Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
You’re literally posting pundit quotes from before the original Charlotte Hornets expansion... In 1987! Are you even that old? If you’re basing your opinions off of 30+ year old pundit quotes then god bless. We get it, you don’t think Charlotte should have risen so quickly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilFan View Post
Which 10?
NYC
Philly
Boston
Pittsburgh
DC
Atlanta
Miami

Debatable:

Tampa
Orlando
Bmore

Didn’t even have to leave the east coast. Didn’t even mention its in-state competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:38 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It’s a fact. Get over it. Charlotte wasn’t on anyone’s national radar until 2000s.

If you all want to pretend Charlotte was a well-known national city in the 90s, then have fun. But you aren’t fooling anyone not from there.
I have said several times throughout this thread, Charlottes ascension has been rapid. So please tell me what I’m getting over? If anything, maybe you should consider getting over/getting used to seeing Charlotte on the up without being triggered into digging up decades old articles with quotes from the 80s.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I have said several times throughout this thread, Charlottes ascension has been rapid. So please tell me what I’m getting over? If anything, maybe you should consider getting over/getting used to seeing Charlotte on the up without being triggered into digging up decades old articles with quotes from the 80s.
You clearly haven’t read my comments in here. I praise Charlotte for what it is and wouldn’t mind living there(possibly in when Slightly older or if Atlanta gets to crazy) .

Cities form identities over decades, so the fact you are indirectly conceding my point about Charlotte’s perception in the late 80s is rich. Yes, that means it isn’t a household name.

Building lots of skyscrapers in 20 years doesn’t deepen your reputation or standing in the world, that’s what cultural contributions elevate you to noteriety.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
What is interesting about it? I'm not sure I fully understand what tiers of cities is supposed to mean, but in terms of "big city feel" Austin has a clear lead over San Antonio without a doubt. (Much more going on economically, busier in both pedestrian and vehicle traffic, bigger skyline, more events, etc).
My thing as it was interesting to see Austin along with the cities of Tampa or Charlotte but somehow San Antonio somehow doesn’t. Austin does beat SA in economics and does have a larger skyline. But San Antonio core historically had a higher density and probably still does. Austin has more pedestrian and vehicle traffic than San Antonio? Is there a link to verify that because for to long, San Antonio’s downtown was said to have the best pedestrian areas in Texas with the riverwalk area as well as tourist spots with the Alamo. Vehicle? Well SA is bigger. Austin has the events but San Antonio has the theme parks. My thing is San Antonio has an argument to place itself in the same tier as Austin. It’s not like there is a significant gap between Austin GDP and San Antonio GDP either.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,637 times
Quote:
You clearly haven’t read my comments in here. I praise Charlotte for what it is and wouldn’t mind living there(possibly in when Slightly older or if Atlanta gets to crazy) .

Cities form identities over decades, so the fact you are indirectly conceding my point about Charlotte’s perception in the late 80s is rich. Yes, that means it isn’t a household name.

Building lots of skyscrapers in 20 years doesn’t deepen your reputation or standing in the world, that’s what cultural contributions elevate you to noteriety.
Indirectly conceding your point? More like having to reiterate my point. There is nothing to concede. Stop with the backhanded compliments and semantics. Please point to the post where I stated Charlotte is a household name? I’ll wait.

“Building lots of skyscrapers for 20 years doesn’t deepen your reputation or standing in the world”. Actually it does, unless you think Charlotte hasn’t ascended in rankings. Those skyscrapers come from demand, jobs, economic vitality. There’s far more to it than skyscrapers (Which I also never brought up so not sure why you’re harping here). This thread is about southern city tiers. Let me put it this way: Charlotte has ascended those tiers since 1987, without being a household name.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:10 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
It’s a fact. Get over it. Charlotte wasn’t on anyone’s national radar until 2000s.

If you all want to pretend Charlotte was a well-known national city in the 90s, then have fun. But you aren’t fooling anyone not from there.
Charlotte did host the NCAA Men's Final Four and the NBA All Star Game in the EARLY 1990s.

1991 NBA All-Star Game

1994 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament

Old 12-17-2020, 08:36 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
President Clinton was at the ‘94 game. That game helped me heal after BC knocked UNC out (in more ways than one) that March.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,985 times
Jean Nate in the whey...

Old 12-17-2020, 10:04 PM

563 posts, read 516,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
You know, I always forget about Oklahoma when we talk about the south. Same with Arkansas.
Oklahoma is not “the south”. I don’t understand City-Data’s obsession with trying to place a state that has closer ties to the Great Plains as south. Sorry to break it to you- Oklahoma is not “the south”. I’ve clocked more time than likely most here, minus an actual resident, in the state of Oklahoma..and it’s more similar to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa and North Texas (which is also NOT the south and I lived in Dallas and still have family there).. Than anywhere most would consider “the south”.

But the vocal City Data minority will bloviate that “it’s the south”. Believe what you want then. When I was 5, I believed in Santa Claus too. Sheesh

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 12-17-2020 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Charlotte did host the NCAA Men's Final Four and the NBA All Star Game in the EARLY 1990s.

1991 NBA All-Star Game

1994 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament
Ok. Doesn’t touch my point. I’ve been saying all throughout : People who aren’t African American, in the southeast or big on sports will likely not have heard much (if any) about Charlotte. That’s not a diss or slight against Charlotte, except maybe to get its cultural capital up. It will happen over time.

In the same way that country folk in suburban Atlanta or Middle Ga don’t hear about the San Jose area (with wealthy 2 million population). We instantly think of like 3 cities (metros) when we hear California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City