Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Plus traffic in DC is worst than Chicago.
That is pretty debatable, I find them to be pretty similar. In terms of pace of life, I have not noticed a difference between the two, and I am very familiar with both. outside of of NYC, I have not noticed a difference in pace between Chicago and the other Northeast Cities and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
I just visited Chicago for the first time last month while living within an hour of DC all my life. I'll have to say that Chicago feels more complete than DC does. As much as I like the Smithsonian, Chicago's museums are just as good, if not better than DC in terms of public viewing, even without the free admission. The Science Museum and Planetatrium I enjoyed more than the Air & Space museum; the zoo has the Lincoln Park location, Chicago's Institute of Art is just as good as the National Gallery of Art, and the Symphony Orchestra/Theater offerings are better in quality. And even though many think of Chicago as mostly a bungalow city, if you're within about four miles of the Loop (up to eight if you're near the Lake), it feels just as urban as Ward 1/Georgetown does in terms of housing, street life, and I enjoyed the variety of housing, from the many small apartment buildings, the occasional high-rise, duplexes, and even some row houses. DC's architecture is good in spots, especially in NW away from the CBD, and has some nice diverse neighborhoods such as Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and Capitol Hill, but Chicago has triple the number of "cool" neighborhoods.

Transportation is a draw, though I'd give the edge to Chicago since I felt the CTA covers more ground, plus its easier to navigate around with the grid and State/Madison origin system.

Sports: Chicago has much more passionate fans. I saw many "Go Blackhawks" signs/banners when I was there during the Stanley Cup Finals, and even when the Cubs are in last place, Wrigley Field remains lively more so than if a Florida team was in first place and the Nationals currently in second place. Even as I kid I thought of the Bullets (now Wizards) as a joke compared to the Bulls. The closest draw may be in the NFL, with both the Bears and Redskins having above-average fandom in the league.

DC's best asset is location, being a day's drive from many important cities and destinations, including Chicago. Where else can you get to in 12 hours or less to Boston, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charleston SC, Savannah, Nashville, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Niagara/Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus? Not to mention the beaches and mountains just a couple hours away?

Dining is a toss-up. DC has better seafood and southern/soul food, while Chicago has better pizza, BBQ, Beef/Steak, and certain ethnic foods. For shopping, DC's suburbs are better than Chicago, which has the better city shopping.

I like both cities about equally, but give the slight edge to Chicago. I'd take their cold winters (and more frequent White Christmases) over DC's muggy summers.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I just visited Chicago for the first time last month while living within an hour of DC all my life. I'll have to say that Chicago feels more complete than DC does. As much as I like the Smithsonian, Chicago's museums are just as good, if not better than DC in terms of public viewing, even without the free admission. The Science Museum and Planetatrium I enjoyed more than the Air & Space museum; the zoo has the Lincoln Park location, Chicago's Institute of Art is just as good as the National Gallery of Art, and the Symphony Orchestra/Theater offerings are better in quality. And even though many think of Chicago as mostly a bungalow city, if you're within about four miles of the Loop (up to eight if you're near the Lake), it feels just as urban as Ward 1/Georgetown does in terms of housing, street life, and I enjoyed the variety of housing, from the many small apartment buildings, the occasional high-rise, duplexes, and even some row houses. DC's architecture is good in spots, especially in NW away from the CBD, and has some nice diverse neighborhoods such as Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, and Capitol Hill, but Chicago has triple the number of "cool" neighborhoods.

Transportation is a draw, though I'd give the edge to Chicago since I felt the CTA covers more ground, plus its easier to navigate around with the grid and State/Madison origin system.

Sports: Chicago has much more passionate fans. I saw many "Go Blackhawks" signs/banners when I was there during the Stanley Cup Finals, and even when the Cubs are in last place, Wrigley Field remains lively more so than if a Florida team was in first place and the Nationals currently in second place. Even as I kid I thought of the Bullets (now Wizards) as a joke compared to the Bulls. The closest draw may be in the NFL, with both the Bears and Redskins having above-average fandom in the league.

DC's best asset is location, being a day's drive from many important cities and destinations, including Chicago. Where else can you get to in 12 hours or less to Boston, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charleston SC, Savannah, Nashville, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Niagara/Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus? Not to mention the beaches and mountains just a couple hours away?

Dining is a toss-up. DC has better seafood and southern/soul food, while Chicago has better pizza, BBQ, Beef/Steak, and certain ethnic foods. For shopping, DC's suburbs are better than Chicago, which has the better city shopping.

I like both cities about equally, but give the slight edge to Chicago. I'd take their cold winters (and more frequent White Christmases) over DC's muggy summers.

Wow...you got all that from a visit to Chicago. How long was your visit in Chicago? 6 months?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Dining is a toss-up. DC has better seafood and southern/soul food, while Chicago has better pizza, BBQ, Beef/Steak, and certain ethnic foods.
Chicago has better soul food than DC, too.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Plus traffic in DC is worst than Chicago.
Again, only in your mind. I actually don't think it's close, and I'm starting to wonder if you've ever been to Chicago.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:

Good analysis. I would disagree on dining; Chicago is top 3 in the US and has a better diverse dining options. DC has some bright spots though, especially if you move out to towards chesapeake bay.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
[quote=DC's Finest;30390190....Chicago is definitely not slow by any stretch but it doesn't have that east coast mentality.[/QUOTE]

Oh Jeezus, isn't there some medicine for this unique East Coast ailment???? Damn right Chicago is lacking in "that east coast mentality". Thank God!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Again, only in your mind. I actually don't think it's close, and I'm starting to wonder if you've ever been to Chicago.
Plenty of times! My ex girlfriend is from there as well as my roommate from college.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Chicago has better soul food than DC, too.
I agree! DC does better Ethiopian and seafood but Chicago does everything else better. Me and my ex use to argue over who created mambo sauce. They have fake mambo sauce at Harold's.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
There are like 5000 traffic studies on the Internet that prove you wrong! Click on your Google machine and take a look at cities with the worst traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City