Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM

161 posts, read 699,651 times

Advertisements

The Tenderloin? It's a neighborhood of what 10 city blocks, tops. Any older city has 10 gritty city blocks. Gritty parts of San Fran are the Mission and Hunters Point. And still those parts of town look like Beverly Hills compared to much of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And if you've really been to Houston; you'll be able to determine if it is or not. I shouldn't have to prove it to you through pictures (which pictures don't do any type of justice considering the city is VERY large).

True...

Anyone who has been to Houston at all knows we have some very gritty areas (unfortunately). Show them some pics of Alief, 3rd or 5th wards or greenspoint for the person that does not believe it.

NY is not the most gritty city anymore. Alot of the city looks far better than it did in the 1970's (the height of its grittiness)

Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and Philly are the "grittiest" overall

Old 03-13-2010, 02:34 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The Tenderloin? It's a neighborhood of what 10 city blocks, tops. Any older city has 10 gritty city blocks. Gritty parts of San Fran are the Mission and Hunters Point. And still those parts of town look like Beverly Hills compared to much of Detroit.

What is your definition of grit? Abandoned neighborhoods full of bombed out falling apart buildings and empty lots that are slowly getting reclaimed by nature? Is that alone "grit" to you? Because yes, in that case then SF as well as as MOST OTHER cities in the US look like Beverly Hills compared to Detroit. The tenderloin is also just as gritty as HP and the Mission in terms of grime and shady people out and about. You're more likely to, i dunno, get car jacked or something in HP or the Mission though. As far as abandoned buildings, the TL, HP and Mission all have their share (not Detroit level abandonment, obviously), though i'd put HP first, followed by the Mission and TL.

Also, the Tenderloin is more than "10 blocks." Try 40-50 square blocks. Go count them out on google maps if you don't believe me.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:25 AM

40 posts, read 148,440 times
when i think of gritty I think blue-collared over anything else. This working class influence is seen culturally, socially, and visually. San Fran would not be included in this list imo.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
In Boston, Southie is no longer gritty, nor is East Cambridge. Roxbury is still "gritty" in that sense the poster described. East Boston and Chelsea though are def gritty.

The dynamic of residents in Southie may have changed and neighborhood is somewhat gentrified but by appearences Southie remains most definitely gritty. Same triple decker homes, the monstrosity power plant, and industrial waterfront are all still there

Old 03-13-2010, 07:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Ok, this is NOT gritty at all. Looked up those areas in Houston. Gritty means lots of old buildings, cars all over, graffiti. This doesn't even look like a city. Our suburbs are more dense than this. Thanks for the laugh...

http://www.visibleweather.com/images...s_context1.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...ool-corner.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...-site-sign.jpg

THIS is gritty:

http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/2008_10_Dumbo.jpg

http://www.nybits.com/images/photo/long_island_city_2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-13-2010, 08:46 AM

648 posts, read 1,619,087 times
Nothing is as gritty as the old New York.
http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_11_watchmen1.jpg (broken link)

YouTube - New York Bronx (South Bronx) in the 70`s and 80`s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1z5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HfSM...eature=related

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 03-13-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:10 AM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times
Pittsburgh is very gritty in some parts. Add the entire Upper Ohio Valley to that list too.

I find being surrounded by grit depresses me. I just got back from eastern Ohio (Bellaire, Martins Ferry) and although they are not major cities, both are just plain gritty and depressing.

When I'm in a gritty area for a while, I start feeling gritty myself. I grew up in a gritty area and it does something to your psyche.

I was so happy to return to my bland, yet not gritty, suburb.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
True...

Anyone who has been to Houston at all knows we have some very gritty areas (unfortunately). Show them some pics of Alief, 3rd or 5th wards or greenspoint for the person that does not believe it.

NY is not the most gritty city anymore. Alot of the city looks far better than it did in the 1970's (the height of its grittiness)

Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and Philly are the "grittiest" overall
I'd have to agree with your choices.

As regards San Francisco -- gritty? FFS! A beautiful city, no doubt, but most definitely NOT gritty. San Francisco is "Legoland." If it has "grit," it's "toy grit."

Now Oakland, on the other hand...THERE is a gritty city.

Finally, shouldn't this question really be inverted? Nearly all the American cities I have been too have significant "gritty" elements. Wouldn't it make more sense to hone in on major or mid-size American cities that are "not gritty? (despite some "gritty" elements)"

Major "Not Gritty" city: Minneapolis-St. Paul (the only "non-gritty" rustbelt city!)

Mid-size "Not Gritty" city: Mmmmm....????

Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
There was a book written in 1978 by Mary Procter which was actually called "Gritty Cities". It is a collection of photos and histories of several smaller gritty cities. Included in that book were:

Allentown, PA
Bethlehem, PA
Lancaster, PA
Reading, PA
Paterson, NJ
Trenton, NJ
Hoboken, NJ
Bridgeport, CT
Norwich, CT
Waterbury, CT
Troy, NY
Wilmington, DE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City