Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 66 50.77%
Orlando 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

One thing I know is that both are GROWING Sunbelt cities. Orlando receives plenty of residents from South Florida, and Charlotte receives alot of residents from the WHOLE east-coast. These 2 cities seem like an equally matched comparison. Horray for the Sunbelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
You were making excuses of why Charlotte doesn't carry those labels and made some irrelevant argument of if we take out the tourism industry what the market would be, etc. And I want to state clear that no excuses can be made. We were saying the same thing in terms of tourism making market larger, but my main point is that these options provided partly because of tourism can be accessed by all residents there too. If the stores aren't there, they aren't there, and there are fewer options for all residents. The same applies for dining, night life, etc. Some of those amenities are of that grand scale because it has a tourism industry, but they don't ban the residents from participating, do they? So there is no pointing making excuses. Almost all cities having excellent shopping, dining and nightlife options have some tourism going on there, and those aspects themselves can be tourism attractions in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
ROFL, you're essentially restating what I said and then say "I don't know why you can't see that"? ROFL!!!!!!!!! Stop being so sensitive dude, I'm not beating up on Orlando.

Last edited by fashionguy; 03-27-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
You were making excuses of why Charlotte doesn't carry those labels and made some irrelevant argument of if we take out the tourism industry what the market would be, etc. And I want to state clear that no excuses can be made. We were saying the same thing in terms of tourism making market larger, but my main point is that these options provided partly because of tourism can be accessed by all residents there too. If the stores aren't there, they aren't there, and there are fewer options for all residents. The same applies for dining, night life, etc. Some of those amenities are of that grand scale because it has a tourism industry, but they don't ban the residents from participating, do they? So there is no pointing making excuses. Almost all cities having excellent shopping, dining and nightlife options have some tourism going on there, and those aspects themselves can be tourism attractions in some cases.
Sir, it is not an EXCUSE on Charlotte's part. It is a legitimate reason as to why we don't have many of those stores--we simply don't have a large tourist sector like Orlando does. It doesn't make Orlando a better city nor does it make Charlotte a worse city; they are simply two different types of cities. Charlotte is more business-oriented, while Orlando is more tourism-oriented, and both are beneficial to their cities in different ways. Again dude, stop being so sensitive; it's really not that serious. If it is, just go create a poll where Orlando will easily win so you can sleep better at night.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:49 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
So what. If you don't know anything about shopping, you can always shut up about this subject. OP asked about shopping, so those who understand the difference can provide their input.

LOL! The difference between what?

Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I live here. The tourists that I see are not attractive at all. And the guys all wear capris which is very odd.
Capri's?Maybe they are European.....

Last edited by afonega1; 03-27-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 04:27 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Sir, it is not an EXCUSE on Charlotte's part. It is a legitimate reason as to why we don't have many of those stores--we simply don't have a large tourist sector like Orlando does. It doesn't make Orlando a better city nor does it make Charlotte a worse city; they are simply two different types of cities. Charlotte is more business-oriented, while Orlando is more tourism-oriented, and both are beneficial to their cities in different ways. Again dude, stop being so sensitive; it's really not that serious. If it is, just go create a poll where Orlando will easily win so you can sleep better at night.
agreed

Old 03-27-2010, 04:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
Stop saying I am sensitive. I am making a point here. Saying I am too sensitive is just a fancy way of telling me to shut up and I am not going to fall for that. If you are so not sensitive, why do you keep posting under me? Why don't you start another thread and leave this one permanently?

What OP asked includes shopping, nightliefe, etc, doesn't it? Your intention to make people disregard these aspects just because there is a legitimate reason for the difference is irrelevant, self-centered and not helpful to the original question at all. May I remind you the original question is not about which city is better overall? Actually this kind of questions is now banned I think. So what's your point of saying shopping has nothing to do with which city is better overall? The original question doesn't care and many of us don't care either. We want to know which city has better shopping, nightlife, etc, under such a thread even if they don't automatically make a city better overall.

I have no connection to orlando whatsoever. I am just sick of people here neglecting what the original question is and starting comparing according to their own concerns in EVERY thread, even if the original question is well defined and confined to certain aspects. And the worst thing is they seem proud of that. When some people brought out legitimate comparisons of the aspects actually stated in the question, they try to discredit these comments only because these aspects are not important to THEM. Well if you think aspects in the original question are not important to you, you can always make your own polls comparing aspects you care about, but do NOT contaminate a thread with your false comments in aspects you don't know about. This forum needs some diversity about all aspects of cities.

Quote:

Last edited by fashionguy; 03-27-2010 at 05:01 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 04:56 PM

134 posts, read 123,016 times
Men talking about shopping malls,that will be a good topic on the next Dr. Phil.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
I think we can all agree that when it comes to amenities such as entertainment, night life, shopping, dinning, etc. Orlando wins. And when it comes to the economy Charlotte wins, even though Charlotte has a higher unemployment rate than Orlando.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The IRONY of this statement is, ALL the Floridians moving up here to Charlotte are changing the culture of Charlotte by the day.
Ironic that the demographic makeup and economic climate of Orlando 15 years ago seemed a lot more like the Charlotte of today. The economy of Florida became way tied too housing and tourism and the growth has been anything but diverse. Remains to be seen how Orlando evolves in the future. It is a wildcard whereas the future for Charlotte seems much more crystal clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City