Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Interesting. White people do get meal well-done, though. It's like in Pulp Fiction when the two options were "Burnt to a Crisp" and "Bloody as Hell." I know people from both camps (and quite a few people in the Medium camp--which is where I used to be). My mom, for example, will not eat anything rarer than Medium. My friend's dad, on the other hand, orders his meat, "So rare you can hear it moo." I think there's a belief among many White people that rare is the way you're supposed to eat it--that it's more sophisticated--because that's the way they eat it in Europe. But when I was a kid at backyard cookouts, well-done was more popular than rare/medium rare (medium was the most popular, though).

I have a Dominican friend with a Black dad who orders tuna black-and-blue and her steak rare. She's a New Yorker, though, so the attitude might be different.

Edit: My brother used to freak out about blood. He still does a bit, but he's more tolerant for steak.
Edit2: Ethiopian food is quite full of raw meat. Is this just an African American thing?
Was that with the adults wanting burgers like that? Or when you were a kid. As a kid I liked my burgers plain, cooked a lot, and with nothing on them. Now I like them medium rare and get steaks rare-medium rare...
In Europe they eat a lot of it raw, both beef and pork, not just rare. And rare steak in France was basically a steak cooked in butter for 20 seconds on both sides. Not because I have been in a kitchen, but I've lived with someone from France and that is how they cooked it and said was typical.

I can comment on Florida...
As far as whiting and catfish, I know some white people who ate them, but many consider them throw back fish. And never were actually trying to catch them. Where as I remember black people that were trying to catch catfish. Catfish often have a muddy/swampy taste to them often, esp they take awhile to clean them out. Whiting are kind of mushy. Though if you catch them fresh they are pretty good. Maybe it's similar to the preference for dark meat chicken that I've heard? Or even wider eating of gizzards, chitterlings, etc. Guess if you fry them this takes a lot of them out though. They are not good to bake/blacken/grill though...and often have that layer of skin attached.
Usually what we kept to eat was bass, bluegill (bream), crappies. Salt water usually mackerel, speckled trout, amberjack, grouper, red snapper, redfish.

Last edited by grapico; 02-15-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
I'm black and like my steaks medium-rare. Just an FYI...

Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Was that with the adults wanting burgers like that? Or when you were a kid. As a kid I liked my burgers plain, cooked a lot, and with nothing on them. Now I like them medium rare and get steaks rare-medium rare...
Adults. Kids weren't asked how they liked their burgers. It was just given to them medium. I'm going to try to get my kids to eat meat that's less cooked, because that's how I like it now, but it took me a long time to get over the sight of blood. I think squeamishness once learned is harder to unlearn.

Quote:
In Europe they eat a lot of it raw, both beef and pork, not just rare. And rare steak in France was basically a steak cooked in butter for 20 seconds on both sides. Not because I have been in a kitchen, but I've lived with someone from France and that is how they cooked it and said was typical.
You should be able to ask for a steak "black and blue" in America, which is charred on the outside, rare or raw on the inside (possibly even cold). Not every restaurant will serve it, but most steak houses will. (Try it with tuna, if you're nervous.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd be even more curious to know why black people prefer their steaks and burgers well done whereas others prefer theirs rare to medium rare.
Us Asians usually like our steaks + burgers medium, medium well, or (for non-assimilated Asians, for some odd reason) well done. Never rare or medium rare. Simply has to do with genetics and your taste buds, I guess.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Us Asians usually like our steaks + burgers medium, medium well, or (for non-assimilated Asians, for some odd reason) well done. Never rare or medium rare. Simply has to do with genetics and your taste buds, I guess.
It's not a hard and fast rule or anything. It's just one of those things you only have anecdotal evidence for that's somewhat confirmed through other stories/threads found on the Web. It's kinda like wondering why people tend to pick their noses while driving. I can't find any definitive study on the issue, but I find it funny that I notice it along with several other people.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not a hard and fast rule or anything. It's just one of those things you only have anecdotal evidence for that's somewhat confirmed through other stories/threads found on the Web. It's kinda like wondering why people tend to pick their noses while driving. I can't find any definitive study on the issue, but I find it funny that I notice it along with several other people.
Yeah, I hadn't really paid much attention to it either, but ever since it was mentioned, I do think that it's quite true. x)

Now that I think about it, taste buds may have been influenced by climate or the like. Ethnic groups who live closer to the equator usually seem to like more cooked foods than people from the Nordic countries.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Someone should also get to the bottom of why black people run when other people around them start running.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Adults. Kids weren't asked how they liked their burgers. It was just given to them medium. I'm going to try to get my kids to eat meat that's less cooked, because that's how I like it now, but it took me a long time to get over the sight of blood. I think squeamishness once learned is harder to unlearn.

You should be able to ask for a steak "black and blue" in America, which is charred on the outside, rare or raw on the inside (possibly even cold). Not every restaurant will serve it, but most steak houses will. (Try it with tuna, if you're nervous.
Yeah the black and blue you describe is basically how my friend was cooking it, quite different than rare. She basically turned the flame up as high as possible, put some butter in, then seared the crap out of it real quick.

I'm not nervous and I love ahi tuna done like that, I've eaten tartar as well as raw beef sashimi, I like my steaks a bit more cooked though, and hot. It would depend on the restaurant how I ordered the steak, as I can just get it rare then let it sit for awhile, where as medium rare if it's overcooked, well, you can't go back.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Interesting. White people do get meal well-done, though. It's like in Pulp Fiction when the two options were "Burnt to a Crisp" and "Bloody as Hell." I know people from both camps (and quite a few people in the Medium camp--which is where I used to be). My mom, for example, will not eat anything rarer than Medium. My friend's dad, on the other hand, orders his meat, "So rare you can hear it moo." I think there's a belief among many White people that rare is the way you're supposed to eat it--that it's more sophisticated--because that's the way they eat it in Europe. But when I was a kid at backyard cookouts, well-done was more popular than rare/medium rare (medium was the most popular, though).

I have a Dominican friend with a Black dad who orders tuna black-and-blue and her steak rare. She's a New Yorker, though, so the attitude might be different.

Edit: My brother used to freak out about blood. He still does a bit, but he's more tolerant for steak.
Edit2: Ethiopian food is quite full of raw meat. Is this just an African American thing?
Let's not oversimplify this. I like sushi and I've eaten raw horse meat, Ethiopian cuisine. The difference between that and a singed on both sides steak is BLOOD. The European/ European American likes to consume blood. Be it blood sausage, blood pudding, etc. NOT ALL. Some whites say, "I want the cow to scream out in pain when I stab it with my knife and fork!" IIRC, Michael Bradley writes about this preference for bloody raw meat in his book The Iceman Inheritance.

I've only eaten the raw horse meat once. However, if I saw a miniscule amount of blood, I would have immediately been PISSED! Never have I consumed raw seafood with any trace of discernible blood. Nor would I.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I went to a steakhouse with my (Asian) girlfriend and her family. Her brother and I both ordered steaks medium rare. His steak was a thicker cut than mine, so it came out bleeding. That freaked everyone out (except me). Her parents suggested drinking lots of alcohol to kill the bacteria. So, I think there is some credence to that idea, but there are definitely exceptions (David Chang of Momofuku comes to mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Let's not oversimplify this. I like sushi and I've eaten raw horse meat, Ethiopian cuisine. The difference between that and a singed on both sides steak is BLOOD. The European/ European American likes to consume blood. Be it blood sausage, blood pudding, etc. NOT ALL. Some whites say, "I want the cow to scream out in pain when I stab it with my knife and fork!" IIRC, Michael Bradley writes about this preference for bloody raw meat in his book The Iceman Inheritance.

I've only eaten the raw horse meat once. However, if I saw a miniscule amount of blood, I would have immediately been PISSED! Never have I consumed raw seafood with any trace of discernible blood. Nor would I.
Asians do eat blood sausage (China and Korea; not Japan), so cooked blood is not purely a European thing. Also, you shouldn't lump most Americans in with Europe. Most Americans I know are revolted by the idea of blood sausage (I can actually count on one hand the amount of friends I know who eat it and they're all Hispanic).

The truth is that you're painting White Americans with too broad of a brush. Sure, a lot of White people like steak rare, but roughly an equal number like it well-done and the majority actually going with medium. Both rare steak and well-done steak were top three in the most commonly responded answers for "Manly food." It may be an uncommon occurrence for Black people to have steak rare, but it's not so odd to see a White person have a steak well-done (although, it's becoming stigmatized).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City