Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Hmm... I've asked my Chicago friends about jaywalking and they've said they don't do it, at least not downtown. One Chicago friend said she learned to jaywalk in DC. It's possible my friends are too suburban?

That said, Chicagoans aren't as frustrating to walk with as Californians.
I don't think jaywalking is a cultural or geographic thing. I think it's largely an individual thing (like speeding). Besides, it's hard to be on every corner and assess how many people jaywalk and how often it occurs, particularly if you've never lived or worked in the city in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You made a few subtle hints that DC was less of a northeast city and southern/mid atlantic whatever that means. In fact, DC is an anchor on the Northeast corridor. The city's lifestyle and attitude is east coast all day long. I gave you a few characteristics of why it is more fast paced than Chicago. Jaywalking is an east coast characteristic. People in the Midwest and West coast don't jaywalk by the masses like you see on the east coast. It's the norm in places like Philly and NYC. You may see a few people jaywalk in Utah but it's not a part of the culture. If you go into the Chicago forum, people were complaining about street food. "Where do they wash their hands or use the bathroom?" LOL. On the east coast, street food is the norm. LA is a huge city and has subways like east coast cities but the culture is different. They had an honor system in place where there were no fare gates. They gave riders the benefit of doubt that they purchased a ticket to ride. Sometimes police would stop and ask to see your ticket. This is unthinkable on the east coast. These are the differences that I keep harping on.
You make it seem like DC is this city where everyone is "Go! Go! Go!" and "Outta my way!" as they scarf down a half smoke with mambo sauce on their way to their 7:00am-3:00pm job at the Department of the Interior (flex schedule). If by "fast paced" you mean people walking fast and pushing people with a cell phone in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, then I'd say no, DC is not "fast paced" by that definition. JFK called it a city of "southern efficiency" for a reason.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
you make it seem like dc is this city where everyone is "go! Go! Go!" and "outta my way!" as they scarf down a half smoke with mambo sauce on their way to their 7:00am-3:00pm job at the department of the interior (flex schedule). If by "fast paced" you mean people walking fast and pushing people with a cell phone in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, then i'd say no, dc is not "fast paced" by that definition. Jfk called it a city of "southern efficiency" for a reason.
jfk =yarn!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
LA is a huge city and has subways like east coast cities but the culture is different. They had an honor system in place where there were no fare gates. They gave riders the benefit of doubt that they purchased a ticket to ride. Sometimes police would stop and ask to see your ticket. This is unthinkable on the east coast. These are the differences that I keep harping on.
Funny thing about this. I remembered this comment. I'm currently visiting Baltimore for the artscape festival. The "honor system" is exactly how their light rail works. You buy a ticket before you board and sometimes the transit cop/worker checks it.

But maybe Baltimore isn't part of the NE, just like DC isn't...(opening up a can of worms).

Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM

30 posts, read 35,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
LMAO small town D.C. is faster paced than a bustling epicenter like Chicago?

I like D.C., it's one of the best tiny towns in the world but come on now.

Little city because the population size is deceiving. Given that DC has 10% of the land area of London and has no power to annex, you have to look at the metro population as a whole. As a whole, there's about 6 million people here, which does not include Baltimore's figures. The density of DC is also just a little less than London, so I'm not sure what your measuring stick for "little" is. Little compared to Hong Kong or NYC? Yes, but certainly not little when compared to London.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Funny thing about this. I remembered this comment. I'm currently visiting Baltimore for the artscape festival. The "honor system" is exactly how their light rail works. You buy a ticket before you board and sometimes the transit cop/worker checks it.

But maybe Baltimore isn't part of the NE, just like DC isn't...(opening up a can of worms).
NJ transit also has this on their light rail lines.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I'm gonna say DC to live and Chicago for vacation. As a larger city, Chicago just has more to do. But DC has better weather and is in a great location, plus, closer to the ocean. I also know DC has a lot of crime, but I think it's better than Chicago, not sure though. Chicago definitely has the advantage in walkability and public transit compared to the sprawled DC suburbs in Maryland, WV and Virginia, maybe even better than DC proper.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post

Lucky you. I've gotten checked multiple times when I've taken the Lightrail. The MTA Police do their job I can say.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
A city of 600k+ ppl like D.C is more fast paced than Chicago, one of the top financial centers of the world?

When did DC's Finest become a comedian?

Is this the same gentleman who claimed Georgetown University is more world famous then U.of Chicago? The last time I checked, G.U ranked #174 and UoChicago was somewhere in the top 10 according to World University rankings.

I love Chicago & D.C, but I think Chicago is more exciting and interesting than D.C. Indeed, I believe Chicago arguably has some of the coolest neighborhoods in the country.

Last edited by downtown1; 07-21-2013 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-21-2013, 06:03 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Diogenes_ View Post
Little city because the population size is deceiving. Given that DC has 10% of the land area of London and has no power to annex, you have to look at the metro population as a whole. As a whole, there's about 6 million people here, which does not include Baltimore's figures. The density of DC is also just a little less than London, so I'm not sure what your measuring stick for "little" is. Little compared to Hong Kong or NYC? Yes, but certainly not little when compared to London.
London sets aside something like half of its land as green space. Pretty good planning for reals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City