Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Georgetown is mostly known for it's law school as it's a T14 and punches above it's weight in that field. UChicago is significantly better and more prestigious in that same field, as well as pretty much everything else. There is an acronym in law called HYSCCN ... there is no G... it's Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, NYU. Georgetown is also known for IR...and is arguably the best in the country for that.

Seriously, all I know about UC is because of this board. It does not have the same popularity of Georgetown. I'm not saying GT is better but it is more well known. A recent President graduated from GT. UC carries a lot of weight in the Midwest. Ask a random person walking down the street in LA, NYC or Philly about each school and I would bet my salary that GT would be their pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Seriously, all I know about UC is because of this board. It does not have the same popularity of Georgetown. I'm not saying GT is better but it is more well known. A recent President graduated from GT. UC carries a lot of weight in the Midwest. Ask a random person walking down the street in LA, NYC or Philly about each school and I would bet my salary that GT would be their pick.
And I'm sure that more people have heard of Jay-Z than Idris Muhammad. So what? Your point was that DC was more "culturally sophisticated" than Chicago. I don't see how a popularity contest between the University of Chicago and Georgetown (which the latter could very well lose) buttresses that point.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You're pretty far off the mark when you make comments like "DC offers more cultural activities" and "Chicago basically is dead in the winter". Make comments like these and you forfeit credibility. No one here denies that Washington has a very good cultural scene; it's simply not on the level of Chicago's. Frankly, it shouldn't be; it's a lot smaller, even given its prominence as the first world capital.

It sounds like you may have visited Chicago. You certainly have a smart passion for cities. Visit again but keep an open mind and don't come with a chip on your shoulder about DC. DC's globally renowned for many things, but as far as cultural sophistication, it's not in the same ballpark.

Also, as others have noted, Georgetown isn't on the same level as Univ. of Chicago. I think it *may* be on Northwestern's level (which is still pretty good).

Chicago is not considered a culturally sophisticated city by any means. DC has more of an international presence. There are just too many things to do in DC on a given day. Chicago doesn't even come close and has no answer for the National Mall. 60 museums in a 2 mile area. Supreme Court, National Archives, Newseum, Spy Museum, Corcoran, American Art Museum, the Portrait Gallery, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardens, and the Renwick Gallery, which focuses on decorative art and American craft. Other must-sees in the District’s museums pantheon include the National Gallery of Art and its Sculpture Garden, the National Museum of Women in the Arts and the Textile Museum. DC is home to the only Leonardo da Vinci in the Western Hemisphere.

I'm not even touching the surface of cultural activities in DC. You can take a tour of the Russian embassy and they can show you all of the bugging devices the US govement used to secretly record their conversations during the height of the Cold War. Or you can visit drop off points throughout DC where spys traded secrets. Or see an actual slave hideout spot in the basement of one of the oldest African American churches. Or see the shoes from thousands of Jewish Holocaust victims piled up at the Holocaust Museum. Or go to a FCC, FDA or FAA hearing if that's your thing. Or go visit your state's senator or congressman. Ride the secret Congressional subway from the Capitol to the House office buidings. Or sit on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial at 4 am and look out over the Reflecting Pool where MLK gave his famous speech. Too many things to do in DC. It's no contest.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And I'm sure that more people have heard of Jay-Z than Idris Muhammad. So what? Your point was that DC was more "culturally sophisticated" than Chicago. I don't see how a popularity contest between the University of Chicago and Georgetown (which the latter could very well lose) buttresses that point.
Which one has had more of an impact on our culture? Most people haven't heard of Idris Muhammed. I'm not saying he isn't relevant but even the POTUS talks about Jay-Z. Hmmmmmm. All I am saying is that most people outside of academia and the Midwest don't know about UC.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Which one has had more of an impact on our culture? Most people haven't heard of Idris Muhammed. I'm not saying he isn't relevant but even the POTUS talks about Jay-Z. Hmmmmmm. All I am saying is that most people outside of academia and the Midwest don't know about UC.
You appear to be clueless about UofC. Got out of the beltway.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Chicago is not considered a culturally sophisticated city by any means.
Oh really?

Quote:
DC has more of an international presence.
Okay, but that doesn't make DC more culturally sophisticated. I think the basic arithmetic going on in your head is as follows:

DC + East Coast + Handful of European Diplomats = Culturally Sophisticated

Chicago + Midwest = Cultural Backwater

Never mind that Chicago has a literary tradition few other cities can match. Never mind that it has some of the finest museums in the country, if not the world. Never mind that it has its own Michelin Guide that DC does not have and has never had. Never mind that it has world-famous chefs. Never mind that the University of Chicago has produced more nobel laureates than any other institution. Never mind that the city has a greater diversity of ethnic enclaves with greater cultural offerings. Never mind that the city was culturally sophisticated enough for a President of the Harvard Law Review who went on to become our current POTUS. Never mind that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is considered one of the best in the nation whereas the National Symphony could be described as above average at best. Never mind that the Chicago Ballet destroys the Washington Ballet. Never mind that theater in DC is virtually non-existent.

Yeah.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh really?

Okay, but that doesn't make DC more culturally sophisticated. I think the basic arithmetic going on in your head is as follows:

DC + East Coast + Handful of European Diplomats = Culturally Sophisticated

Chicago + Midwest = Cultural Backwater

Never mind that Chicago has a literary tradition few other cities can match. Never mind that it has some of the finest museums in the country, if not the world. Never mind that it has its own Michelin Guide that DC does not have and has never had. Never mind that it has world-famous chefs. Never mind that the University of Chicago has produced more nobel laureates than any other institution. Never mind that the city has a greater diversity of ethnic enclaves with greater cultural offerings. Never mind that the city was culturally sophisticated enough for a President of the Harvard Law Review who went on to become our current POTUS. Never mind that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is considered one of the best in the nation whereas the National Symphony could be described as above average at best. Never mind that the Chicago Ballet destroys the Washington Ballet. Never mind that theater in DC is virtually non-existent.

Yeah.

You never answered my question B? What's Chicago's answer to the National Mall and it's 60 museums and memorials? What's Chicago's answer to the Kennedy Center Honors? What's Chicago's equivalent to the Nationa Press Club? What's Chicago's answer to DC's 300 Embassies? All of which have parties and festivals all year long? What's Chicago's equivalent to the Holocaust Museum? Native American Museum, National Museum of African American History and Culture? What's Chicago's equivalent to the Library of Congress, where you can read ANY publication that has ever been written? What's Chicago's answer to the National Cathedral? Where are Chicago's iconic structures?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
If we're talking Law Schools, then University of Chicago is definitely higher ranked. They're both top 15 in the country, but University of Chicago is probably top 10 in the world. It's the premier school for law and economics in the world. It's also one of the top schools for economics (particularly Freshwater economics).

People are more likely to know Georgetown because of the basketball team, to be honest. It's a great school and probably second only to Harvard (maybe third to Yale) in the study of U.S. Foreign Policy. But it's no U of Chicago.

In Law Schools, Chicago is a bit better than Georgetown; Northwestern is a bit over George Washington; Illinois is a bit higher than George Mason.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
I'm not going to get too into this argument; however, I work in academia, and Georgetown is an excellent school, but University of Chicago is generally regarded as one of the premier academic institutions in the world. Georgetown may be better known in the D.C. area, but being better known does not equate to being a better university...

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'm not going to get too into this argument; however, I work in academia, and Georgetown is an excellent school, but University of Chicago is generally regarded as one of the premier academic institutions in the world. Georgetown may be better known in the D.C. area, but being better known does not equate to being a better university...
I never said it was better. I said it was more well known. The average person outside of academia and the Midwest doesn't know anything about UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City