Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You guys keep talking about hip hop lol what's else can u add.. I bet I can name more thing that Miami has as a cultural impact than NYC..
hip hop is a black AMERICAN culture so i dont know why they said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 01:10 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Westbanknola I'm done too... Next thread door is closing.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you can't prove it tho.

at least post your experience in your neighborhood in miami, some numbers, videos, etc. supporting your viewpoint.

just making a statement doesn't make it so.

you can cop any of that in any fruit stand in ny and its nothing to see (as i said in my last post) somebody cutting sugar cane on the block.

have any of you actually been to nyc? i'm not talking midtown manhattan but east harlem, the heights, queens, brooklyn or the bronx??

trust me, 800k pr's, 650k dominicans, and i don't know how many mexicans/central americans/non latino west indians don't disappear in ANY city THAT easily.

lastly, reading that guy you posted's post...what bigger contribution than hip hop, which was created by a west indian or salsa music????? both of which have reached around the globe. i know in miami you hear cars blasting hip hop and salsa, correct? thank nyc for that.

what does nyc have to thank miami for?? ppl not really giving nyc credit when nyc is VERY dominant in this field. i think its because we're known for so much more while miami is only known for this one thing. again, that doesn't mean that it has a better caribbean culture. that just means that ppl think thats all it has.

we have more of a variety, meaning more cultures are represented. we have more of everything except the haitian population and the cuban population. everything else we have more of. the haitian population here is pretty high... even if you got rid of all the puerto ricans in the city, we still have more dominicans in our city than miami has ppl regardless of ethnicity.

i'm not understanding how its "miami easily."
Miami also has more Bahamians than NYC, and all the Latin-American groups except for Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans. You guys have Telemundo up there? That's a Miami contribution, you guys watch shows Univision? A majority of them were filmed in Miami. Reggae-tone artist like Tego Calderon, raised in Miami. I never said it was Miami easily.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
what fellow nyc posters?? ppl from miami with ny as their location? or what about others from other areas that have never been to nyc and claim its an easy "victory" for miami. come on son.

there are more ppl from the caribbean that live in ny than there are ppl in miami...but all of a sudden thats not supposed to matter at all. like these ppl don't bring their culture with them and add to nyc or to the rest of the country.

like salsa music doesn't exist. like hip hop wasn't started from a west indian. like marc anthony, j lo, fat joe, a rod, manny ramirez, pedro martinez, fulanito, etc. didn't come from or come through nyc.

come on. i doubt you have been to nyc as well. no way the poll should be 46 to 16 miami.

again, i have posted numbers, i have posted examples and i have posted my own personal experience growing up in queens.

so you give it up.
These 3 own a house or have lived in Miami at one point(A-rod was raised in Miami and went to Highschool in Miami, than the University Of Miami, Fat Joe owns a house in Miami and is there most of the year, J-Lo and Marc Anthony are part owners of the Miami Dolphins and own a house down there)

Old 05-15-2010, 01:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami also has more Bahamians than NYC, and all the Latin-American groups except for Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans. You guys have Telemundo up there? That's a Miami contribution, you guys watch shows Univision? A majority of them were filmed in Miami. Reggae-tone artist like Tego Calderon, raised in Miami. I never said it was Miami easily.
You forgot one of the all time best selling video games, GTA: Vice City, which has thoroughly displayed Haitian languages and culture within the game, which was meant to take place in Miami.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Mike, more ppl from more Caribbean nations means nothing because Miami is hot. Wow.

Nola, stay in the heights or east Harlem and then talk to me about dominance. And contributions to Latin culture dont matter now? Lol at this.
Let me explain this to you, Miami is a VERY small city in terms of land area(population 500,000), NYC is 5 LARGE islands(population 8million), the reason why NYC has MORE of these Caribbean ethnic groups than Miami has people, is because Miami is a small city in terms of land area, NOW if Miami encompassed ALL of Dade County(2.3million people in which 62% are Latino, 20% are black MOSTLY of West Indian descent), than the demographics would change drastically and they would favor Dade County just as much as they favor Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Bronx, possibly(not a guarantee) beating them.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
You forgot one of the all time best selling video games, GTA: Vice City, which has thoroughly displayed Haitian languages and culture within the game, which was meant to take place in Miami.
But gta 4 sold way more and it thoroughly displayed jamaican culture in the game, which took place in a city meant to resemble new york....I couldnt help myself

Old 05-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
But gta 4 sold way more and it thoroughly displayed jamaican culture in the game, which took place in a city meant to resemble new york....I couldnt help myself
Fair enough KONY, fair enough.

Did they ever make any geographical references about NYC and the city in the same? Like similarities. The way San Andreas did with California. Or Vice City with the nickname for Miami, with Vice City.

Did they ever speak in Jamaican languages in GTA 4? Or state they are of Jamiacan ancestry?

Did they ever pertain to any NYC nicknames to make it seem like it's NYC?

I'm asking because I haven't played GTA 4 so I wouldn't know... but now I'm curious to play it.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Fair enough KONY, fair enough.

Did they ever make any geographical references about NYC and the city in the same? Like similarities. The way San Andreas did with California. Or Vice City with the nickname for Miami, with Vice City.

Did they ever speak in Jamaican languages in GTA 4? Or state they are of Jamiacan ancestry?

Did they ever pertain to any NYC nicknames to make it seem like it's NYC?

I'm asking because I haven't played GTA 4 so I wouldn't know... but now I'm curious to play it.
the game resembles new york to a tee. Theres five boroughs. the name of the city is liberty city etc.

And there are key characters that live in the borough thats meant to represent brooklyn(i forgot the name) that speak the jamaican dialect

And nicknames is the least of it. They hired real new york radio djs to do voice over work for the game. The rap station for instance sounds just like hot.97 because the game has the same djs

Old 05-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the game resembles new york to a tee. Theres five boroughs. the name of the city is liberty city etc.

And there are key characters that live in the borough thats meant to represent brooklyn(i forgot the name) that speak the jamaican dialect

And nicknames is the least of it. They hired real new york radio djs to do voice over work for the game. The rap station for instance sounds just like hot.97 because the game has the same djs
Actually wait, yeah that sounds about right. One of my friends were talking about "Liberty City" as the name of the setting for a GTA game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City