Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The post said Georgetown is better known than the University of Chicago and that is true across the world.
The post actually said more well-known and prestigious...If the poster meant in sports, sure, but then you aren't going to win an asinine argument regarding cultural sophistication of a metro area based on college sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The post actually said more well-known and prestigious...If the poster meant in sports, sure, but then you aren't going to win an asinine argument regarding cultural sophistication of a metro area based on college sports.

Noone outside of the Midwest, academia and people who orgasm over school rankings know anything about UC. I have a master's degree and I am not too familiar with it.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Noone outside of the Midwest, academia and people who orgasm over school rankings know anything about UC. I have a master's degree and I am not too familiar with it.
That's not true. Anyone who knows anything about Macro Economics knows the University of Chicago. If you know Milton Friedman, you know the University of Chicago.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post

Actually, you aren't going to win an asinine argument regarding cultural sophistication of a metro area based on universities either. Did you know the Boston metro area loses most of their graduates to other metro areas? Students attending a university has nothing to do with students staying there after graduation. And if we are talking about cultural sophistication, Chicago is not even close to as educated as the D.C. area so what exactly are you talking about?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Oh he definitely understands!
I'm afraid I don't. If only I had MDAllStar's Southeastern Conference ("SEC") education....(sigh)

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That's not true. Anyone who knows anything about Macro Economics knows the University of Chicago. If you know Milton Friedman, you know the University of Chicago.

And how many people in the world know about the above? This is getting ridiculous.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm afraid I don't. If only I had MDAllStar's Southeastern Conference ("SEC") education....(sigh)

Where did you go to school? And what is it ranked? I guarantee that my school is ranked higher than yours.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
You've made my point!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Where did you go to school? And what is it ranked? I guarantee that my school is ranked higher than yours.

He went to DeVry: Class of April! LOL

Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Chicago is not considered a culturally sophisticated city by any means. DC has more of an international presence. There are just too many things to do in DC on a given day. Chicago doesn't even come close and has no answer for the National Mall. 60 museums in a 2 mile area. Supreme Court, National Archives, Newseum, Spy Museum, Corcoran, American Art Museum, the Portrait Gallery, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardens, and the Renwick Gallery, which focuses on decorative art and American craft. Other must-sees in the District’s museums pantheon include the National Gallery of Art and its Sculpture Garden, the National Museum of Women in the Arts and the Textile Museum. DC is home to the only Leonardo da Vinci in the Western Hemisphere.

I'm not even touching the surface of cultural activities in DC. You can take a tour of the Russian embassy and they can show you all of the bugging devices the US govement used to secretly record their conversations during the height of the Cold War. Or you can visit drop off points throughout DC where spys traded secrets. Or see an actual slave hideout spot in the basement of one of the oldest African American churches. Or see the shoes from thousands of Jewish Holocaust victims piled up at the Holocaust Museum. Or go to a FCC, FDA or FAA hearing if that's your thing. Or go visit your state's senator or congressman. Ride the secret Congressional subway from the Capitol to the House office buidings. Or sit on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial at 4 am and look out over the Reflecting Pool where MLK gave his famous speech. Too many things to do in DC. It's no contest.
You are waaaaaayyyy out there and perhaps the biggest and most-biased homer. You seem to post only things that fit your own pro-DC agenda. I appreciate your repping DC but it's really not fun collaborating with someone so narrow-minded.

Last edited by BigLake; 02-05-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City