Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan area do you prefer
Chicago Metropoltan Area 69 65.71%
Philadelphia Metropolitan Area 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

The best part is both of these cities are great. I love Philly my home town and also love Chicago, on the whole Chicogo's downtown is better, but Philly is pretty close (and home to me) but i do think the burbs of Philly are actually a little better. like I said though two of my favorite cities and personally would say both are great places and will leave it at that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:05 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
An interesting battle between two cities I always felt were similar, but I'd have to go with the city with better history, better architecture, better topography (hills), is less pretentious, and in the heart of the greatest urban corridor in the universe!

Last edited by Colts; 03-27-2010 at 02:35 AM..

Old 03-27-2010, 08:28 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
IMO, Philadelphia has more nice, true town suburbs than Chicago does, though Evanston is probably nicer (or at least larger and nicer) than any town suburb in the Philadelphia area.

As for the cities themselves, I think Chicago wins by a relatively small amount. The Windy City I believe has a larger amount of nice areas in the city proper. However, I think Chicago's bad parts probably are worse than Philadelphia's bad parts, even though Philly's rough sections are pretty rough. The big difference here is Chicago has torn down a much higher percentage of its dilapidated development, which gives those areas an urban wilderness feel interspersed with run down buildings. (If you ride the CTA Green Line south of the 35th Street station, you'll see what I mean.) I also think the Philadelphia CBD (i.e. the combination of businesses and residential areas in the downtown area) is nicer than the Chicago's, though I'm excluding the River North area from Chicago CBD, which may not be fair in the comparison. One area where Chicago wins handily is it is kept much cleaner than Philadelphia; I don't think Philadelphia has enough public garbage cans.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Although I've never really been to Chicago, it does seem like a nice city which I have a strong desire to visit someday. Chicago seems to be ahead of the curve in terms of gentrification, although both of these cities have strong roots in blue-collar/industrial economies in which they are making great headway in restructuring. Yet based on the way some people are describing Philadelphia, either they've never ventured off I-95 or they just haven't explored the city extensively in the past 10 years.

I guarantee you that there are far more stable/desirable neighborhoods than many have given it credit for (i.e., not just Center City). Areas in South Philadelphia, West Philadelphia (around Penn and Drexel), and neighborhoods immediately north and east of Center City (Northern Liberties, Brewerytown, etc.) are becoming more stabilized/desirable with each passing year -- very often in the form of rehabbing/reuse of architecturally significant structures.

I understand it will take some time before people not as familiar with Philly can shed this image of dilapidation (particularly because of the worst neighborhoods, which I acknowledge are in a pretty bad state of disrepair); but overall the trend is for the better. Although firm figures will truly tell, the 2009 Census Bureau estimate shows that Philly has actually gained population since 2000 -- the first time in nearly 60 years. That's something that truly indicates that the city has really turned a corner and its revitalization is widespread, rather than limited to a few pockets:

Quote:
For the first time in 59 years, the city of Philadelphia actually increased its population in 2008, according to an official annual estimate made for metropolitan areas. That was the decision by the U.S. Census Bureau, which accepted a challenge to its previous estimate, one that indicated another decline.
Stop the presses Phoenix! Philly gains population. | Plan Philly: Engaging in Urban Dialogue

As for the broader metropolitan area -- the true intent of this thread -- Philadelphia has some of the most historic, well-preserved and desirable suburbs in the U.S. Now, I do say this with a little bit of bias, but in an area where some of the suburbs are nearly as old as the city itself, you're going to find a lot of character. This website has a great overview of many of them:

Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

I'd also argue that since the wealth of Delaware Valley is largely concentrated in the suburbs, the vast majority of suburban areas are highly desirable. I'm not sure if the same could be said for Chicago's suburbs, as a greater proportion of its wealth is concentrated in the city proper.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-27-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
I don't see Delaware Valley being much competition for Chicagoland

Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I like both areas, but I think I'd pick Chicagoland over the Delaware Valley.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Chicagos great. But Philly is so close to NYC anyone who thinks it sucks can be in NY within 2 hrs.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 PM

6 posts, read 5,774 times
I've lived in both cities. Philadelphia has much more character and characters to me. They have a wealth of Art, Culture and History. But, Philadelphia is my choice. Cuz, Philly is soo close to NYC and Jersey and DC. Its much more to me.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 5,774 times
I too side with the greatest urban corridor. .

Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
I pick the Philly metro area even though the poll is already closed. Some of those suburbs in the Philly, especially the Main Line are just too beautiful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City