Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,635 times

Advertisements

The Great Lakes are inland seas. Seas have coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I can respect that; I had just always known seas as a large body of water usually mostly surrounded by land ,but connects to the ocean. Kinda like a gulf.
A gulf is a really big bay, not a sea.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Yeah, because thats usually what makes a coast. It was just a question by the way. When people think of coasts they usually think of beaches.
Biga** beaches?
lake-michigan-dunes
silver-lake-dunes-state-park-michigan
Lake_Michigan

Biga** waves
icy_surfer (http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/blog/icy_surfer_superior.jpg - broken link)
surfriderlakemichigan
lighthouse

Biga** boats
worldofstock.com freighter
theunitedwayblog saginawcruise
Mvc-601
edwardlryerson270704-1-082

Old 06-16-2010, 11:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
A gulf is a really big bay, not a sea.
Sometimes.

I really don't know how they come up with what is considered a sea and what is just a bay or Gulf. The Arabian Sea is a perfect example, right next to the Bay of Bengal. Ones a bay the other a sea.

Then you have the ones that don't look like they are any different than the ocean that surrounds them, like the Coral Sea, or the Tasman Sea.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Those are the smaller ones. You included a photo of the Ryerson, which is one of my favorite boats on the lakes. Nice lines for a freighter.

Here are a couple of the big boats.

Paul R Tregurtha 1013' in length; 68,000 long tons carrying capacity.

Edwin H Gott. 1004' long; 74,100 long tons capacity.

These images are from boatnerd.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Does the Gulf have this?
Is this going to turn into a picture war now?
On the Gulf

Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 PM

307 posts, read 802,440 times
So if calling the Great Lakes "lakes" (which is what they are) is supposedly trying to diminish them, can we all agree that calling them "seas" is trying to overhype them? Your lakes look awesome, and I'd love to visit them eventually. Until then, I'm stuck down here on the Gulf COAST. I've lived in the Midwest all my life until the past month, and neither myself nor anybody I know has ever referred to the Great Lakes as anything other than lakes, nor have we referred to their shoreline as a coast.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:53 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
Haven't put much thought into it, but since I'm technically a Texan... I'll go with the Gulf Coast.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Coast vs. shore

So going to the Jersey shore is incorrect? (Does MTV know this?)
And the California Shore and Beach Preservation Society?
Offshore fishing in Florida? Cape Canaveral National Seashore?
Offshore drilling in the Gulf should be called offcoast drilling?

According to nationalatlas.gov both terms mean the same thing, only differing in degree.
Coastline – The general outline of the seacoast
Shoreline – A detailed outline of the seacoast

Again, it seems that it is impossible to find one clear cut answer, there seem to be many definitions of seas and lakes. I could spend all day finding definitions to support both sides of the argument. Who's to say which one is correct?

Landforms Glossary - EnchantedLearning.com
A sea is a large body of salty water that is often connected to an ocean. A sea may be partly or completely surrounded by land.
and

A lake is a large body of water surrounded by land on all sides. Really huge lakes are often called seas.~

sea: Definition from Answers.com
  1. A tract of water within an ocean.
  2. A relatively large body of salt water completely or partially enclosed by land.
  3. A relatively large landlocked body of fresh water.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:52 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
So if calling the Great Lakes "lakes" (which is what they are) is supposedly trying to diminish them, can we all agree that calling them "seas" is trying to overhype them? Your lakes look awesome, and I'd love to visit them eventually. Until then, I'm stuck down here on the Gulf COAST. I've lived in the Midwest all my life until the past month, and neither myself nor anybody I know has ever referred to the Great Lakes as anything other than lakes, nor have we referred to their shoreline as a coast.
They're lakes AND seas. I've lived in the Great Lakes region for all but several years of my life, and I have heard it called a "Coast". Ever heard of the "North Coast"? look it up on google maps, there's hundreds of different companies and business, the majority in the Northern Ohio area, that have "North Coast" in their name.

Coast and shore pretty much mean the same thing and are interchangeable. You can look at nothing but reliable and legit sites for definitions and get different answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Coast vs. shore

So going to the Jersey shore is incorrect? (Does MTV know this?)
And the California Shore and Beach Preservation Society?
Offshore fishing in Florida? Cape Canaveral National Seashore?
Offshore drilling in the Gulf should be called offcoast drilling?

According to nationalatlas.gov both terms mean the same thing, only differing in degree.
Coastline – The general outline of the seacoast
Shoreline – A detailed outline of the seacoast

Again, it seems that it is impossible to find one clear cut answer, there seem to be many definitions of seas and lakes. I could spend all day finding definitions to support both sides of the argument. Who's to say which one is correct?

Landforms Glossary - EnchantedLearning.com
A sea is a large body of salty water that is often connected to an ocean. A sea may be partly or completely surrounded by land.
and

A lake is a large body of water surrounded by land on all sides. Really huge lakes are often called seas.~

sea: Definition from Answers.com
  1. A tract of water within an ocean.
  2. A relatively large body of salt water completely or partially enclosed by land.
  3. A relatively large landlocked body of fresh water.

Exactly. This is what the gulf Coast people don't seem to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City