Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Little Italy / Italian Neighborhood in US
The North End: Boston 57 26.03%
Little Italy: New York 47 21.46%
Little Italy: Chicago 12 5.48%
South Philly: Philadelphia 32 14.61%
Federal Hill: Providence 7 3.20%
Little Italy: Baltimore 4 1.83%
The Hill: St. Louis 18 8.22%
Little Italy: Cleveland 17 7.76%
North Beach: San Francisco 21 9.59%
Little Italy: Wilmington, DE 4 1.83%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Trento NJ also has a very authentic Italian neighborhood and some very good food - Chambersburg
Glad to see a positive, great response about Trenton. I thought Trenton will never catch a break.
I lived in Chambersburg during my middle school years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Coming from a Clevelander who has lived many years in Cleveland's Little Italy, Boston's North End takes the cake for me. I have heard there are some very authenitic areas remaining in Bronx and Brooklyn and New Jersey, but I've only been to Manhattan's Little Italy, which is skrinking everyday and turning into Chinatown.

BUT, if you guys ever find yourself in CLEVELAND, definitely check out the neighborhood!

LITTLE ITALY CLEVELAND - Little Italy an urban neighborhood

I also would put San Deigo in my top 5 -- Highly underrated.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
My wife is from Cleveland and they go to Little Italy all the time (from Shaker Hts). There is a restaurant there that they say is the best Italian they've ever had.....do you know which one I may be referring to? Regardless, from what I saw in Cleveland that Little Italy actually LOOKED like a neighborhood, and not a district.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
My wife is from Cleveland and they go to Little Italy all the time (from Shaker Hts). There is a restaurant there that they say is the best Italian they've ever had.....do you know which one I may be referring to? Regardless, from what I saw in Cleveland that Little Italy actually LOOKED like a neighborhood, and not a district.
The top ones that come to mind are:

Etna
Il Bacio
Valerio's
Baricelli Inn

But others are loyal to:

La Dolce Vita
Gusto
Angelo's Nido Italia
Guarino's
Michaelangelo's

Any of those sound like the name??

SIDE NOTE: I found this on Askmen.com : www.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-little-italies.html

Last edited by costello_musicman; 04-28-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Etna does.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Nutley, NJ is nearly 45% Italian. (A loot of Sicilians)
I think a lot of the locals there originated from Newark. Newark used to have one of the largest Little Italy's in the nation. The riots messed all of that up unfortunately.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Here's Wiki's list of Little Italy's around the world.

Little Italy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It lists some that I may have forgotten on the poll like New Haven, The Bronx, and Brookylyn. It also list some that don't really exist anymore like Vancouver. I hear Toronto has a big Little Italy. I remember having a fabulous Italian dinner & wine in Montreal's Litttle Italy and there some street festivities going on. I didn't know San Diego had one (nor did wiki) as mentioned by one poster. What part of town is that in?

I've actually been to most of the ones on this list, I like them all. Federal Hill is one of my favorites and is one of the best reasons to visit Providence, RI. Baltimore's is tucked away behind the Inner Harbor and feels like an old world neighborhood, it's small but pretty cool. The Hill in St. Louis caught me by surprise, like Cleveland felt more like a genuine Italian neighborhood and not a district like the North End or Manhattan's Little Italy. Manhattan has the... http://www.italianamericanmuseum.org/.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM

^^I don't really know San Diego city too well, but here's their neighborhood website. It was were the all the italian fisherman lived if I remember correctly:

www.littleitalysd.com/splash/index.asp

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The North End, followed by North Beach for me.
Precisely.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Was there this morning and still enjoying; especially as the Phils have just re-taken the lead

Hey KidPhilly, do you know this chicken place I'm thinking of.

It's downtown Philly, by 3rd and Ash St.? maybe? Right by the convention center.

It looks kind of sketchy. But it's funny because it was amazing food and the menu had options of like #1- #70 .

Just wondering if you know it.

Back to topic, the Italian neighborhood in Philly was sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City