Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

first off, i never said that miami only had haitians and cubans. i said that ny didn't.
lol @ getting salty over that.

second, ny's foreign population cannot be compared to miami. queens alone is the most diverse in the nation. there are probably more ppl from various caribbean nations in queens alone than all of miami. when you add on brooklyn and the bronx...smh.

its common knowledge that nyc has more dominicans and puerto ricans than san juan and santo domingo.
iirc, ny also has the second largest haitian population in the country.

when you do all those numbers and include nations that aren't as represented in our country, the numbers would heavily be in ny's favor.

calle ocho is nice. cool. but its not messing with the dominican day parade, pr day parade, west indian, etc. etc.

and the most recognized west indian neighborhood in the country is probably spanish harlem or washington heights. the thing about nyc tho is that you have a ton of ethnicities spread out all over the city so saying that little haiti is recognized by a lot of ppl means nothing when you compare it to ny. we have entire boroughs known for west indian populations (bk, the bronx, queens, manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
eek

dominicans stand up:

YouTube - DOMINICAN PARADE 2009 PART 1-SNIPEPRODUCTIONS.COM

Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
first off, i never said that miami only had haitians and cubans. i said that ny didn't.

second, ny's foreign population cannot be compared to miami. queens alone is the most diverse in the nation. there are probably more ppl from various caribbean nations in queens alone than all of miami. when you add on brooklyn and the bronx...smh.

its common knowledge that nyc has more dominicans and puerto ricans than san juan and santo domingo.

when you do all those numbers and include nations that aren't as represented in our country, the numbers would heavily be in ny's favor.

calle ocho is nice. cool. but its not messing with the dominican day parade, pr day parade, west indian, etc. etc.

and the most recognized west indian neighborhood in the country is probably spanish harlem or washington heights. the thing about nyc tho is that you have a ton of ethnicities spread out all over the city so saying that little haiti is recognized by a lot of ppl means nothing when you compare it to ny. we have entire boroughs known for west indian populations (bk, the bronx, queens, manhattan).
None of what you said means much when you factor in percentages. No ones really gonna notice the HUGE Caribbean population UNLESS there is a huge Rican parade going on, whereas it's ALWAYS 24/7, 365, more noticeable, in Miami. The only reason NYC's numbers are larger, is because it's a larger city. And I see once again you guys keep saying NY's Dominican and Puerto Rican parades are larger than Miami's, well using that logic I could say Miami's Cuban and Bahamian parades are larger than NY's, but that wouldn't mean much because they are only 2 nationalities. Ok you have whole boroughs, FL has whole counties of Caribbeans, FL has neighborhoods also just like NYC Little Havana, Little Haiti, etc. Dade County alone has one of the most diverse Latino populations in the US, probably more so than BK, BX, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Long Island, Spring Valley, or whatever NYC borough or suburb. Miami's Caribbean population is more recognizable, and at this present moment more famous.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:55 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
So polo, are you saying that Miami's caribbean or west indies population just simply has a larger impact or a larger presence than NYC's west indies population. Because if so, I agree.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:

Is it Maimi's fault that it's population stands at 420,000 in the city and 5.4 million in the metro? No, it's not. Versus NYC's 8 million in the city and 22 million in the metro.
NYC's city proper alone is larger than Miami's metro.

Next Miami is 80% foreign born population, the HIGHEST in the country, and 93% of that foreign born population claim Latin American/Caribbean ancestry.

What's the percentage of foreign born population for NYC from Latin America/Caribbean Islands?

Lets me know if you want me to get even more technical with this... Cause I'm ready to go there and prove you wrong.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Philly has the second largest Jamaican population, behind only NYC, it should be an option.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
None of what you said means much when you factor in percentages. No ones really gonna notice the HUGE Caribbean population UNLESS there is a huge Rican parade going on, whereas it's ALWAYS 24/7, 365, more noticeable, in Miami.
obviously you have never stepped foot into washington heights, east harlem, anywhere in the bronx, jamaica, jackson heights, etc.

its very 24/7, 365. one could live in said areas and not know english for their entire life and have no trouble getting by.

the difference is that miami has little else going for it (i'm not trying to belittle your city, i'm talking from an outsider's point of view. we only see miami for the beach and the caribbean culture) so of course some ppl notice it more but nyc has all of that and other things.

Quote:
The only reason NYC's numbers are larger, is because it's a larger city. And I see once again you guys keep saying NY's Dominican and Puerto Rican parades are larger than Miami's, well using that logic I could say Miami's Cuban and Bahamian parades are larger than NY's, but that wouldn't mean much because they are only 2 nationalities.
thats cool but remember that Queens alone is the most diverse area in the country and one of the most in the world...so even if you said x city has a larger x population, remember that queens has almost as many ppl of x ethnicity AND a ton of other ppl of other ethnicities.

also, i didn't say that nyc has a larger dominican and rican population than miami (which i'm sure that it does). i said it had a larger amount of dominicans and ricans than those two countries' capital cities.

Quote:
Ok you have whole boroughs, FL has whole counties of Caribbeans, FL has neighborhoods also just like NYC Little Havana, Little Haiti, etc. Dade County alone has one of the most diverse Latino populations in the US, probably more so than BK, BX, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Long Island, Spring Valley, or whatever NYC borough or suburb. Miami's Caribbean population is more recognizable, and at this present moment more famous.
are we talking about fl as a state now or miami as a city? which one??

i thought this was which city, not which state?

any way, i seriously doubt that miami has a more diverse latino population. we have all types of central american immigrants, mexicans, ppl from the caribbean, etc. in my borough alone. we're not even gonna talk about the bronx, manhattan, or brooklyn yet.

lastly, salsa music. google it. nyc has a larger impact than miami ever has when it comes to latinos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So polo, are you saying that Miami's caribbean or west indies population just simply has a larger impact or a larger presence than NYC's west indies population. Because if so, I agree.
that doesn't have anything to do with anything, tho.

miami is known as a caribbean hub whereas ny is known for other things. that doesn't mean that miami has better caribbean culture, however. ny has a lot of things going for it that make a large impact AND we notoriously have a large latino population, second only to los angeles i would think.

actually lets go with this argument tho...

where and how were salsa created (for example)? which area has had a bigger influence on culture here? nyc has a larger role than miami in that aspect. don't underestimate the impact that nyc has had over the years on the caribbean and vice versa.

many of your favorite latino actors, actresses, musicians, etc. are either from ny, lived in ny, got their start in ny, etc. etc.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Is it Maimi's fault that it's population stands at 420,000 in the city and 5.4 million in the metro? No, it's not. Versus NYC's 8 million in the city and 22 million in the metro.
NYC's city proper alone is larger than Miami's metro.

Next Miami is 80% foreign born population, the HIGHEST in the country, and 93% of that foreign born population claim Latin American/Caribbean ancestry.

What's the percentage of foreign born population for NYC from Latin America/Caribbean Islands?

Lets me know if you want me to get even more technical with this... Cause I'm ready to go there and prove you wrong.
thats fine and cool and whatever but there are like 800,000 puerto ricans living in nyc alone. thats more pr's living in nyc than there are ppl in miami and we're arguing about who has the best caribbean culture??

there are over 650,000 dominicans living in ny. thats more dominicans living in ny than there are ppl in miami.

there are 686, 814 ppl that indentify as non latino blacks that were born in various countries in the caribbean living in nyc. again, thats more west indians that aren't latino, living in nyc than ppl living in miami.

so how is this an argument?? no one is saying that its miami's fault that its smaller but why compare a poodle to a great dane?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
obviously you have never stepped foot into washington heights, east harlem, anywhere in the bronx, jamaica, jackson heights, etc.

its very 24/7, 365. one could live in said areas and not know english for their entire life and have no trouble getting by.

the difference is that miami has little else going for it (i'm not trying to belittle your city, i'm talking from an outsider's point of view. we only see miami for the beach and the caribbean culture) so of course some ppl notice it more but nyc has all of that and other things.

thats cool but remember that Queens alone is the most diverse area in the country and one of the most in the world...so even if you said x city has a larger x population, remember that queens has almost as many ppl of x ethnicity AND a ton of other ppl of other ethnicities.

also, i didn't say that nyc has a larger dominican and rican population than miami (which i'm sure that it does). i said it had a larger amount of dominicans and ricans than those two countries' capital cities.

are we talking about fl as a state now or miami as a city? which one??

i thought this was which city, not which state?

any way, i seriously doubt that miami has a more diverse latino population. we have all types of central american immigrants, mexicans, ppl from the caribbean, etc. in my borough alone. we're not even gonna talk about the bronx, manhattan, or brooklyn yet.

lastly, salsa music. google it. nyc has a larger impact than miami ever has when it comes to latinos.

that doesn't have anything to do with anything, tho.

miami is known as a caribbean hub whereas ny is known for other things. that doesn't mean that miami has better caribbean culture, however. ny has a lot of things going for it that make a large impact AND we notoriously have a large latino population, second only to los angeles i would think.

actually lets go with this argument tho...

where and how were salsa created (for example)? which area has had a bigger influence on culture here? nyc has a larger role than miami in that aspect. don't underestimate the impact that nyc has had over the years on the caribbean and vice versa.

many of your favorite latino actors, actresses, musicians, etc. are either from ny, lived in ny, got their start in ny, etc. etc.
I wans't talking about Florida as a whole I was talking about Dade County alone has a more diverse Latino population than any borough of NYC. It's a known fact that Miami has one of the most diverse Latino populations in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City