Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Santa Monica 35 63.64%
Miami Beach 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
oh please.
As a tourist? Not saying Santa Monica isn't Ok, but what's the upside as a tourist compared to Santa Barbara? It isn't as good a beach as the beaches in Orange County, San Diego County or Santa Barbara. Also the city isn't anything special compared to San Francisco as a tourist. I lived in LA for a while. It doesn't really have a lot of interesting tourist attractions to me (the Hollywood stuff is grimy and dull), it is very spread out and not easy to navigate as a tourist, and the smog IS bad compared to Orange County, San Diego and Santa Barbara. Oh please? I'm actually trying to provide advice to tourists- go to Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Carmel, and San Francisco unless you are here for more than three weeks...you can definitely skip LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Miami Beach....because there is more variety in cultures, the water is nicer, Some of the best nightlife in the world, and all the beautiful looking people

Old 03-08-2010, 09:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
As a tourist? Not saying Santa Monica isn't Ok, but what's the upside as a tourist compared to Santa Barbara? It isn't as good a beach as the beaches in Orange County, San Diego County or Santa Barbara. Also the city isn't anything special compared to San Francisco as a tourist. I lived in LA for a while. It doesn't really have a lot of interesting tourist attractions to me (the Hollywood stuff is grimy and dull), it is very spread out and not easy to navigate as a tourist, and the smog IS bad compared to Orange County, San Diego and Santa Barbara. Oh please? I'm actually trying to provide advice to tourists- go to Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Carmel, and San Francisco unless you are here for more than three weeks...you can definitely skip LA.
How is the beach different in Orange county, San Diego and Santa Barbara from Santa Monica? All have wide beaches and decent surf. Santa Monica has the pier\ strand\ Venice Beach & Malibu nearby plus Los Angeles. Your opinion of LA distorts your crediblity in my opinion. As for smog, please cite data that Santa Monica is more smoggy than any other regions in SoCal because you are wrong again.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Please cite data that Santa Monica is more smoggy than any other regions in SoCal because you are wrong again.
The Poster before is correct. The ocean and beaches of OC are generally better kept and cleaner, less smog. Santa Monica's beach is very limited. #1, you got all the rich homes blocking the public from walking across PCH, and most of SM has cliffs therefore it's impossible to just walk out to the beach. Santa Monica will always be a place for wealthy movie undustry types, maga CEO's, Burned out music legends, has been actors, trust fund babies, etc. Santa Monica is also 75% jewish. For living 4/6 months in winter, vacations, temp living; I say Miami Beach hands down. And I've lived in both locales for extended stays. Not SM but SF Valley, but drove to SM a lot and that makes me an expert. Fyi: Miami is much more than the Beach: Stiltsville, Brickell, Florida Keys 2 hours away, Key Biscayne, Ft. Lauderdale, Golden beach, world class Dog Racing in Hollandale, world class gambling in Hollywood, the most cleanest well kept city in US-Boca Raton, world class fishing, boating, scuba diving, 2 hours by Boat to Bahamas, etc. But L.A. is Los Angeles... A world class city with world class people.

One thing is for sure -- both locales have a high percentage of fake, snobby and spoiled population and the women are high extremely manitenance and spoiled. Unless you are some high profile well off dude, most women in Miami or L.A. won't even look at you unless they know you from a 3rd party. But, then again, if I wanna meet knock out approachable unspoiled ladies, I hop a flight to Colombia or Brazil.

Flip a coin

Last edited by R66; 03-08-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
The Poster before is correct. The ocean and beaches of OC are generally better kept and cleaner, less smog. Santa Monica's beach is very limited. #1, you got all the rich homes blocking the public from walking across PCH, and most of SM has cliffs therefore it's impossible to just walk out to the beach. Santa Monica will always be a place for wealthy movie undustry types, maga CEO's, Burned out music legends, has been actors, trust fund babies, etc. Santa Monica is also 75% jewish. For living 4/6 months in winter, vacations, temp living; I say Miami Beach hands down. And I've lived in both locales for extended stays. Not SM but SF Valley, but drove to SM a lot and that makes me an expert. Fyi: Miami is much more than the Beach: Stiltsville, Brickell, Florida Keys 2 hours away, Key Biscayne, Ft. Lauderdale, Golden beach, world class Dog Racing in Hollandale, world class gambling in Hollywood, the most cleanest well kept city in US-Boca Raton, world class fishing, boating, scuba diving, 2 hours by Boat to Bahamas, etc. But L.A. is Los Angeles... A world class city with world class people.

One thing is for sure -- both locales have a high percentage of fake, snobby and spoiled population and the women are high extremely manitenance and spoiled. Unless you are some high profile well off dude, most women in Miami or L.A. won't even look at you unless they know you from a 3rd party. But, then again, if I wanna meet knock out approachable unspoiled ladies, I hop a flight to Colombia or Brazil.

Flip a coin
I feel you bro

I am super poor but females seem drawn to me until I show them my empty wallet! That was a very thoughtful reply & I must agree with it. It is interesting that both Miami & LA have such large Jewish populations. Why is that? Ever watch "Curb your Enthusiasm"? HBO: Curb Your Enthusiasm: Homepage

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,110,484 times
Quote:

Flip a coin
There is no more smog in Santa Monica than any other coastal city in SoCal. There is LESS smog on coastal SM than in coastal San Diego! How do I know this? Actual, scientific data! Now, L.A. is actually responsible for the higher level of smog in SD. But, wind patterns blow all of L.A.'s air pollution into the valleys of L.A. and then that travels down into SD. True story.

And I have to laugh at a guy who lived in the crummy SF Valley speaking as a SM representative. Where exactly one lives in an area shaps their perspective greatly. That would be like you living in Weston, FL and saying you're a South Beach person.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
And I have to laugh at a guy who lived in the crummy SF Valley speaking as a SM representative.
Crummy SF Valley? How so? The Valley was good back in the day, some parts Still are. Santa Monica is not reality. THe people in SM are so rich and spoiled they live in another world. When I think of people in SM, the word GREED comes to mind. Miami Beach the same to some extent, but Miami has more down to earth oattitude utside huge wealthy communities like Bal Harbour, 95% jewish.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:
Santa Monica is also 75% jewish. For living 4/6 months in winter, vacations, temp living; I say Miami Beach hands down. And I've lived in both locales for extended stays. Not SM but SF Valley, but drove to SM a lot and that makes me an expert. Fyi: Miami is much more than the Beach: Stiltsville, Brickell, Florida Keys 2 hours away, Key Biscayne, Ft. Lauderdale, Golden beach, world class Dog Racing in Hollandale, world class gambling in Hollywood, the most cleanest well kept city in US-Boca Raton, world class fishing, boating, scuba diving, 2 hours by Boat to Bahamas, etc. But L.A. is Los Angeles... A world class city with world class people.

The bolded part of your post is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE. It's very hard to get good data on religous affiliation by City...as the US Census does NOT ask this question.

That said, a few Jewish American organizations have done surveys to document where most Jewish Americans live. The best source for Santa Monica I could find is from the American Jewish Yearbook (1992) which puts the Jewish population in Santa Monica in the early 90's at approx. 9.2% of Santa Monica's population.

The link below is a more recent survey reported by the Jewish Journal which actually shows that the affluent "hills" of the San Fernando Valley have the HIGHEST CONCENTRATION of JEWS (48%) in the LA area. So Santa Monica is nowhere near 75% Jewish, maybe today it's around 20% to 25% but certainly LESS than 50%..

From Mulholland, to the freeway, to the ocean, white with foam—God bless the Valley Hills | Community Briefs | Jewish Journal

And for the record, the approx. percentage of the US population that is Jewish is 2.5%. The STATES with the highest proportion of Jews are as follows:

1. New York (9.1%)
2. New Jersey (5.1%)
3. Florida (4.6%)
4. Wash, DC (4.5%)
5. Massachussets (4.4%)
8. California (2.9%)

See Source Here: American Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I feel you bro

I am super poor but females seem drawn to me until I show them my empty wallet! That was a very thoughtful reply & I must agree with it. It is interesting that both Miami & LA have such large Jewish populations. Why is that? Ever watch "Curb your Enthusiasm"? HBO: Curb Your Enthusiasm: Homepage

I am not Jewish but having grown up in LA with numerous Jewish friends with family members in the entertainment business I can give one important HISTORICAL reason why there are so many Jews in Hollywood.

Basically, between 1880 and 1910 a large number of Jews came to the USA from Europe. At that time the "movie" business was just developing. In fact, the "Nikelodeon" movies where you could pay 5 cents to see a movie short were becoming a popular form of entertainment in many big cities.

HOWEVER, the existing THEATRE establishment (dominated by White Anglo Saxon Protestants) LOOKED DOWN on this new "CRASS" form of entertainment for the masses. Well, Jews being relative newcomers to the USA saw this as a way to get into an emerging business. They were SHUNNED from the genteel world of the theatre but there were opportunities for them to get in on the emerging movie business.

There is a good book on the subject called, "Hollywood, Jews, and America" by Steven Ross, published in 2002.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Flip a coin
On this we agree! So let's say a relatively good looking American guy and reasonably successful was to head down to Colombia (for example) for vacation.

Could he meet a nice, hot gal and convinve her to eventually join him in the states??? Assume he is either in So Calif. or SoFla. so the location within the states is appealing to a girl from Colombia.

You have any recommendations as to cities or places to target for a trip down there???? What's the best approach to use once you are there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City