Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami also has more Bahamians than NYC, and all the Latin-American groups except for Dominicans, and Puerto Ricans. You guys have Telemundo up there? That's a Miami contribution, you guys watch shows Univision? A majority of them were filmed in Miami. Reggae-tone artist like Tego Calderon, raised in Miami. I never said it was Miami easily.
The biggest latin group out Aventura is from none other than... The Bronx, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:24 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Over New York or Miami? I doubt that.
Not so fast. New Orleans and the southern half of Louisiana in general have very similar roots and history to Carribean, not simply immigrants and expats moving to the Northeast or anywhere else for that matter. The Creoles that settled the region orginally and later the Cajuns, though definitely not from Carribean region, settled in Louisiana because French culture already in place there, and spicy "southern" cooking and culture among them, and many of the black, as well as white, residents of New Orleans practice a form of voodoo, very similar to the Haitian version, and it ain't no recent vintage, either, being strongly present there since late 1700's (ever heard of Marie Laveau?), and simply the atmosphere in and around the area feels very much "like the islands", so to speak. To a lesser extent, even other areas of Gulf Coast (such as Galveston and other areas in coast of Texas east of Houston, coastal Mississippi and Alabama, Mobile in some ways like a mini-New Orleans, even western Florida Panhandle) has somewhat of "Carribean" feel, the spicy cooking, ultra-white beaches in eastern part of this region, pirate history, the Bayou-like setting of the creeks and swamps and bays, and just the general atmosphere (the Jimmy Buffett song "Creola" seems like could equally be set in Martinique or Cajun country). Miami might be the only city that truly feels more like it. How anyone would say Connecticut feels Carribean (even if lots of immigrants there) is beyond me. Yes, I know, many places have Carribean enclaves (even in London, Glasgow, and Paris), but New Orleans feels like the real thing and not of recent vintage.

Last edited by rxpwas; 05-16-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
liberty city = nyc.
bohan, algonquin, dukes and i forgot the name of the other borough of liberty city = brooklyn, bronx, manhattan and queens. one of the other islands in the game is supposed to be jersey city.

roosevelt island is in the game iirc. the statue of liberty is in the game...hot 97 is meant to be the beat in the game. etc. etc.

there are all types of references to ny in that game. the subway system, washington heights, the italians in jersey/alderney (i remembered the name now! lol). how could anyone that played the game not know that liberty city = nyc?? the reggae station? lil jacob, badman, etc?? the eastern europeans? coney island? the elevated subway lines as well as underground? the projects?

iirc it sold more than vice city. why are we even talking about video games, tho? anyway san andreas was better than both combined IMO and that was supposed to be about los angeles. rockstar needs to stop playing and just remake san andreas or a sequel to it.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
liberty city = nyc.
bohan, algonquin, dukes and i forgot the name of the other borough of liberty city = brooklyn, bronx, manhattan and queens. one of the other islands in the game is supposed to be jersey city.

roosevelt island is in the game iirc. the statue of liberty is in the game...hot 97 is meant to be the beat in the game. etc. etc.

there are all types of references to ny in that game. the subway system, washington heights, the italians in jersey/alderney (i remembered the name now! lol). how could anyone that play the game not know that liberty city = nyc?? the reggae station? lil jacob, badman, etc?? the eastern europeans? coney island? the elevated subway lines as well as underground? the projects?

iirc it sold more than vice city. why are we even talking about video games, tho? anyway san andreas was better than both combined IMO and that was supposed to be about los angeles.
Hey Eek, Me and you may disagree in ALOT of things on this thread, but this is one thing I REALLY agree with you on whole-heartedly. San Andreas was BY FAR the best GTA game EVER. You can actually drive and fly to other states and cities through different climates, you can't do that in Vice City or ANY of the Liberty City's. And instead of playing as a mobster and getting a view through a mobsters eyes, you play as a street gangster which in my opinion is better. I've been waiting for them to come out with a NEW San Andreas, like San Andreas stories or something, I hope they do instead of repeating and remaking all these Liberty City's.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Hey Eek, Me and you may disagree in ALOT of things on this thread, but this is one thing I REALLY agree with you on whole-heartedly. San Andreas was BY FAR the best GTA game EVER. You can actually drive and fly to other states and cities through different climates, you can't do that in Vice City or ANY of the Liberty City's. And instead of playing as a mobster and getting a view through a mobsters eyes, you play as a street gangster which in my opinion is better. I've been waiting for them to come out with a NEW San Andreas, like San Andreas stories or something, I hope they do instead of repeating and remaking all these Liberty City's.
I was just thinking the same last night. A GTAIV version of Los Santos would be nice for an expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Not so fast. New Orleans and the southern half of Louisiana in general have very similar roots and history to Carribean,
You could make a strong argument for that and I'd support it, but getting people on C-D to see that or even want to will be next to impossible. It's something that would require actually living in New Orleans and not just visit. It's definitley there though, especially with the blacks. The speech patterns, the way we eat, the way the school systems are, social patterns, city layout and development, architecture, etc. George Town, CY and parts of Jamaica and even Haiti could be twins with NOLA.

Most people will try to tell you that it's French, Cajun, or typically southern, (the 1st two are lies, the 3rd commonly accepted), but just stay here for 2+ weeks and see. Most people will never know the real New Orleans and many New Orleanians don't realize how different they are because they never leave (i.e. culture shock after Katrina) so I really don't see the point in arguing it.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 05-16-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I was just thinking the same last night. A GTAIV version of Los Santos would be nice for an expansion.

You could make a strong argument for that and I'd support it, but getting people on C-D to see that or even want to will be next to impossible. It's something that would require actually living in New Orleans and not just visit. It's definitley there though, especially with the blacks. The speech patterns, the way we eat, the way the school systems are, social patterns, city layout and development, architecture, etc. George Town, CY and parts of Jamaica and even Haiti could be twins with NOLA.

Most people will try to tell you that it's French, Cajun, or typically southern, (the 1st two are lies, the 3rd commonly accepted), but just stay here for 2+ weeks and see. Most people will never know the real New Orleans and many New Orleanians don't realize how different they are because they never leave (i.e. culture shock after Katrina) so I really don't see the point in arguing it.
Speaking of Louisiana (I live here in Ky., so what we here about oil slick situation in Gulf we simply see on news or on Internet or hear on radio), what, to your knowledge, is the situation with this current oil slick disaster in the Gulf? I feel for you guys down there, seems like every time you turn around something else happens, y'all never seem to get a break. God Bless Y'all, hope the best for you and your region and the wildlife and ecology as well as the people there. We were planning a trip to either Gulf Shores, Alabama, or much further down to Ft. Myers, FL. area (both a long way from you, but still on the Gulf), but are post-poning it for the moment. Peace, and have a great day.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

They are basing that on a lot of northeastern neighborhoods and areas that have Dominican or some other Latino or Carribean enclave or vibe about it. Not making light of what they are saying, but the culture of Louisiana and Gulf Coast, and of course South Florida/Miami area, and somewhat lesser extent Gullah and Geechee areas of the Carolinas and Georgia, which are very authentically Caribbean like, have been around MUCH longer and more regionally established, are literally part of the culture and overall region like they've always been there, not relatively recent arrivals.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

Exactly, they just keep remaking new versions of Liberty City, they need to go back to San Andreas. San Andreas was the most free-range out of all of them, you can drive or fly almost ANYWHERE in the interior Southwestern US in that game, it would be WAAY cooler if they made a modified version for XBox or PS3, heck even The Wii.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Speaking of Louisiana (I live here in Ky., so what we here about oil slick situation in Gulf we simply see on news or on Internet or hear on radio), what, to your knowledge, is the situation with this current oil slick disaster in the Gulf? I feel for you guys down there, seems like every time you turn around something else happens, y'all never seem to get a break. God Bless Y'all, hope the best for you and your region and the wildlife and ecology as well as the people there. We were planning a trip to either Gulf Shores, Alabama, or much further down to Ft. Myers, FL. area (both a long way from you, but still on the Gulf), but are post-poning it for the moment. Peace, and have a great day.
Well.. If I go outside I can smell oil and it makes my head hurt. Local fishermen are outraged, hundreds of lawyers have flocked to the city. Oyster beds east of the river are closed. Emergency fishing, etc. seasons were called. Gas and food prices haven't gone up yet, but are expected to. BP is trying to move all legal issues to Houston to try and minimize losses. Locals are taking clean up matters into their own hands.

2010 Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill | NOLA.com
Oil Spill Disaster | Fox 8 WVUE (www.fox8live.com/content/news/oilspill/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
San Andreas was cool because it was Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas combined. If you think about the pattern of how the GTA games have came out it was GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and then the last major one was GTA IV. If you follow the pattern Vice City always follows Liberty City so you'd expect Vice City to get a new version just like GTA IV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City