Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Never mind that it has its own Michelin Guide that DC does not have and has never had.
I think Chicago's guide is only from 2010. There are restaurants in DC that would probably get stars if they expand to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I think Chicago's guide is only from 2010. There are restaurants in DC that would probably get stars if they expand to DC.
This doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I never said it was better. I said it was more well known. The average person outside of academia and the Midwest doesn't know anything about UC.
Sounds a bit like an unsubstantiated statement to me...

Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I agree. If you know the history of Milton Friedman and privatization/"free market" capitalism around the World, especially Pinochet in Chile then you know of The University of Chicago or the "Chicago Boys".

Definitely not saying it is something to be proud of but The University of Chicago is very well known around the World.
Both are very good schools, even if I have serious fundamental problems with the economic theory coming from University of Chicago.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think he is talking about the sports connection which can't be denied. Sports connection with a school is far more wide reaching than academics. It's the way pop culture works whether that is a good or bad thing. Blame the media.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I think he is talking about the sports connection which can't be denied. Sports connection with a school is far more wide reaching than academics. It's the way pop culture works whether that is a good or bad thing. Blame the media.
So we've gone from DC being more culturally sophisticated than Chicago (losing argument) to DC having a larger pop cultural impact. I am fearful that we are headed towards another discussion of mambo sauce and Nike boots.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me.
In the U.S., there are only guides for New York, Chicago, and the Bay Area (there used to be guides in Los Angeles and Las Vegas). There are restaurants all over the country that are deserving of stars, but since Michelin doesn't publish guides for the city they're located in, they don't get any. I'm sure many of those 20 starred restaurants in LA would still get stars again if there was a guide (for example). So, the same is true with DC. There are world-class restaurants here in DC. Jose Andres and Michel Richard, for example, could probably get stars for their restaurants. There have been several James Beard winners, if that's any guide.

Edit: I guess for clarity, I should have said "if the Michelin guide expands to DC."

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
So we've gone from DC being more culturally sophisticated than Chicago (losing argument) to DC having a larger pop cultural impact. I am fearful that we are headed towards another discussion of mambo sauce and Nike boots.

I don't know what you are talking about because I didn't waste my time going back through this thread to read worthless rambling. The post said Georgetown is better known than the University of Chicago and that is true across the world. Sports will always have a wider reach than academics period. There are way less people educated enough to know or care anything about the University of Chicago which does not boast athletics on the Division 1 level. It's not going to be on ESPN across the world or sold in stores etc. Popular culture dictates popularity for the world and that will never change. Arguing these pointless rankings based on scholars and random methodology is a waste of time unless you attended the school yourselves.

Honestly, the amount of time you and many other's on here spend talking about pointless topics that will never effect your current or future life in any way is astonishing. Talk about having absolutely nothing to do with your day. Is there some new initiative coming out in either of these cities that matter's and will change the status quo in this thread? What are you wasting your time talking about in the first place? How will this impact your life in anyway?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Or Caribbean Day parades!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know what you are talking about because I didn't waste my time going back through this thread to read worthless rambling. The post said Georgetown is better known than the University of Chicago and that is true across the world. Sports will always have a wider reach than academics period. There are way less people educated enough to know or care anything about the University of Chicago which does not boast athletics on the Division 1 level. It's not going to be on ESPN across the world or sold in stores etc. Popular culture dictates popularity for the world and that will never change. Arguing these pointless rankings based on scholars and random methodology is a waste of time unless you attended the school yourselves.

Oh he definitely understands! You see he never answered my questions in regard to Chicago's equivalent to DC's cultural institutions. He will run and hide for a few and then come back with a totally unrelated post talking about Mambo Sauce and Nike Boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City