Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I never said it was better. I said it was more well known. The average person outside of academia and the Midwest doesn't know anything about UC.
And what does "more well known" to "the average person" (i.e typical clueless American) have to do with cultural sophistication and prestige?

Penn State might be more well known than UPenn and Outback Steakhouse more well known than Peter Luger's... So?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh really?

Okay, but that doesn't make DC more culturally sophisticated. I think the basic arithmetic going on in your head is as follows:

DC + East Coast + Handful of European Diplomats = Culturally Sophisticated

Chicago + Midwest = Cultural Backwater

Never mind that Chicago has a literary tradition few other cities can match. Never mind that it has some of the finest museums in the country, if not the world. Never mind that it has its own Michelin Guide that DC does not have and has never had. Never mind that it has world-famous chefs. Never mind that the University of Chicago has produced more nobel laureates than any other institution. Never mind that the city has a greater diversity of ethnic enclaves with greater cultural offerings. Never mind that the city was culturally sophisticated enough for a President of the Harvard Law Review who went on to become our current POTUS. Never mind that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is considered one of the best in the nation whereas the National Symphony could be described as above average at best. Never mind that the Chicago Ballet destroys the Washington Ballet. Never mind that theater in DC is virtually non-existent.

Yeah.

That's funny......

Washington D.C. trails only New York city in theater attendance. Reason? Well that might be because D.C. has the populace to support theater at huge numbers because it is at a different class overall than Chicago. Let's be real here, there is a reason people complain about how D.C. is a "where do you work" or "where did you go to school" kind of region. We are at that level. I don't even know why people are wasting their time arguing whether Chicago is as sophisticated as D.C. It's not even up for debate. People may feel Chicago has better theater production's than D.C. but they sure can't produce the audience D.C. can. It's pretty simple really.

D.C. is #2 in the nation in theater attendance:
http://stlworldclasscity.com/?page=live_theater

D.C. = 2.26 million in theater attendance (2011)
D.C. theaters showed growth in 2011 - Washington Business Journal

Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC's Finest actually has a point. I was guilty of thinking DC had better schools because I knew of their universities more than I knew of Chicago's and it's mostly because of sports. GT is far more popular with the common people around the country than UC. It wasn't until I did the research to find out how great UC actually was. UC is a much better academic school than any school in DC. In educated circles, UC is more prestigious as well. Not a slight to GT or other DC schools. But UChicago is a better school. Northwestern probably is too.
I would have to agree. All I was saying is that most people outside of academia or the Midwest DO NOT know about UC. I didn't know that much about it until I started to frequent this board.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That's funny......

Washington D.C. trails only New York city in theater attendance. Reason? Well that might be because D.C. has the populace to support theater at huge numbers because it is at a different class overall than Chicago. Let's be real here, there is a reason people complain about how D.C. is a "where do you work" or "where did you go to school" kind of region. We are at that level. I don't even know why people are wasting their time arguing whether Chicago is as sophisticated as D.C. It's not even up for debate. People may feel Chicago has better theater production's than D.C. but they sure can't produce the audience D.C. can. It's pretty simple really.

D.C. is #2 in the nation in theater attendance:
Top 10 US Cities for Live Theater

D.C. = 2.26 million in theater attendance (2011)
D.C. theaters showed growth in 2011 - Washington Business Journal
Going to the Warner Theater to see Part 7 of T.D. Jakes' gospel play, "Lord, Why Can't I Find a Good Man?" is not exactly what I had in mind. What are some major plays that were actually created by DC- based writers and companies?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Going to the Warner Theater to see Part 7 of T.D. Jakes' gospel play, "Lord, Why Can't I Find a Good Man?" is not exactly what I had in mind. What are some major plays that were actually created by DC- based writers and companies?
Why are you ducking my questions. Less drivel and more substance. Answer my questions? What's Chicago's equivalent to the Library of Congress? National Archives? U.S. Supreme Court? These are enormous cultural resources. If I am in Chicago, where do I go if I want to see a da Vinci? You are very knowledgeable about DC. You have property in the city. You know that pound for pound, DC is a cultural mecca. There are too many things to do and see in DC. I didn't even mention going to review old Hoover files and audio tapes on everyone from Nixon to MLK to Kennedy, etc... at the FBI headquarters or sitting in the balcony at the exact location Lincoln was assasinated at Ford's Theater. I have only scratched the surface B.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Why are you ducking my questions. Less drivel and more substance. Answer my questions? What's Chicago's equivalent to the Library of Congress? National Archives? U.S. Supreme Court? These are enormous cultural resources. If I am in Chicago, where do I go if I want to see a da Vinci? You are very knowledgeable about DC. You have property in the city. You know that pound for pound, DC is a cultural mecca. There are too many things to do and see in DC. I didn't even mention going to review old Hoover files and audio tapes on everyone from Nixon to MLK to Kennedy, etc... at the FBI headquarters or sitting in the balcony at the exact location Lincoln was assasinated at Ford's Theater. I have only scratched the surface B.
I'm sorry, but what is "culturally sophisticated" about the Library of Congress or the Supreme Court? I don't really see those things as hallmarks of cultural sophistication.

Tribeca art galleries are sophisticated. The New Yorker is sophisticated. Having a notable artistic or literary community is sophisticated.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Chicago's south side looks country...

Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on what plays are better which I already said in my original post. By the way, do you realize how ignorant you sound by this post? I will almost gurantee less than 5% of the play attendance in Washington D.C. is for African American plays which are few and far between. The following venues which have almost zero African American plays are responsible for the 2 million people in D.C. theater attendance:

Round House Theater
Theater J
Arena Stage
Folger Theater
GALA Hispanic Theater
Washington Savoyards
Shakespeare Theater
Signature Theater
Studio Theater
Woolly Mammoth Theater
African Continuum Theater

Just to name a few of the 84 theater's in the Washington D.C. region.....

You are steering clear from the fact that D.C.'s population is more sophisticated than Chicago which is very wise on your part by the way. Chicago is very nice but D.C. is upper class and the facts don't lie.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what is "culturally sophisticated" about the Library of Congress or the Supreme Court? I don't really see those things as hallmarks of cultural sophistication.

Tribeca art galleries are sophisticated. The New Yorker is sophisticated. Having a notable artistic or literary community is sophisticated.
Come on B. Having the ability to access knowledge and untap history is the epitome of cultural awareness. There are different types of culture. Visiting Senegal and eating the local cuisine is local culture. Visiting the Kremlin is international culture. Why do people visit institutions like the Smithsonian? The Supreme Court is a one of a kind? Walking in the building and seeing pictures of Thurgood Marshall and his work on a case like Brown vs. The Board of Education is a cultural experience.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Come on B. Having the ability to access knowledge and untap history is the epitome of cultural awareness. There are different types of culture. Visiting Senegal and eating the local cuisine is local culture. Visiting the Kremlin is international culture. Why do people visit institutions like the Smithsonian? The Supreme Court is a one of a kind? Walking in the building and seeing pictures of Thurgood Marshall and his work on a case like Brown vs. The Board of Education is a cultural experience.

Isn't he from Philly? Why waste your time arguing sophistication based on that alone? And then, the argument is about blue collar Chicago of all places. Ghetto doesn't begin to describe it. In D.C., all races have money by much larger numbers than everywhere. Having things to do is subjective based on what each person likes. Having education is factual data and D.C. is head and shoulders over Chicago period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City