Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 04:53 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
You are doing it again.. what does this have to do with it being well-known. There are like 10 cities with larger presence or skyline along the eastern seaboard alone.

Not everyone is black, keeps up with sports or lives in the SE.
I'm well travelled so for me, it just seems weird. Albuquerque, OKC, Spokane, San Diego, Omaha, and MANY others I've seen and heard of. It just seems weird to me (I'd be just as shocked about someone in the Southeast not knowing about Portland). Besides bruh, YOU lost a lot of credibility trying to shoehorn Drake into down-south hip hop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM

38 posts, read 23,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
What is interesting about it? I'm not sure I fully understand what tiers of cities is supposed to mean, but in terms of "big city feel" Austin has a clear lead over San Antonio without a doubt. (Much more going on economically, busier in both pedestrian and vehicle traffic, bigger skyline, more events, etc).
I disagree. SA does have a “big city” feel to it in that respect. It can definitely go in a same tier as Tampa or Raleigh.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemylk View Post
I disagree. SA does have a “big city” feel to it in that respect. It can definitely go in a same tier as Tampa or Raleigh.
How are you disagreeing with me? The comparison I was quoting was with Austin, not Tampa or Raleigh.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:00 PM

472 posts, read 346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You're reaching with Drake because...

1 He is not from Memphis
2 His style is not southern
3 Culturally, he is not southern (openly admits he is Jewish, not Christian which means he is more influenced by his mother)

In the song, "Walking in Memphis" one of the verses is "Tell me are you a Christian child? And I said Ma'am, I am tonight". Yeah, THAT'S Memphis! Christian, NOT Jewish (and I'm agnostic, so I really don't care personally).

But Drake is smart for using his dad's Memphis roots to help boost his record sells in the south. It's called marketing
Yo, just wanna say, Memphis has a historic Jewish community (as does NOLA and Charleston). Also, Marc Cohn, the writer/performer of Walking in Memphis is Jewish. Don't have a dog in the fight about Drake...

Old 12-17-2020, 05:03 PM

38 posts, read 23,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
How are you disagreeing with me? The comparison I was quoting was with Austin, not Tampa or Raleigh.
The comparison you quoted, and, therefore, your comment, was in reference to that list of tiers which had Austin, Tampa, and Raleigh in Tier 2.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:51 PM

676 posts, read 492,259 times
Quote:
You are doing it again.. what does this have to do with it being well-known. There are like 10 cities with larger presence or skyline along the eastern seaboard alone.

Not everyone is black, keeps up with sports or lives in the SE.
Which 10?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:54 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
I'm well travelled so for me, it just seems weird. Albuquerque, OKC, Spokane, San Diego, Omaha, and MANY others I've seen and heard of. It just seems weird to me (I'd be just as shocked about someone in the Southeast not knowing about Portland). Besides bruh, YOU lost a lot of credibility trying to shoehorn Drake into down-south hip hop culture.
Drake is not a southern rapper, but he clearly has roots in Memphis as he had part of his upbringing there with his pops. It doesn’t matter how legitimate you think it is.... he puts on for Memphis sometimes, this can def impact its popularity.

Why wouldn’t anyone in the south not know about Portland? That’s not analogous, Charlotte is just now getting its feet wet in the big city crowd. The NBA team is one of the newer franchises, its football team doesn’t Contain its name. It’s just a generic Carolina.

Who was really talking about Charlotte before like 15-20 years ago. It’s not at all surprising that it is not well-known.

“The first step was to sell Charlotte as a regional market, stressing its population within a 50-mile radius rather than traditional city limits. Sports marketing executive Max Muhleman, who made Charlotte's pitch to the NBA owners, knew he was in trouble when one said in a puzzled tone: "Charlotte . . . I think I fly over that between Atlanta and New York."

“...When the NBA came, there was beer and wine coolers and Haagen Daaz ice cream," said University of Charlotte economist John Connaughton. "It was like a switch was thrown: Welcome to the 20th century from an 18th century carnival."'

At the time, Muhleman said the NBA's arrival was probably the most important thing to happen in the area since the Civil War in terms of defining the region. With the NBA as its calling card, Charlotte would no longer be confused with Charlottesville, Va., or Charleston, S.C., and could finally be mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta, its economic role model to the South.”

These aren’t the words of CD sunbelt haters, but people in the sport’s business. You all being anachronistic to act like Charlotte is suppose to be well-known.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:07 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Quote:
Drake is not a southern rapper, but he clearly has roots in Memphis as he had part of his upbringing there with his pops. It doesn’t matter how legitimate you think it is.... he puts on for Memphis sometimes, this can def impact its popularity.

Why wouldn’t anyone in the south not know about Portland? That’s not analogous, Charlotte is just now getting its feet wet in the big city crowd. The NBA team is one of the newer franchises, its football team doesn’t Contain its name. It’s just a generic Carolina.

Who was really talking about Charlotte before like 15-20 years ago. It’s not at all surprising that it is not well-known.

“The first step was to sell Charlotte as a regional market, stressing its population within a 50-mile radius rather than traditional city limits. Sports marketing executive Max Muhleman, who made Charlotte's pitch to the NBA owners, knew he was in trouble when one said in a puzzled tone: "Charlotte . . . I think I fly over that between Atlanta and New York."

“...When the NBA came, there was beer and wine coolers and Haagen Daaz ice cream," said University of Charlotte economist John Connaughton. "It was like a switch was thrown: Welcome to the 20th century from an 18th century carnival."'

At the time, Muhleman said the NBA's arrival was probably the most important thing to happen in the area since the Civil War in terms of defining the region. With the NBA as its calling card, Charlotte would no longer be confused with Charlottesville, Va., or Charleston, S.C., and could finally be mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta, its economic role model to the South.”

These aren’t the words of CD sunbelt haters, but people in the sport’s business. You all being anachronistic to act like Charlotte is suppose to be well-known.
You’re literally posting pundit quotes from before the original Charlotte Hornets expansion... In 1987! Are you even that old? If you’re basing your opinions off of 30+ year old pundit quotes then god bless. We get it, you don’t think Charlotte should have risen so quickly!

Old 12-17-2020, 06:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
I'm well travelled so for me, it just seems weird. Albuquerque, OKC, Spokane, San Diego, Omaha, and MANY others I've seen and heard of. It just seems weird to me (I'd be just as shocked about someone in the Southeast not knowing about Portland).
This isn't a good comparison because Portland is not in any way anonymous lol it is very much visible. There is a popular show named after it. It is pretty much the face of activism and protest. Like I said before, I can't think of a single relevant pop culture reference to Charlotte. Can you?

It doesn't have anything to do with being well travelled. Some cities just have far more name recognition than other cities. I've been to Europe several times and I just found that Kyiv is the 7th largest city in all of Europe. Apparently, it's larger than Rome, Paris, Budapest, and Vienna. I've certainly heard of it but don't know anything about it and definitely never heard it mentioned in my travels. Most people probably couldn't identify what country it is in. Similar energy to Charlotte.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot that there is a dish named after Kyiv so it's not the best example. Bucharest is a better example. Massive European city with little to no name recognition

Last edited by nadnerb; 12-17-2020 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 06:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
You’re literally posting pundit quotes from before the original Charlotte Hornets expansion... In 1987! Are you even that old? If you’re basing your opinions off of 30+ year old pundit quotes then god bless. We get it, you don’t think Charlotte should have risen so quickly!
It’s a fact. Get over it. Charlotte wasn’t on anyone’s national radar until 2000s.

If you all want to pretend Charlotte was a well-known national city in the 90s, then have fun. But you aren’t fooling anyone not from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City