Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
I'll put another vote for San Diego when considering the opinions of people that aren't from there. Ask a San Diegan, and they'll tell you they live in the best place on earth (I don't quite agree... I like it and all, but you should hear some residents... talk about pride), but ask outsiders, and they sort of forget it's there. Even to some Californians, it tends to remain forgotten.

I'd have to agree on that San Diego mentality. I too have gotten that same "Texas" style vibe from some San Diegans. They naively assume that everyone adores San Diego, and are genuinely surprised and deeply insulted when they interact with someone who doesn't share the same opinion. They have the kind of unintentional, cheerful smug that can only come from someone who earnestly believes that not only do they live in the best city in the U.S., but that every place else is inherently inferior.

But perhaps I am stereotyping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,956 times
I agree that Pittsburgh is very overlooked - everyone expects it to still be a town filled with steel mills, and instead it's got a spectacular skyline and walkable neighborhoods.

I'd have to go with Milwaukee, though. It always pales in comparison to Chicago, but it's similar - walkable downtown, nice neighborhoods, friendly, and a great strolling path along the river and Lake Michigan.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
MattDen:
Quote:
Currently, I would say Pittsburgh is the most under-rated city in the country in my opinion. Its just an incredible masterpiece of a city its got some blighted areas but overall its got so many amenities for a city of its size. The topography is amazing as is the culture, its got alot of nice architecture and its got alot of amazing, very very unique neighborhoods its a true neighborhood city.
The reason Pittsburgh has all these amentities "for a city of its size" is because it used to be almost 3X as large as it now is. It now gets classified as a medium-sized city which moves its arts stuff up very high in the rankings, for example. I wouldn't call it under-rated; the economy is mediocre at best, and even the suburbs are shrinking. Weather can be gawd-awful (though very nice at present). Hot, muggy days; cloudy; dreary much of the year. Beautiful setting, though and gorgeous in the fall.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 AM

82 posts, read 639,266 times
Default Alot...

Baltimore- My Birth City, has alot more than what people thinks and is not as bad as people think.

Pittsburgh- Not the Poluted Crime filled dump most think it is.

Louisville- Almost Completely overlooked alot and has alot to offer.

Anchorage- Overlooked due to it's remoteness.

Honolulu- Overlooked due to remoteness, yet one of the most beautiful cities i have been to.

Miami- Miami is not is bad as it is usually portrayed.

LA- Same as Miami.

Albuquerque, Charleston (SC), Fargo, Billings- just forgotten

Detroit- Same as Miami and LA

Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 AM

332 posts, read 448,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I'd have to agree on that San Diego mentality. I too have gotten that same "Texas" style vibe from some San Diegans. They naively assume that everyone adores San Diego, and are genuinely surprised and deeply insulted when they interact with someone who doesn't share the same opinion. They have the kind of unintentional, cheerful smug that can only come from someone who earnestly believes that not only do they live in the best city in the U.S., but that every place else is inherently inferior.

and not only does Texas act like this,plenty of other cities people have the same reaction as well! and your all just jealous because Texas is the best place ever!=X

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post

They will get over it, give them time. Floridians used to have this same mentality until the past decade or so. When I was growing up there, it was inconceivable to the people there that anyone could find any fault with their "paradise". They did such a good job that they convinced almost the entire populace of the Northeast! Relatives of mine who had never even been there used to tell me how "lucky" I was to live in such a place as Florida! Now go to the Florida site here and see all the threads about what an awful place they now believe their state has become!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:41 AM

153 posts, read 769,376 times
Well, portions of Florida are still very nice. Miami is definitely an exception...we can affirmatively say that is overrated.

One city that is underrated is Jacksonville. The city has plenty of things to do, is located near the ocean, has a beautiful skyline and river scenery, and has some of the friendliest people I've ever met!

Somebody else mentioned my hometown of Charleston as underrated, and indeed it is. Everybody thinks of Chas as a quaint, historic village, but it actually is a booming city with a metro area of over 600,000 people. It also stands to gain even more people through mega-revitalization efforts of neglected sections of the city.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 AM

150 posts, read 688,904 times
Energy Capital of the World, Largest Medical Center in the World, One of the largest ports in the World, one of the top 10 tallest skyline in the world, 4th largest city in US, one of the fastest growing metros in the US, second only to New York City in Fortune 500 companies, after LA and NYC highest number of foreign consulates (90) in US, home of NASA, 46th largest metro in the world: HOUSTON IS UNDERRATED!!!!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:35 PM

332 posts, read 448,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
Energy Capital of the World, Largest Medical Center in the World, One of the largest ports in the World, one of the top 10 tallest skyline in the world, 4th largest city in US, one of the fastest growing metros in the US, second only to New York City in Fortune 500 companies, after LA and NYC highest number of foreign consulates (90) in US, home of NASA, 46th largest metro in the world: HOUSTON IS UNDERRATED!!!!
I feel the more bigger and better Houston grows, the more people will hate it because it seems no one wants it to suceed and actually pass Chicago. Once is does pass Chicago people are going to really hate Houston

Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM

150 posts, read 688,904 times
You just cant mess with Texas cities period. Houston and DFW are future Alpha World Cities, it doesnt matter if your for it or against it, its gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City