Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metropolitan area do you prefer
Chicago Metropoltan Area 69 65.71%
Philadelphia Metropolitan Area 36 34.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times

Advertisements

I like Philly very much, but it's no match for Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:17 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
I know we're comparing metro philly vs chicagoland, and not new york, but i think the chicago homers do have a valid point. Post-Guliani new york is not the same place at all as pre-Guiliani New york, and anyone who knew the "old" new york knows what i'm talking about. Its as if NYC sold its soul (and native population, which gives a place its a "soul") for fortune and fame. I know I'm making broad generalizations, because I've been told that the "old" new york still hangs on in some of the outer boroughs, but Manhatten for all intents and purposes has been disneyfied.

I think chicago is currently at that same tipping point that drastically changed NYC 20+ yrs ago. Deep down chicago's working class knows this, and is fighting tooth and nail to prevent it, but market forces may prove too be powerfull for chicago natives to overcome.

Philly doesn't have this problem of being a victim of its own success because its city proper is still very much a mess.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post

I think chicago is currently at that same tipping point that drastically changed NYC 20+ yrs ago. Deep down chicago's working class knows this, and is fighting tooth and nail to prevent it, but market forces may prove too be powerfull for chicago natives to overcome.

Philly doesn't have this problem of being a victim of its own success because its city proper is still very much a mess.
Laying it on a little thick killa?

Lets be honest and as much as this may pain you the reality is that Philadelphia is closer to Chicago in overall scope than Chicago is to NYC.

The area Chicago clearly outclasses Philly is downtown, not so much in quality rather quantity.

As far as the overall plusses and minuses of the two cities? Look up the socio economic stats and you will see Chicago is pretty much in the same boat as Philly in crime, poverty, education etc..Quite frankly neither are in that great of condition. Chicago is doing slightly better than Philly but not nearly the extent you are trying to imply.

To offset Chicagos city proper advantage over Philly, suburban Philadelphia imo has a clear advantage.

Location? Can anyone in good conscience argue this?

In a 90 minute drive from Philly you can be in the Atlantic Ocean,Lehigh Valley,Pocono Mts, NYC,Amish Country,Bal-DC

How about topographical matchup?

Chicago has a nice lake, some cornfields. Nice pleasant setting but nothing really to write home about.

Philadlephia? 10 miles N+W of downtown you get into the magnificient piedmont of rolling hills,valleys,rivers,streams,rock formations etc etc. Head South + East and you hit the relaxing beaches of Delaware and the South Jersey shore.

You people are sleeping on the Philadlephia region.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Both cities are quite impressive ... however, I personally prefer the more scenic setting and the historical aspects of Philadelphia.
I spent time in lovely "Rittenhouse Square" ... very fond memories of "Philly"

Old 03-20-2010, 06:24 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Laying it on a little thick killa?

Lets be honest and as much as this may pain you the reality is that Philadelphia is closer to Chicago in overall scope than Chicago is to NYC.

The area Chicago clearly outclasses Philly is downtown, not so much in quality rather quantity.

As far as the overall plusses and minuses of the two cities? Look up the socio economic stats and you will see Chicago is pretty much in the same boat as Philly in crime, poverty, education etc..Quite frankly neither are in that great of condition. Chicago is doing slightly better than Philly but not nearly the extent you are trying to imply.

To offset Chicagos city proper advantage over Philly, suburban Philadelphia imo has a clear advantage.

Location? Can anyone in good conscience argue this?

In a 90 minute drive from Philly you can be in the Atlantic Ocean,Lehigh Valley,Pocono Mts, NYC,Amish Country,Bal-DC

How about topographical matchup?

Chicago has a nice lake, some cornfields. Nice pleasant setting but nothing really to write home about.

Philadlephia? 10 miles N+W of downtown you get into the magnificient piedmont of rolling hills,valleys,rivers,streams,rock formations etc etc. Head South + East and you hit the relaxing beaches of Delaware and the South Jersey shore.

You people are sleeping on the Philadlephia region.

I wasnt knockin philly. I was jus being honest. Chicago is twice the size of philly and about three times as influential in modern times. Its all about location. Chicagoland (not the city) is only gonna get much bigger because it has no realregional competition to stunt its growth. Philly metro however is boxed in, and is turning into a satellite city for priced out NY'ers. I know your gonna raise hell but I'm just being honest. If you look at my previous post, we agree that philly easily has a better metro region in which to live. I'm new to these boards and apparently so is objectivity.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 03-20-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
I'll second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Philly metro however is boxed in, and is turning into a satellite city for priced out NY'ers.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Philly has a lot of good things going for it. But, I have to go with Chicago on this one.

Philly-
1) location (near NYC, DC and ocean)
2) milder winters
3) prefer NE architecture (Old City/Rittenhouse) to Midwest feel

Chicago-
1) more diverse/international population
2) neighborhoods in better shape/more neighborhood amenities
3) more extensive subway system
4) beaches right in the city
5) world class economic center
6) more to see and do
7) city appears in better shape/not as many run down areas
8) most amenities are in the city, not suburbs

At the end of the day, Chicago has significantly more going on and is in better shape.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
1) location (near NYC, DC and ocean)
yeah, but that's why the metro area should win

Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
yeah, but that's why the metro area should win
That's an argument they were making for Philadelphia.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
it's on the border with NJ, which in itself is enough reason to pick Chicago
Says the man from Lexington, KY/Detroit, MI...................... Stop it!
On the 'allowed to make jokes about other places' totem pole, you should really have some sense of reality.
No one has jokes about Lexington because, well, who the hell as ever been there? Detroit? Too easy.
It never ceases to amaze me how people delude themselves.
NJ has some of the most expensive burbs in the nation. One of the most well educated populations. One of the highest average incomes.
Kentucky & Detroit on the other hand, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City