Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:47 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,208,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
denver is WAY more diverse than any city in the PNW. its has more minorities and higher percentages of minorities than portland, seattle, etc. look up the numbers! denver is not white bread. sure, theres white people here but there in every city. also, plenty of californians happened to move out to colorado also. and what you all seem to forget is all the immigrants denver and other southwest states attract as well. denver has a high immigrant pop. as well. portland has a way more white bread image than denver. also, it is way more white and white bread than denver. colorado has way more people not like that than the PNW states. thank you
Denver is white and Latino/Hispanic, not very much of anything else. It's not THAT diverse....in fact, I'd go as far as to say that Seattle is more diverse as I know it has a large Asian population, Hispanic population, European immigrant population, and a black population about twice as large as Denver's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 320,937 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Denver is white and Latino/Hispanic, not very much of anything else. It's not THAT diverse....in fact, I'd go as far as to say that Seattle is more diverse as I know it has a large Asian population, Hispanic population, European immigrant population, and a black population about twice as large as Denver's.

seattle and portland have a way higher white non hispanic pop. than denver and other southwest usa cities, with the exception of salt lake city and colorado springs.

Seattle: 68.4% non hispanic white, 8.0% african american, 0.9% native american, 13.2% asian, and 5.6% hispanic/latino.

portland: 74.0% non hispanic white, 6.4% africana merican, 1.4% native american, 6.5% asian, and 8.8% hispanic/latino.

denver: 50.7% non hispanic white, 9.6% african american, 1.1% native american, 3.3% asian american, and 34.1% hispanic/latino.

So, no denver does have more african americans than portland or seattle. get that right. portland and seattle have more asian americans than denver but thats it. denvers hispanic percentage and size is about 4 to 5 times larger than portlands and about 7 times larger than seattles. and the white populations in both northwest cities are significantly higher.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Default wow

Quote:

seattle and portland have a way higher white non hispanic pop. than denver and other southwest usa cities, with the exception of salt lake city and colorado springs.

Seattle: 68.4% non hispanic white, 8.0% african american, 0.9% native american, 13.2% asian, and 5.6% hispanic/latino.

portland: 74.0% non hispanic white, 6.4% african american, 1.4% native american, 6.5% asian, and 8.8% hispanic/latino.

denver: 50.7% non hispanic white, 9.6% african american, 1.1% native american, 3.3% asian american, and 34.1% hispanic/latino.

So, no denver does have more african americans than portland or seattle. get that right. portland and seattle have more asian americans than denver but thats it. denvers hispanic percentage and size is about 4 to 5 times larger than portlands and about 7 times larger than seattles. and the white populations in both northwest cities are significantly higher.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,208,389 times
Sorry, metro populations, not city only. Source your stats too.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Sorry, metro populations, not city only. Source your stats too.
okay heres the metro areas.

seattle: 5.29% african american, 11.02% asian, 1.14% native, 7.54% hispanic, and 78.51% white alone.

denver: 5.37% african american, 3.52% asian, 1.03% native, 22.51% latino, and 67.57% white alone.

portland: 2.82% african american, 5.75% asian, 0.91% native, 10.47% latino, and 80.05% white.

also, plenty of minorites who live in the seattle-tacoma metro area, actually live in tacoma which is basically a whole other city itself. tacoma has way more minorites than the city of seattle. also, the other numbers came from the 2006-2008 american surveys of the areas, from the census bureau. look it up on the census website of you dont believe me.

so in conclusion, the city of denver and the denver metro area is still less white than the PNW cities. also, both metro areas in seattle and denver have equal black percentages, but the city of denver has a higher black population. both cities have more asian americans, and denver has a way higher hispanic and latino (mexican americans mostly) populaiton. also colorado in general has way more immigrants than washington and oregon. the whole southwest has way more immigrnats too.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 12:50 AM..

Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The funny with about the idea of a 'Mild or Moderate' climate is that it is very relative.

For most folks from the East Coast or Mid West Denver has a mild climate - many sunny days even in the winter months and snow which normally melts off very quickly.

For folks from California, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, and even the PNW Denver will seem quite a bit colder than what they are used to. For example we are from California and had never experienced blizzards or being 'snowed in' before. That is not what we consider 'mild' weather. LOL... ;-P But there are a lot of sunny days in between those blizzards.

I think the harder thing for us to get used to were the number of days and nights when temperatures were well below freezing, and not just in the winter. I went out to do some landscape photography with a local friend of mine and my camera actually 'froze' up. It was 0 degrees out! I had to take it back in the car and thaw it out with the heater running so that I could try and take some pictures. That was new for me.;-D

Then there is hiking in the snow when it is below freezing (5-20 degrees + wind). That is down right cold for a California boy. LOL...
i dont disagree with anything you said except thatd enver is not the midwest. Colorado is considered a western, southwest, and mountain west state. its the same as utah, arizona, new mexico, and nevada.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM

i am sure that oregon and washington is beautiful as well but the state of colorado is so diverse with its terrain. Northwest Colorado has a mix of mountains and desert lands, and desert canyons. West and southwest colorado also has a mix of mountains, desert canyons, mesas, and more desert land. southern colorado has a few plains (high plains), mountains, and desert lands as well. southeast colorado has some desert lands but is still mostly high plains. eastern and northeastern colorado are mostly high plains. northern colorado is a mix of highplains, and mountains and foothills. while central colorado has a bit of everything depending on the area. the types of land is very similar to new mexico. it has high plains, desert lands, desert canyons, mountains, foothills, etc.

Colorado has the great sand dunes, mesa verde, rocky mtn. national park, black canyons, colorado national monument, garden of the gods, san juan mountains, etc. it also has the four corners national monument of the southwest. so if your looking for many natural southwest type of scenic beauty, than i'd say colorado or other southwest states. but if your looking for the ocean and other mountains and stuff, i'd say the PNW is your choice. i am sure the PNW is very beautiful as well.

Also, Colorado is not always conservative. it is usually a purple state (sometimes its democrat and sometimes it votes republican). colorado is also one of two states that have marijuana dispensaries on its streets. so it is very laid back and liberal as well. food is very different though. the PNW is big on sea food type and asian foods. while colorado is mostly known for its green chili, southwest omelette, breakfast burritos, and new mexican cusine in genreal. so its just a different region of the country.

ALSO, COLORADO IS NOT THE MIDWEST! i read a post saying that. its a western state, mountain west state, and southwest state.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 PM

Default yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
The funny with about the idea of a 'Mild or Moderate' climate is that it is very relative.

For most folks from the East Coast or Mid West Denver has a mild climate - many sunny days even in the winter months and snow which normally melts off very quickly.

For folks from California, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, and even the PNW Denver will seem quite a bit colder than what they are used to. For example we are from California and had never experienced blizzards or being 'snowed in' before. That is not what we consider 'mild' weather. LOL... ;-P But there are a lot of sunny days in between those blizzards.

I think the harder thing for us to get used to were the number of days and nights when temperatures were well below freezing, and not just in the winter. I went out to do some landscape photography with a local friend of mine and my camera actually 'froze' up. It was 0 degrees out! I had to take it back in the car and thaw it out with the heater running so that I could try and take some pictures. That was new for me.;-D

Then there is hiking in the snow when it is below freezing (5-20 degrees + wind). That is down right cold for a California boy. LOL...
to people in the northwest/PNW, east coast, and midwest, denver can also seem quite a bit hotter in the warm months. Denver even has a greater high temperature in the summer than cities like Los Angeles (highest average temp is in august, 84.8), san diego (highest average temp is in august, 77.5), san francisco (71.3). sacramento however, does get a little bit hotter in the summer than denver does. those temperatures are the month where the high temperature is usually the highest. you can see it on each cities climate section on wiki. but denver does get way colder in the winter and fall months in the year, seeing as its elevation is so high. the climate for denver is much like salt lake city and albuquerque, only denver receives more snow than ABQ and ABQ usualy gets a couple degrees hotter.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,729 times
I prefer Denver over Portland. I'm a native of the bay area in Palo Alto about 1/2 hour south of SF. I have visited both cities and like them both. I was surprised by how cool Denver was when I recently visited for the first time. It has an interesting art, music, and gay culture - who would have thought? .. and I love snow boarding in the beautiful rockies... Portland is beautiful too with a great culture, and beautiful nature, but the 2 things that would prevent me from wanting to live in Portland is the constant drizzle and gray weather, and it lacks diversity - mostly white... Everything else about Portland is nice, but that's too much of a draw back for me... I hope to visit Colorado more often..

Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 PM

239 posts, read 596,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inskeep303 View Post
i love how people on here are saying that denver is some small town feel city or some ****. denver is much more diverse than portland or seattle or the PNW in general. denver is very liberal now days and has plenty more to offer than boring portland. plus, it always rains in the PNW and in denver it is very sunny. i just disagree with the perception people are trying to portray denver as. also, i have lived in denver, not the little richy suburbs, for 18 years and know what denver is all about. the city has a large minority pop. in the city and the metro area (way more than any cities in the PNW, trust me on that), go look it up for yourself. yes, there are hicks in colorado in some areas but there are hicks in every single state in america. theres no hicks in the forest areas in the PNW???? really? denver is much more with it, because of its large diversity. so dont bash my city by saying its hickish and is a conservative leave it to beaver state. in that case, new mexico, AZ, utah and CO are all hicks right? some people on here are straight up ignorant.
(Yes, I know this thread is old, but I have to ask anyway)

Question: why on earth are you getting so defensive? No-one is "bashing" "Your city". The only thing people are doing, is offering their opinions on both cities, and which one THEY think may be the better one to live -- opinions specifically solicited by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City