Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:16 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Chicago is one of my favorite places in the world but it is a tale of two cities. One cosmopolitan and vibrant and the other is decidely midwestern and close knit. It reminds me of DC in a lot of ways, except on a larger scale. To the poster who said that DC is a country town. Too much money and power flows through DC to ever be that. On any given day in DC, you may be subjected to a 100,000 person protest for abortion rights, immigration or a world peace rally. From hundreds of embassies to international fairs, world figures, secret service, blackhawks, presidential helicopters, think tanks, non-profits, monuments, history, 40 museums in a two mile area and supreme court rulings, DC is always buzzing. Like it or not, DC is the most powerful city in the free world. Decisions coming from DC decide if you live or die tomorrow.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 05-14-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM

19 posts, read 18,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago is one of my favorite places in the world but it is a tale of two cities. One cosmopolitan and vibrant and the other is decidely midwestern and closed knit. It reminds me of DC in a lot of ways, except on a larger scale. To the poster who said that DC is a

I agree. Even if you look at Chicago's history you see that the city tries to reinvent itslef: no longer the butcher to the world it replaced its slaughterhouses with skyscrapers yet the mentality is still kind of split between the old days and its present time. The downtown is hip and yuppified while the rest of the city is still stuck in its passed blue collar glory. Chicago is working on reinventing itself yet it is nowhere near the end of this road.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Like it or not, DC is the most powerful city in the free world. Decisions coming from DC decide if you live or die tomorrow.
You have an incoming call from New York City. But dont take to long Wall street is on the other line

Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM

High,

What I love about Chicago is the flatness. Most people think its boring but I look at it from a standpoint that Chicago is one of the only places that can quickly revitalize whole areas fairly quickly. It's the perfect place to build on. There is so much potential on the southside by the lake. The northside is great especially along the lake. It reminds me of the UES. But I think the southside could be even better. I might not see it in my lifetime but it will be amazing when they get it right. I was hoping the Olympic could have been a catalyst for that.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highandfive View Post
The downtown is hip and yuppified while the rest of the city is still stuck in its passed blue collar glory.
That's one of the things I like best about it. I find it to be a very "approachable" metropolis, if that makes sense. It has amenities galore, but it's not overwhelming.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM

KONY,

Are they calling about another bail out or the SEC investigation instigated from DC? I'll hold the line while you get that information. LOL

Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
KONY,

Are they calling about another bail out or the SEC investigation instigated from DC? I'll hold the line while you get that information. LOL
No they were actually calling to tell you, that as america's only city that can compete with the great international cities such as london,tokyo,paris,berlin,moscow etc and also as americas number one bread winner-they pretty much run the show. Dc just makes sure things go by smoothly. If anything Dc better do what it needs to do to make sure new yorks engine is running smoothly for the good of the country....Feel me

Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 PM

This whole recession thing showed me who's really is in charge. NYC may be the financial hub in line with London and Tokyo but DC's regulatory muscle pulls all the strings. Keep in mind when the feds want to take their ball and go home, there isn't anything that NYC can do about it. Just ask AIG and Goldman Sachs. No entity is bigger than the Federal Government. DC touches some aspect of everything you do on a daily basis. If Iran or North Korea ever decide to lob a nuke our way, DC will ultimately decide your fate and the fate of the world. Not Madison Avenue. LOL

Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
This whole recession thing showed me who's really is in charge. NYC may be the financial hub in line with London and Tokyo but DC's regulatory muscle pulls all the strings. Keep in mind when the feds want to take their ball and go home, there isn't anything that NYC can do about it. Just ask AIG and Goldman Sachs. No entity is bigger than the Federal Government. DC touches some aspect of everything you do on a daily basis. If Iran or North Korea ever decide to lob a nuke our way, DC will ultimately decide your fate and the fate of the world. Not Madison Avenue. LOL
It was never about madison avenue. Its about Wall street and main street. New york keeps americas finances in order and at the end of the day money makes the world go round. New york is a much more important aspect to america than dc. All the politicians can move headquarters elsewhere, not so easy with new york. If new york messes up, the nation including dc will have to scramble to get things back in order. Wall street dictates dc's decisions

And new york definently touches some aspect of everything you do aswell without even being a capitol.

Dc doesnt have a choice when it comes to wall street. Wall street is americas pitbull when it comes to finances. Dc can only tame it,aswell as it should its the capitol. But trust me america would be a lot worst off if something were to happen to new york, than dc

Not to mention that wall street controls 40% of the entire worlds finances. Dc is just there to control and regulate the powers of new york

And wall street pulls the strings, Dc steps in when things get hectic thats all

Old 05-14-2010, 01:11 PM

My Madison Avenue reference was my lame attempt at sarcasm. I don't want to hi-jack this thread any further, so we agree to disagree. All hail NYC! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City