Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
How do you know?
It has better academics and is the better university overall. I'm not saying either school is terribly well-known internationally, but Chicago is probably more famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Athletics are more popular than academics so if you are saying famous meaning more people have heard of the university; you can't be serious thinking more people in the world have heard of the University of Chicago than the Georgetown Hoyas? I'm not arguing whether one is ranked higher than the other, just which school is known by more people in the world.

I think you're overstating the international popularity of American college basketball. But I was really talking about fame from an academic institution, since if you're just talking about overall fame, the University of Miami and other sports power houses are more famous than Georgetown and Chicago.

Although, I asked my Brazilian friend and he says he thinks Georgetown is more famous because of the Sopranos. (But then added that Chicago is really more famous because of economics).

Quote:
Also, having a highly ranked university located in a metro area has nothing to do with the sophistication of its residents. Once again, the D.C. metro area runs circle's around Chicago in education and earning power. It's really not even close. Chicago would be considered rough around the edges compared to the Washington D.C. metro area which boasts the wealthiest and most educated populace in the country.
This is true. Some of the best educated in the country go to DC. Some in finance go to New York and engineers go everywhere, but some of the best-educated overall come here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
More well-known & prestigious and it's ranked at #183 among the world's top 400? (Chicago #8). Georgetown is a fine school but it's a couple of tiers below Univ. of Chicago & Northwestern in terms of academic & reputation. This is not even a contest here.

Btw, I guess you got confused between UOC & UIC

#8 University of Chicago
#27 Northwestern University
#56 University of Illinois

#180 University of Illinois at Chicago

#183 Georgetown University

Top 100 world universities – QS rankings - Telegraph
World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News

Quote:
As for Georgetown, it's definitely more well known and prestigious. UC is a great school but unless you are an academic, most people don't know how highly regarded it is.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
DC can't get enough Potbellys and Lettuce Entertain You restaurants. Can't recall a single DC restaurant moving to Chicago though. Maybe they count Capital Grille. I think if a DC restaurant moved to Chicago it would close in a matter of months. DC's really not much of a restaurant or nightlife town, is it?
DC restaurants that went national, Five Guys? They have those in Chicago, right? I've been told the original five are the best, but I couldn't tell you which ones those are.

DC does have some good restaurants and a pretty good nightlife scene. It's not really lacking in that. I'm not sure where I would rank it overall. It has clubs, but it's no Miami, LA, Atlanta; it has quite a few bars, but it's no Chicago, Philly, or New York. Downtown is disappointing, though, and I'd never defend it's nightlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Oh my God, I just had Shake Shack. We need to get one!"

"Oh my God, New York has Uniqlo. We need one!"

"New York taxis accept credit cards. That's what we need"
I don't get the hype with Shake Shack. The same thing happened when they opened in Miami. It's overpriced and I can think of two local places that do it better for the same prices (Burgers Taps Shakes and Ray's Hell Burger; hell Five Guys).

I do think DC should get a Uniqlo, but I don't say that from my brief experience in the SoHo location, but from my extensive experience with the Japanese location. I'm not sure DC has the Japanese population to support it (there are more Chinese and Koreans than Japanese). It would fit in well on M St NW, though.

And DC's cabs are pretty backwater. That said, I've had the cab driver "already ring it up as cash" in New York and Philly, so other cities are not immune from this. DC will have its credit card reader mandate by May, it seems. Then we can enter the 21st Century.

I may need to keep the DC Taxicab Commission number with me. People don't realize that it's illegal for the cab driver to ask you your destination before you enter or refuse to take you there once you say (Failure to Haul). That's not a DC-exclusive problem, but I needed to get that disclaimer out there.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Not its not. Da Vincis paintings are also found in NYC and London(technically both hemispheres).
Link?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
DC can't get enough Potbellys and Lettuce Entertain You restaurants. Can't recall a single DC restaurant moving to Chicago though. Maybe they count Capital Grille. I think if a DC restaurant moved to Chicago it would close in a matter of months. DC's really not much of a restaurant or nightlife town, is it?
In the grand scheme of things people Chicago is not on DC's radar. Most people in DC don't care.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, MDAllStar, I live in Chicago. I suspect you live in Maryland and that you are also an All Star.

As far as health care (not sure I'd call this culture) but Chicago is by no means a world-beater in health care. That said, not sure DC is either. When one thinks health care, they're going to think Boston, Cleveland, Rochester, Baltimore, Houston, NYC, first. I suspect you're co-opting Baltimore though, right?

Now, for education... grade school is not great in Chicago. However, Higher Ed is better in Chicago (Northwestern, UChicago, DePaul, Loyola, UIC, etc.) than Washington (Georgetown, George Washington, American, etc.) , as this thread has vociferously played out.

FWIW, I've been to Washington, DC more times than I care to count, both work and leisure. Meh. Feels like a middle-sized town, not a lot of vibrancy, and frankly, it's kind of sterile.

and WTF is this supposed to mean... "people in D.C. are head and shoulders above Chicago and that is not up for debate."

You're just being ridiculous, now.

Chicago is slower paced than DC. It feels very Midwestern.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Transportation: Chicago, more lines, better ridership

Shopping: easy Chicago with Magnificent Mile, 4 malls with extremely high upscale shopping and 9th largest mall in the states.

Architecture: TIE

Downtown: Chicago

Suburbs: Chicago, huge suburbs, extremely nice, they have any restaurant you can think of

Parks: D.C.

Food: Chicago, Italian beef, hot dogs, Italian food, Deep dish Pizza yum

Schools: Chicago

Affordability: Chicago except for those annoying toll roads...

The DC Metro has almost as many riders as the Metra and El combined. Your credibility is zero. DC's suburbs are the richest in the nation. Chicago has no answer for a place like Tyson's Corner.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, MDAllStar, I live in Chicago. I suspect you live in Maryland and that you are also an All Star.

As far as health care (not sure I'd call this culture) but Chicago is by no means a world-beater in health care. That said, not sure DC is either. When one thinks health care, they're going to think Boston, Cleveland, Rochester, Baltimore, Houston, NYC, first. I suspect you're co-opting Baltimore though, right?

Now, for education... grade school is not great in Chicago. However, Higher Ed is better in Chicago (Northwestern, UChicago, DePaul, Loyola, UIC, etc.) than Washington (Georgetown, George Washington, American, etc.) , as this thread has vociferously played out.

FWIW, I've been to Washington, DC more times than I care to count, both work and leisure. Meh. Feels like a middle-sized town, not a lot of vibrancy, and frankly, it's kind of sterile.

and WTF is this supposed to mean... "people in D.C. are head and shoulders above Chicago and that is not up for debate."

You're just being ridiculous, now.

Why is Chicago so cheap? Hmmmmm. Salaries, housing, etc....

Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Why is Chicago so cheap? Hmmmmm. Salaries, housing, etc....
Primarily (though not only) it's availability of land.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
In the grand scheme of things people Chicago is not on DC's radar. Most people in DC don't care.
Yea, and you're kidding yourself if you think-- beyond politics-- that a Chicagoan would have any frame of reference for Washington DC. You would be another Baltimore, or Richmond, or Charlotte. One of those type towns.

Look, DC is a pretty cool town with nice culture. What are you so hung up about Chicago for? It's just a poll. Unless I'm unaware, I don't think there's money riding on this. Take the chip off your shoulder and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City