Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
where in cali can you find puerto ricans? also i bet theirs more Guatemalans and Salvadorians then ricans right?
They're actually all over the place, but just not in huge neighborhoods or concentrations. A lot of people seem to assume many of them (as well as Guatemalans, Salvadorans, Nicaraguense, etc.) are Mexican too b/c of how they dress or the fact that Mexicans dominate. I didn't even realize one of my buddies was Puerto Rican for like the first year I knew him b/c that whole group was Salvadoran. I just assumed he was too, either that or Mexican, till it came up in conversation.

Ricans tend to blend in more here rather than stand out like they do in other places - why, I couldn't tell you. But I've been surprised to find out someone was Puerto Rican out here more times than I can count. 9 times out of 10 you either assume they're Mexican or black. There's definitely plenty around here; they're just surprisingly integrated/scattered into the population instead of forming their own neighborhoods. I don't know of a single Puerto Rican neighborhood in CA, but I've known and met a ton of them here through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM

428 posts, read 831,524 times
NYC has more West Indians than Miami has people.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I just want you to know, I'm not trying to attack you or your post, but I simply see some flaws to it.
But your missing the point, NYC's population is LA's plus Chicago's, plus Houston's. (City wise) and LA metro + Chicago metro (metro wise).

What people here are trying to say is that which of these cities have more influence on Latin American/Caribbean culture. Miami is dominated by Latin American/Caribbean culture. The whole city revolves around that culture.

Miami Ratio of Latin Americans to Total city population/metro population: Above 80%
Same ratio for NYC: It would be a minority, meaning less than 50%, I don't even think it's passed 25% of the total population of the city/metro.

NYC doesn't.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
PERCENTAGE my friend, PERCENTAGE. Use PERCENTAGE!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
PERCENTAGE my friend, PERCENTAGE. Use PERCENTAGE!!!
By percentage Miami definitely wins, NYC is far too diverse. I think its more complicated that pure numbers or percentages. Neither city "blows each other out of the water" as they both have tons of Caribbean culture.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
By percentage Miami definitely wins, NYC is far too diverse. I think its more complicated that pure numbers or percentages. Neither city "blows each other out of the water" as they both have tons of Caribbean culture.
N130, you're very right, they both have tons of Caribbean culture.

But may I ask you a question?

Which of those two cities displays the "Caribbean culture" on a larger scale on a day to day basis? And you can only pick one city.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Are you sure? I mean I know Fat Joe, and J-Lo and Daddy Yankee but. You seriously need to go to Calle Ocho in Miami.
salsa and mambo also was hugely influenced by the bronx. Reggae-tone aswell. Countless latin jazz legends and other artist hail from new york aswell. And i would bet my life savings that the puerto rican day parade is bigger than calle ocho

Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The Bronx, West and South, Inwood, Washington Heights, West Harlem, and East (Spanish) Harlem have about 2 million people. EVERYWHERE you go in those areas you here salsa, merengue, bachata being played on the streets. You have people playing dominoes in front of their buildings and selling sugar canes, mangos, bananas, etc on the streets. This is the same phenomenom as in upper Manhattan. They call Washington Heights, "Quisqueya Heights", just because it's so darn similar to Dominican Republic. So in my view, yes we do have more carribean culture. I am sorrounded by hispanic carribeans. All I hear is spanish being spoken on the streets. So I think you're underrating the carribean culture in NYC. If you ever come up here, you'd see how big of an influence it actually has. All of uptown Manhattan, and the west and south Bronx are about 80% Hispanic with over 2 million people. That is a significant amount of people. Also these areas are all adjacent to each other. So it just adds to the vastness. You get a feeling that you're not in NYC anymore...unless you take a train for 40 min to escape this vast carribean nation.

And down in Brooklyn you have a huge Afro-west Indian presence. When you combine both of these areas you'd get a very prominent and note worthy taste of carribean culture.

I'm not saying that Miami doesn't have carribean culture because it obviously does. You however sound suprise that some people are picking NYC.

Don't be.
west indians not including hispanics my friend. when it comes to hispanics miami is the clear winner which is why i made this thread for all the west indians/haitians.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
are you haitian/haitian-american?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah exactly! I mean I'm a fan of the cultural diversity in NYC! Love how well people from all backgrounds can come together and get along as an integral member of the existing society. But Latin American (South America, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, Gulf Countries) that's Miami's department to shine in.

If it was just Jamaican, then NYC hands down, no questions asked.

But the richest people from those countries have set up their bank headquarters in Miami for a reason, it's the largest collection of Latin American banks in the world. It's like saying Wall Street for stocks, but Miami for Latin American banks!!
lol you mean if it was just jamaican , trini , and guyanese lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City