Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 10:22 PM

325 posts, read 203,987 times

Advertisements

What's the criteria for importance here? Charlotte you can make a case for being the biggest city in the state and a banking hub. Nashville... not sure about that one. It's a lot smaller than CLT/SA. It obviously has the pop culture aspect but I can't think of much else, I'm also not super familiar with it so I could be wrong.

SA's economy is more diverse than Austin's, has the same amount of F500 companies (even after SA losing some to buyouts and Austin gaining from relocations) and depending on the criteria has more national importance. IMO, it's a wash all things considered.

I'm not sure how much longer Austin can sustain the growth it's had over the last decade or so. The COL is astronomical for what you're getting, the infrastructure is maxed out, and with the current state of the economy/recession I'm not too confident in hedging all the bets on tech.

It's also probably not a coincidence that the city with the most net migration to SA is Austin.

San Antonio might not ever be a glitzy skyscraper city (although that does seem to be changing to a degree) but I see it being more of a long term stable growth kind of place vs a boom/bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City