Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 08:10 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times

Advertisements

This article puts Houston into the Deep South.

“The waterways around Houston fit the definitions of creeks and bayous, which is why the terms are used interchangeably here. During dry spells, the channels around Houston can run very low and slow, more like a classic bayou. But when it rains, the bayous fill up quickly and start acting more like a classic creek (or raging river, depending on the size of the rain event).

And, of course, we’re in the deep south, so we’re definitely in bayou country.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...nd-not-creeks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 08:42 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This article puts Houston into the Deep South.

“The waterways around Houston fit the definitions of creeks and bayous, which is why the terms are used interchangeably here. During dry spells, the channels around Houston can run very low and slow, more like a classic bayou. But when it rains, the bayous fill up quickly and start acting more like a classic creek (or raging river, depending on the size of the rain event).

And, of course, we’re in the deep south, so we’re definitely in bayou country.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...nd-not-creeks/
I agree with this. I definitely get deep south vibes from Houston.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:35 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Oklahoma is not “the south”. I don’t understand City-Data’s obsession with trying to place a state that has closer ties to the Great Plains as south. Sorry to break it to you- Oklahoma is not “the south”. I’ve clocked more time than likely most here, minus an actual resident, in the state of Oklahoma..and it’s more similar to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and North Texas (which is also NOT the south and I lived in Dallas and still have family there).. Than anywhere most would consider “the south”.

But the vocal City Data minority will bloviate that “it’s the south”. Believe what you want then. When I was 5, I believed in Santa Claus too. Sheesh
I'm born and raised in North Texas. It is the South. And, in my opinion, the majority of Oklahomans live in areas that are culturally closest to DFW than any other metro or surrounding rural area.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:39 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The uniqueness of the chicken is an entirely different thread (and a delicious one I might add). You get that it was a missed opportunity for name-branding. However I will say that Hattie B's in Nashville and Prices Chicken Coop in Charlotte are some of the most unique flavors I've ever had!!!
Meh..Bojangles is hit or miss, not as consistent as Popeyes. So is Nashville's hot chicken. Don't get me wrong, when cooked properly both are good. Prices is good, never had hot chicken at Hatties B...one of the copycats, forget the spot...again, just ok.

Top Tier
Big Four

2nd Tier
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
New Orleans
Richmond
Louisville
Tampa Bay
Orlando
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Memphis
Norfolk
San Antonio

3rd Tier
Columbia
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Asheville
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Raleigh (getting close to next tier)
Durham
(Other Hampton Roads cities)..although a second tier metro
Shreveport
Montgomery
Lexington
Knoxville
Chattanooga (maybe)
Jackson

Tier 4
Everybody else 50k to 200k

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-13-2021 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-13-2021, 05:56 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Meh..Bojangles is hit or miss, not as consistent as Popeyes. So is Nashville's hot chicken. Don't get me wrong, when cooked properly both are good. Prices is good, never had hot chicken at Hatties B...one of the copycats, forget the spot...again, just ok.

Top Tier
Big Four

2nd Tier
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
New Orleans
Richmond
Louisville
Tampa Bay
Orlando
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Memphis
Norfolk
San Antonio

3rd Tier
Columbia
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Asheville
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Shreveport
Montgomery
Lexington
Knoxville
Chattanooga (maybe)
Jackson

Tier 4
I agree with you about Bojangles.

As far as the Nashville Hot Chicken, was it Prince's by chance?

Old 01-14-2021, 08:13 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:

Top Tier
Big Four

2nd Tier
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
New Orleans
Richmond
Louisville
Tampa Bay
Orlando
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Memphis
Norfolk
San Antonio

3rd Tier
Columbia
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Asheville
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Shreveport
Montgomery
Lexington
Knoxville
Chattanooga (maybe)
Jackson

Tier 4
Did Sir Walter Raleigh himself hurt you?

Old 01-14-2021, 08:43 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:

Top Tier
Big Four

2nd Tier
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
New Orleans
Richmond
Louisville
Tampa Bay
Orlando
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Memphis
Norfolk
San Antonio

3rd Tier
Columbia
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Asheville
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Shreveport
Montgomery
Lexington
Knoxville
Chattanooga (maybe)
Jackson

Tier 4
Putting Raleigh & Durham...whether considering them separately or together....in a "lower tier" than Jacksonville, Richmond, Birmingham, and Norfolk.....is ridiculous.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Putting Raleigh & Durham...whether considering them separately or together....in a "lower tier" than Jacksonville, Richmond, Birmingham, and Norfolk.....is ridiculous.
Raleigh, yes. Durham belongs in the third tier though and if ranked in order of importance, it would certainly be very near or at the top.

In actuality though, the Triangle should be considered singularly and as such, would be in Big Aristotle's second tier (which would be better served broken up into 2a and 2b IMO).

Old 01-14-2021, 10:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 810,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
As a Jacksonville resident I agree. Raliegh is much more attractive to transplants than Jacksonville

Old 01-14-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
As a Jacksonville resident I agree. Raliegh is much more attractive to transplants than Jacksonville
Being more attractive to transplants isn't a valid criteria for tiering. Myrtle Beach is more attractive to transplants than Memphis, but that doesn't mean that the former is in a higher tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City