Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:20 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
If we are talking about West Indian specifically you have to give it to either NYC or Miami, with NYC having a slight edge, its VERY close though.
I'd still give it to Miami over NYC if we are talking about West Indian. NYC SLIGHTLY has more Jamaicans but that's about it. Miami has more Haitians, WAAAAY more Bahamians, I think Miami has more Guyanese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami...New York....the rest. There isn't a city close to these two cities. Now if we include all of North America, I think Toronto even beats Miami. But that's for another conversation.

Yes, a lot of people forget about just how large Toronto's Caribbean community is. I went to Caribana a few years ago, and was pretty impressed. Not only were there a lot of Jamaicans, but there are large Trinidadian and Guyanese communities up there too. Even a decent sized Vincentian community too.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd still give it to Miami over NYC if we are talking about West Indian. NYC SLIGHTLY has more Jamaicans but that's about it. Miami has more Haitians, WAAAAY more Bahamians, I think Miami has more Guyanese.
whoa , i think nyc is the crown when it comes to guyanese people , after jamaicans , guyanese are the second largest west indian group in nyc above haitians.

but yea maimi has more bahamains

but how large is the Grenadian , vincy, Lucian , bajan , antiguan , st kitts , trini population in miami , cause nyc is large in each.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Regardless of the raw numbers, wouldn't Miami still take this over New York simply because it's a smaller city, and the city as a whole is considerably more influenced by Caribbean/West Indian culture?

New York City may have huge a huge West Indian/Caribbean population, but it has massive populations of every culture. It has large influence from several cultures, while Miami seems to be dominated by Latin culture.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
whoa , i think nyc is the crown when it comes to guyanese people , after jamaicans , guyanese are the second largest west indian group in nyc above haitians.

but yea maimi has more bahamains

but how large is the Grenadian , vincy, Lucian , bajan , antiguan , st kitts , trini population in miami , cause nyc is large in each.
Percentage wise, I think Miami has a higher percentage of these groups. Here is a good website for these stats: United States - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder

Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Percentage wise, I think Miami has a higher percentage of these groups. Here is a good website for these stats: United States - Select a Race, Ethnic, or Ancestry Group - American FactFinder
niceeee. im more use to west palm beach florida where most my fam lives. im haitian american btw. im 19 and want to experience miami more.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
niceeee. im more use to west palm beach florida where most my fam lives. im haitian american btw. im 19 and want to experience miami more.
I'm Haitian and I was born in West Palm.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm Haitian and I was born in West Palm.
lol what a coincidence lol

Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,923 times
Quote:
NYC actually has more Haitians than Miami as well if you base it on raw numbers, there is no West Indian group that has a larger population in Miami than NYC except for Bahamian as you mentioned. NYC has more Guyanese, Jamaicans and Trini's.

Now the reason why I said Miami was close, is because the West Indian community is huge down there, plus percentage wise it is higher than NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Regardless of the raw numbers, wouldn't Miami still take this over New York simply because it's a smaller city, and the city as a whole is considerably more influenced by Caribbean/West Indian culture?

New York City may have huge a huge West Indian/Caribbean population, but it has massive populations of every culture. It has large influence from several cultures, while Miami seems to be dominated by Latin culture.
Spanish speaking Caribbean nations are not West Indian though, so Latin Culture should not be factored in. If we are speaking Caribbean though (Spanish, French, Dutch and English) then yes Miami would definitely be more heavily influenced.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
NYC actually has more Haitians than Miami as well if you base it on raw numbers, there is no West Indian group that has a larger population in Miami than NYC except for Bahamian as you mentioned. NYC has more Guyanese, Jamaicans and Trini's.

Now the reason why I said Miami was close, is because the West Indian community is huge down there, plus percentage wise it is higher than NYC.

Spanish speaking Caribbean nations are not West Indian though, so Latin Culture should not be factored in. If we are speaking Caribbean though (Spanish, French, Dutch and English) then yes Miami would definitely be more heavily influenced.
Yeah NYC does have more Haitians than Miami, but Florida as a whole in terms of raw numbers has more Haitians the the state of New York as a whole in terms of raw numbers. That's where I got confused. Miami for a city with as small a population has ALOT of West Indians. Miami is a city of 500,000 while NYC is a city of 8million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City