, if you want to surf in Florida, Coco Beach is really the area. The Ron Jon in Coco was a fun surf shop to see:

I'm LOVING these pics.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times

YouTube - Stiltsville in Miami, FL

Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
You don't understand b/c you've never traveled or lived outside the US and you've never spent extended time in Latin America. Americans, and American women, sorry to say are spoiled, both men and women. Not all of us, but most. I think 75%. But mostly women. That said, when 3rd world knock out hot babes from Brazil, Colombia enter the US via Miami MIA... they are unspoiled. However, once they intermingle among us Americans and their American lady friend counterparts, they become, well, like us! Unfortunately, American women have a reputation around the world, outside the US as bossy, dominating, power hungry, obese, abusive, not feminine, etc. Example; 1-10 scale of beauty, both physical and personality. A 5 in Rio would be a 8 in US. A skinny 26 your old Latina from Medellin w/bolt on boobs dime a dozen in Colombia. Now that same gal in Miami a 9.

If you are heterosexual male reading this. My personal opinion, I think Miami is easier to meet and know women. LA women seem so hard to meet. LA women always walking fast, on the cell, work, work, work seems he goal in life. I recall 3 months ago while visiting friends in LA staying in Marina del Rey.... drove up to SF Valley. Off Hazeltine the old Fashion Square mall. Different name now. I went in, walked around, sat upstairs in restaurant area coffeee shop. Took a seat to people watch, work on Laptop. So many Persian people! Well off minorites from Iran, Iraq, Jordan, etc. I saw a lot of women but they seemed unaproachable. Mother's with their daughters, and the kid was yacking on the cell wearing designer clothes made in Europe. I feel so sorry for the dudes who marry women like this. I cannot imagine being married to a woman like this.

Either way, for 40+ single men in SoFL or SoCal, meeting attractive, intelligent women not easy!

Yes, I do understand as I have traveled to Latin America and I AGREE 100%...the attitudue is 180 degrees from the typical attitude aqui en Los Estados Unidos. Sad but VERY true.

I RARELY if ever approach Persian women in LA....a very closed off culture. Unless they were born and raised in the US and even then the WALLS they put up are almost always insurmountable. I had a Persian male friend tell me years ago that MOST Persian parents will look down on their daughter if they date outside their own culture. I think this is SLOWLY changing but your observation is spot on.

Yes, the typical LA girl (of any race) is a tough sell....but I just approach it like a numbers game until I meet a nice, approachable, attractive one. But I agree....I'd much rather be in Latin America to meet women....so sweet, nice, approachable, and HOT!!!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
R66

Nolan123 -
The twin looking circular buildings in your vid are great buys. I was looking at a huge 3br/3bath Condo the first one closest to Collins, facing Collins, 3 floor. Short sale asking $450.000k. Sunny isles a wonderfully planned community thanks to a wealthy jewish family who purchased most of the land in late 70s. Same family partnered with Trump to build Trump's new tower. Clean, quiet, very safe. SI is a big Russian Jewish community. Maybe 60%! So I am not sure how it would be to live there. I've noticed most wealthy Jewish communities keep to themselves and don't want to let oursiders in their circle. maybe I am wrong. Just my opinion.

Trade Winds also correct - 2/3 hours north of Miami, waves begin to get big. Nothing like Pipeline or San Clemente, but it's doable. Kelly Slater mastered little waves in Cocoa, now he's a legend. People in Miami don't really think about surfing b/c have loads of other water sports like snorkling, fishing, boatomg, etc. Trade's 7th image down is Daytona Beach. I know it well. And on clear clalm, days the ocean water can look this good! But not every day. Also, in terms of fun factor, nothing at all to do in Daytona or anywhere north of Jupiter. Sad to say rednecks, cheap yankees and mid-westerners flock to Daytona. Daytona and surrpunding areas are cheap therefore it attracts bums from outside Florida.

Santa Monica does not have cheap people, but you got bums.

Last edited by R66; 02-26-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
R66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Property taxes in Calif are actually pretty reasonable...approx. 1.2% of the purhcase price and then LIMITED to an increase of only 2% per year, for as LONG as you own it. State INCOME taxes and SALES tax are HIGH.
I did not know this! Thanks for heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City