Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte vs. Orlando
Charlotte 66 50.77%
Orlando 64 49.23%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thanks for bringing that up John. I do realize that, but that is my point, that both cities are pretty much evenly matched as far as downtowns and amenities, with Charlottes Downtown being a little more advanced. The way some posters make it sound you would think Orlando is New York and Charlotte is Birmingham.
The way YOU make it sound is as if Orlando is hell on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Yeah Orlando and Charlotte are in the same boat as far as he economy goes(I live in Charlotte). Both cities are growing, but some on here don't believe my words, when I say Charlotte is struggling also. Both cities are making comebacks though. Charlotte just landed a new company the other day I think. But as far as the economy goes Charlotte and Orlando seem about even. It's weird how people try ignore the different companies in Orlando like the weapons testing industry in Orlando, and the Medical Center being built and bio-tech companies going there, and all the other smaller tech companies there(like EA Sports).

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM

135 posts, read 439,520 times
Everyone is saying Charlotte's economy is better than Orlando but for us, my husband and I are both out of work in Charlotte. We applied to jobs in Orlando since inlaws live there and we have both heard and have landed jobs there and will be moving there in the next few weeks. I applied for jobs for my husband last week both in Charlotte (cus my kids love it here and dont want to leave) and 2 jobs in Orlando and we havent heard at all from the jobs in Charlotte but he heard from both of the jobs in Orlando!! So for us, we would say the economy is better in Orlando. Also, we can't believe how high the rents are for a place that does not have alot of work. We know numerous couples who are out of work in Charlotte. We are disappointed that its not working out for us but we are excited with the jobs we got in Orlando. I got a job driving a bus in Orlando and my husband is up for a Maintenance Mechanic job both at Universal and Disney. Both of us will be making pretty good money compared to Charlotte. So our vote is for Orlando!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post
Everyone is saying Charlotte's economy is better than Orlando but for us, my husband and I are both out of work in Charlotte. We applied to jobs in Orlando since inlaws live there and we have both heard and have landed jobs there and will be moving there in the next few weeks. I applied for jobs for my husband last week both in Charlotte (cus my kids love it here and dont want to leave) and 2 jobs in Orlando and we havent heard at all from the jobs in Charlotte but he heard from both of the jobs in Orlando!! So for us, we would say the economy is better in Orlando. Also, we can't believe how high the rents are for a place that does not have alot of work. We know numerous couples who are out of work in Charlotte. We are disappointed that its not working out for us but we are excited with the jobs we got in Orlando. I got a job driving a bus in Orlando and my husband is up for a Maintenance Mechanic job both at Universal and Disney. Both of us will be making pretty good money compared to Charlotte. So our vote is for Orlando!
I hope you like your new jobs. If you need advice about what area in Orlando to live in, you can start a thread on the orlando forum or feel free to PM me.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodh View Post

I've had the opposite luck. Except not looking into CLT, we're looking at Asheville. I had more luck with jobs in little Asheville than Orlando.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I've had the opposite luck. Except not looking into CLT, we're looking at Asheville. I had more luck with jobs in little Asheville than Orlando.
I sometimes think its where your meant to be. I love Charlotte and i love Orlando but right now I just think we are meant to live in Orlando. We have been in Charlotte for 3.5 years and my husband had to go back to NJ to work cus of the job situation in Charlotte. Then he finally stepped out on faith and took a job with a smaller company that said they have never laid off and they were getting through the recession better than most and after 2 weeks of my husband being there, they laid off like 30 employees! My husband was so upset, they had to know they were laying off before they hired him? So at least he was able to collect unemployment from NJ and the maximum so he is making more on unemployment than he was working for that small company. Anyway, if things are working out for you in Ashville, I just think that is where you are meant to be!! Its definitely beautiful there!! I also think maybe there are more blue collar jobs in Orlando which we are, so it is working for us. I was a bus driver in Union County and left for a few months and when I went to go back, they could not bring me back cus of job cuts and alot of white collar people taking the jobs cus of the benefits. Which makes me think that if white collar people are taking bus driver jobs then something is wrong!! Anyway, Good Luck in Ashville!!

Norrodh

Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I hope you like your new jobs. If you need advice about what area in Orlando to live in, you can start a thread on the orlando forum or feel free to PM me.
Thanks so much! My inlaws live in Davenport but we are looking more towards Clermont cus we heard the schools are better! I have been posting on the orlando forum and getting alot of info from there. Its just a little scary of all the people writing in about the crime in Orlando. But we have been to my inlaws numerous times and never felt threatened plus I'm originally from Brooklyn so I'm a little street smart than most and wont put myself or my kids in situations that are not good. We live in a small town outside of Charlotte - Waxhaw, NC and we love it but for it being a small town, we have had our share of crime here so we are already prepared. We have had numerous armed robberies here in our local stores in broad daylight!! I just think its because of the economy! I just think its all over the place with this darn economy! I look forward to Orlando, I think we are ready for a change! We are getting a little bored with Charlotte and we love, love the amusement parks so its a good fit for us!

Norrodh

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Good luck, Norrodh.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Stop saying I am sensitive. I am making a point here. Saying I am too sensitive is just a fancy way of telling me to shut up and I am not going to fall for that. If you are so not sensitive, why do you keep posting under me? Why don't you start another thread and leave this one permanently?
More sensitivity on your part. Again, it's not that serious. Nobody's telling you to shut up. Stop spazzing out dude.

Quote:
What OP asked includes shopping, nightliefe, etc, doesn't it? Your intention to make people disregard these aspects just because there is a legitimate reason for the difference is irrelevant, self-centered and not helpful to the original question at all. May I remind you the original question is not about which city is better overall? Actually this kind of questions is now banned I think. So what's your point of saying shopping has nothing to do with which city is better overall? The original question doesn't care and many of us don't care either. We want to know which city has better shopping, nightlife, etc, under such a thread even if they don't automatically make a city better overall.

I have no connection to orlando whatsoever. I am just sick of people here neglecting what the original question is and starting comparing according to their own concerns in EVERY thread, even if the original question is well defined and confined to certain aspects. And the worst thing is they seem proud of that. When some people brought out legitimate comparisons of the aspects actually stated in the question, they try to discredit these comments only because these aspects are not important to THEM. Well if you think aspects in the original question are not important to you, you can always make your own polls comparing aspects you care about, but do NOT contaminate a thread with your false comments in aspects you don't know about. This forum needs some diversity about all aspects of cities.
Reading is fundamental, and apparently you failed to do just that; otherwise you would have realized that there was no one question asked in the original post. There were several different questions and all could have several different answers. Let me post it here to demonstrate to you that the OP was indeed asking several different questions:

Which city is better? Which offers more nightlife, shopping, things to do (for residents) etc? I know Orlando has Disney but I am talking about things for everyday people who live there. How do the economies compare? Where would you rather live?

So, as you can see, anyone could pick any one of those questions and then vote their choice. For instance, for me, I think Charlotte is better. I think Orlando has more nightlife, shopping, things to do, etc. Economically, both are struggling right now but I think Charlotte has a better economic foundation. And I would rather live in Charlotte. So it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be when you actually read what's written and not what you want to read. It's funny that you would say "May I remind you the original question is not about which city is better overall?" and the very first question that the OP asked was "Which city is better?" Once again, reading is quite fundamental.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
I don't care which factor you view as important or what choice you might have. What I am not comfortable with is that you keep discrediting people who discuss about shopping, nightlife, etc, which ARE included in the original question. The ironic thing is, whenenver things like shopping is discussed in a thread, there will always be people like you who jump out and say it is not important, we don't have shopping only because blah blah..., but questions about shopping are still frequently asked. You can't force other people to live like you do. Again, if you don't think one factor is important, stop complaining about it and discuss about whatever you want for other factors, but do not discredit other people's discussion about what they know about.

Your whole base of me being sensitive is I keep posting in this thread, but you do the same too. So stop saying that. It is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
More sensitivity on your part. Again, it's not that serious. Nobody's telling you to shut up. Stop spazzing out dude.

Reading is fundamental, and apparently you failed to do just that; otherwise you would have realized that there was no one question asked in the original post. There were several different questions and all could have several different answers. Let me post it here to demonstrate to you that the OP was indeed asking several different questions:

Which city is better? Which offers more nightlife, shopping, things to do (for residents) etc? I know Orlando has Disney but I am talking about things for everyday people who live there. How do the economies compare? Where would you rather live?

So, as you can see, anyone could pick any one of those questions and then vote their choice. For instance, for me, I think Charlotte is better. I think Orlando has more nightlife, shopping, things to do, etc. Economically, both are struggling right now but I think Charlotte has a better economic foundation. And I would rather live in Charlotte. So it's not quite as simple as you make it out to be when you actually read what's written and not what you want to read. It's funny that you would say "May I remind you the original question is not about which city is better overall?" and the very first question that the OP asked was "Which city is better?" Once again, reading is quite fundamental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City