Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 09:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That like giving Asheville props for Jermaine Dupri.
If Jermaine Dupri were to rep Asheville. It would lol. I don’t know how a kid spending months with their father in his home city is irrelevant to that kid’s formative years.

Like I said, Pac has no upbringing in Cali. But he regarded as one of most influential west coast rappers. Drake isn’t that kinda rapper, but he clearly has some say on Memphis.

Let me guess Tyler Perry and Ludacris have no claim to Atlanta because they didn’t live here until 16?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 10:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,162,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Tier 1
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

Tier 2
Nashville
Charlotte
Austin
Tampa
Orlando
Raleigh

Tier 3
Memphis
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Louisville
San Antonio
Knoxville
New Orleans

Tier 4
Little Rock
Jackson
Chattanooga
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Mobile
Colombia
Move New Orleans to Tier 2, slide Knoxville down (in my opinion). Good list

Old 12-17-2020, 10:13 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Tier 1
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

Tier 2
Nashville
Charlotte
Austin
Tampa
Orlando
Raleigh

Tier 3
Memphis
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Louisville
San Antonio
Knoxville
New Orleans

Tier 4
Little Rock
Jackson
Chattanooga
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Mobile
Colombia
San Antonio is too underrated here. So is New Orleans. And Jackson never should've been listed at all (with the exception of the "thick" beautiful women down there).

Old 12-17-2020, 10:29 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
For my friend, I’ll note there is no Richmond.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:19 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Tier 1
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

Tier 2
Nashville
Charlotte
Austin
Tampa
Orlando
Raleigh

Tier 3
Memphis
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Louisville
San Antonio
Knoxville
New Orleans

Tier 4
Little Rock
Jackson
Chattanooga
Greenville
Charleston
Savannah
Mobile
Colombia
Tulsa and Oklahoma City are missing as well.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:34 AM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Had the person who brought this up simply said from the outset that Charlotte has less name recognition than smaller cities like Memphis and NOLA, no one would have disputed that. But that's not what he argued in the beginning. He said that he's never heard anyone mention Charlotte in real life or even on TV. That's pretty extraordinary IMO.
I wasn't trying to argue anything, I was just offering a perspective as someone who hasn't spent much time in that part of the country. I can't think of a single reference to Charlotte in popular culture. I know of several friends who have been to Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, and New Orleans, though I don't know a single one that has been to Charlotte or expressed an interest to go there. The first time I ever heard of it was way back when I googled what the largest cities in the U.S were., something I can't say the same for most cities in the top 50. I was just expressing surprise that it's developing into this top tier southern city when it still feels anonymous on a national level. Not a dig at Charlotte, it just is what it is.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:58 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
You are conflating two different things. I’m just reaching my 30s. I wasn’t around for Motown, but it’s just well known in culture.

But watch movies. Meet different people. Memphis is just more popular of a name.

Before “Da Baby” no one really even associated big time pop musicians with Charlotte.

I’m not disputing your reasons for liking Charlotte over Memphis, that’s fine.
You are young apparently......Jodeci, Sunshine Anderson, Stephanie Mills, Anthony Hamilton.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I wasn't trying to argue anything, I was just offering a perspective as someone who hasn't spent much time in that part of the country. I can't think of a single reference to Charlotte in popular culture. I know of several friends who have been to Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, and New Orleans, though I don't know a single one that has been to Charlotte or expressed an interest to go there. The first time I ever heard of it was way back when I googled what the largest cities in the U.S were., something I can't say the same for most cities in the top 50. I was just expressing surprise that it's developing into this top tier southern city when it still feels anonymous on a national level. Not a dig at Charlotte, it just is what it is.
You shouldn’t have to apologize for that. Mutiny is usually more objective than that, I think he gets it now.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
You are young apparently......Jodeci, Sunshine Anderson, Stephanie Mills, Anthony Hamilton.
I’m in my lower 30s and know every single artist/group mentioned. Guess how strong their explicit association with a Charlotte is... not very high. The only artist to my knowledge that has went out of their way to rep Charlotte in their songs is “Da Baby”

So it’s not just enough to list ppl born in or have lived in a city... the relevant question is how strong does the artist rep. And Sunshine Anderson so is under the radar lol. To quote her, city data has heard it all before.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Had the person who brought this up simply said from the outset that Charlotte has less name recognition than smaller cities like Memphis and NOLA, no one would have disputed that. But that's not what he argued in the beginning. He said that he's never heard anyone mention Charlotte in real life or even on TV. That's pretty extraordinary IMO.
Not gonna lie. If I wasn't a geography nerd this is true of me too. Take in mind, this is a good and a bad thing, besides Disneyworld/Universal Studios one of the biggest reasons I saw Orlando in the news was the Pulse Shooting. I also had never seen someone organically talk about Charlotte until DaBaby popped up. Of course I knew about it but that's because I looked into it myself. I live in Houston but until the flooding/Harvey and post-Beyonce (When she stopped releasing music consistently) I'm sure Houston barely popped up in the news either. I live here so of course I heard about it all the time. But it isn't really a diss, it's just the way it is. Maybe if Charlotte had a crisis like mass shooting or a natural disaster it would be brought up more, but that's a negative connotation. I can count the number of times someone said Charlotte referring to the city in an actual conversation, most of it revolves around Michael Jordan and basketball until recently (You guys should give DaBaby a statue). To be fair if it wasn't for the Universities and it being the capital, I would likely never here of Raleigh either.

Also to clarify- I personally think Sports Teams and Name Recognition has very little to do with tiers of city. Both of those are superficial aspects of a city, and when talking in the Physical don't have much of a direct impact. I will give it to you if your stadium is located in a good location and has a nice mixed-use development that it anchors near the center of your town. But actual Sport's Team performance doesn't matter a t all when putting cities in Tiers. Charlotte's clearly ahead of Memphis, I'm just talking purely name-recognition.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 12-17-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City