Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times

Advertisements

They should completely raze entire ghetto neighborhoods in Chicago's South Side--completely level it--and then relocate the entire federal government, the defense industry, the Pentagon, foreign embassies, and all the monuments and museums of DC to Chicago's southern shore area. That way, 2 of my favorite cities could be merged!

Can you imagine the Capitol building and the Washington Monument, all splayed out in their glory, overlooking Lake Michigan? Besides, Chicago would be a more centralized location for our nation's capital and center of government. I think I shall write my congressman to share my ingenious idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:55 AM

638 posts, read 929,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
they should completely raze entire ghetto neighborhoods in chicago's south side--completely level it--and then relocate the entire federal government, the defense industry, the pentagon, foreign embassies, and all the monuments and museums of dc to chicago's southern shore area. That way, 2 of my favorite cities could be merged!:d

can you imagine the capitol building and the washington monument, all splayed out in their glory, overlooking lake michigan? Besides, chicago would be a more centralized location for our nation's capital and center of government. I think i shall write my congressman to share my ingenious idea.

$$$$...lol:d

Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
same here. I prefer the big city lifestyle. I see why people would want to be in dc too though.
I think DC feels just as much like a big city as Chicago. The only difference is that it has no skyscrapers downtown.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
[color=black]The best part about Chicago, is it’s affordability. One can easily live sans car, convenient to restaurants, bars, clubs, and entertainment for less than a grand a month. To get those amenities in DC, one has to be prepared to dig deep in their pocketbook.
Absolutely true. DC's exorbitant cost of living is one of the biggest strikes against it. For a city filled with as many amenities as Chicago has, it is surprisingly affordable.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
I would also like to see DC's monuments and wide avenues radiating along Chicago's south shore line. That would be an amazing site especially with Chicago's flatness (which i love).

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 AM

466 posts, read 1,625,456 times
which city (or district) is more cosmopolitan?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
DC is no match for Chicago. DC almost seems like a country town by comparison.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I'm astonished DC held it's ground against Chicago on the poll.

In another thread, it's out doing San Francisco on the poll.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
DC is no match for Chicago. DC almost seems like a country town by comparison.
This isn't in any way accurate.

I love both cities, and they're much, much closer than you ascribe. Chicago's downtown is more vibrant and has taller buildings, but DC's close-in neighborhoods rival anything in Chicago in terms of activity, restaurants, nightlife, etc. Chicago beats DC in shopping; DC beats Chicago in cultural opportunities.

I think the two are actually really evenly matched, which is part of the reason I like both of them so much.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 18,488 times
It depends on what you like, is that too obvious of an answer? Both are fairly gang ridden and slummy in many areas. Chicago is somehow more corrupt than Washington which is amazing. Chicago is a much larger and more vibrant city, but also highly segregated when it comes down to it and more impersonal as well.
D.C. is within a couple hours of many great cities by train or car. Chicago is in the middle of nowhere basically and people there are convinced that Michigan and WI are vacation destinations. D.C. also has more beautiful destinations surrounding it and slightly better weather. If you like the world stage, D.C. is a bit better. Chicago's world stage mostly consists of things you can basically find anywhere, except for some of the great architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City